Dimebag Darrel just died

open forum for any and all conversations

Moderators: Brian, Metalfreak, MS_39455, AtlantaMetal Staff

ratanda
AtlantaMetal Staff

Post by ratanda » Wed December 8th, 2004, 11:54 pm

Holy Fucking Shit...

<a href='http://www.nbc4i.com/news/3983630/detail.html' target='_blank'>http://www.nbc4i.com/news/3983630/detail.html</a>

At Least 3 Dead, 4 Wounded In Nightclub Shooting
Witnesses: Alleged Gunman Went Onto Stage, Fired Shots

POSTED: 10:32 pm EST December 8, 2004
UPDATED: 11:36 pm EST December 8, 2004

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- At least three people died and four others were wounded after a shooting at a Columbus nightclub on Wednesday night, NBC 4 reported.

The shooting took place shortly after 10 p.m. at Alrosa Villa, located at 5055 Sinclair Road.

Two members of the heavy metal band Damageplan were reportedly shot and killed, including Dimebag Darrell, formerly with the band Pantera, NBC 4's David Wayne reported. The alleged gunman also died at the scene, Wayne reported.

Shortly after the band began playing its first song, a man reportedly ran onto the stage and began shooting, according to a witness who identified himself as Sean. Some members of the audience reportedly thought the man running onto the stage with a gun was part of the band's act, NBC 4's Erin Tate reported.

Witnesses said that several shots were fired at the band. Witnesses said that a bouncer at the club tackled the alleged gunman before that person was shot and killed. It was unclear as to whom shot the alleged gunman.

Alrosa Villa is a popular north Columbus nightspot for young adults, featuring rock and heavy metal bands, NBC 4 reported.

According to the band's Web site, Damageplan was touring nationally. It performed in Buffalo, N.Y., on Tuesday night and had a concert scheduled in Flint, Mich., on Thursday.

Damageplan featured former Pantera artists Dimebag Darrell and Vinnie Paul. The pair were joined by vocalist Patrick Lachman and bassist Bobzilla, according to their Web site.

Watch NBC 4 and refresh nbc4i.com for additional information.

Matt

Post by Matt » Thu December 9th, 2004, 12:21 am

:( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(
your church was turned into an abortion clinic and we use it all the time... sluts!!!

DarkWolfen

Post by DarkWolfen » Thu December 9th, 2004, 12:28 am

What the fuck....no Pantera reunion tour now. :( :(

DarkWolfen

Post by DarkWolfen » Thu December 9th, 2004, 12:54 am

According to the people that went to the Damageplan concert said they saw Dimebag take one shot to the head point blank range. Unknown the fate of Vinnie though. I know Phil and them have had their differences, now it must be really sketchy. :(

Death

Post by Death » Thu December 9th, 2004, 1:45 am

If this could only happen at a Metallica concert. Think how we would react to that. If Lara Ulrich and Kirk were killed, would we even want to tribute them? :3v1l:

E.J. Diarrheaspray

Post by E.J. Diarrheaspray » Thu December 9th, 2004, 2:14 am

This is REALLY screwed up. It doesn't seem like anyone knows who besides Darrell is dead. Even though I'm no Damageplan or Pantera fan, this is really fucked up. This could've happened at ANY show

DarkWolfen

Post by DarkWolfen » Thu December 9th, 2004, 4:01 am

Another link from CNN says Vinnie Paul is dead too...and that Dimebag was shot 4 times. Just keeps getting worse. :(

Gunman kills 4 at Ohio nightclub
Police officer shoots suspect to death
Thursday, December 9, 2004 Posted: 2:12 AM EST (0712 GMT)

Police block the entrance to the nightclub after the shooting.

COLUMBUS, Ohio (CNN) -- A gunman opened fire Wednesday night during a heavy metal concert in Columbus, killing four people -- including at least one member of the band -- and critically wounding at least two others before a police officer shot and killed him, according to Columbus police.

The attacker leapt onstage as the group, Damageplan, performed, and began "targeting members in the band," Sgt. Brent Mull said.

Two others were injured in the incident, although the nature of their injuries was not clear.

According to eyewitness accounts, the gunman initially shot and killed the band's guitarist, Dimebag Darrell. Darrell, 38, and his brother, Vinnie Paul, 40, are former members of Pantera -- a group they formed in the 1980s. Their father is Jerry Abbott, a country and western songwriter and producer.

Police were notified of the shooting at the Alrosa Villa nightclub on the city's north end around 10:18 p.m. ET, Mull said. A uniformed police officer who was in the area slipped into the venue from a back entrance, confronted the gunman during the rampage and killed him.

"If not for the officer who showed up, there would have been more dead," Mull said.

Police have roped off a huge area of the nightclub's parking lot, as 60 detectives question hundreds of witnesses. Police have brought in buses to keep the witnesses warm as they wait to be questioned.

Calvin Bota said he saw the shooting from the mosh pit right in front of the stage, shortly after the band began playing.

"Somebody came -- I don't know where they came from, out of the audience or whatnot -- but they come onto (the) stage and ... he shot the guitarist at first, fired a couple of other shots and then he hid behind the stage a little bit," Bota told WSYX.

"Everybody started scattering, you know, there's mayhem everywhere. And then a police officer came into the building, you know, came in professional with his gun raised and then he proceeded to shoot the guy."

Gerald Caudill told WSYX the gunman shot the guitarist at least four times.

"I was up close to the stage and I just saw some guy run up on the side of the stage and I heard some shots and I saw (drummer) Vinnie Paul and somebody jumped on top of Vinnie, and the guy just stayed around the stage and started shooting other people," Caudill said.

"I saw wounded people all over the place, out in the parking lot, inside," he said. "It just didn't sound like gunshots or anything, it didn't occur to me that something like that was happening."

<a href='http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/12/09/nightc ... index.html' target='_blank'>http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/12/09/nightc ... ex.html</a>

between 3 and 32 characte

Post by between 3 and 32 characte » Thu December 9th, 2004, 6:28 am

.................................................................................................................................................

Greg
WREKage Staff

Post by Greg » Thu December 9th, 2004, 7:20 am

This was the first thing I saw on tv when I woke up this morning, not really the way I wanted to start my day.

Man... Pantera was my favorite band growing up, and though I don't hardly listen to them any now nor do I really like Damageplan it's still stunning to think of this happening. Like EJ said this could have happened at any show, we all know there are a lot of bands out their that are much heavier in terms of sound and subject matter whose fans would appear to be more dangerous as well.

I won't say two of my heroes have fallen since that's a term that gets thrown around way too loosely these days, but two people who brought much entertainment and joy to my life when I was younger have passed. Guess we'll have to hold an impromptu Wrekage memorial this friday for them.

ProstheticHead12

Post by ProstheticHead12 » Thu December 9th, 2004, 10:26 am

is it confirmed that vinnie died also? the recent stuff i've read said dimebag and a few audience members were the only confirmed deaths.

this is really sad and shitty that someone felt the need to gun him down. i think i'll also do some kind of tribute next tues. fuck.
Fuck it, Dude, let's go bowling.

Fn Dan

Post by Fn Dan » Thu December 9th, 2004, 12:15 pm

I keep hearing conflicting reports about Vinnie. I think I saw in some link, I can't remember which, that a witness said he saw Vinnie fall from behind his kit. That's the most I've heard about Vinnie.

I have to admit, I've often thought about how easily something like that could happen at the Masquerade. As much as I hate waiting in lines to get searched so I can get into the place, something like this could have happened at just about any club. I think I heard on CNN (yeah, really realiable source) that the gunman may have been able to get on stage because the band knew him.

If I were a prosecutor in Columbus, Ohio, I'd be looking for Phil Anselmo right now. Just a couple of weeks ago, Phil ranted to some reporters about how Darrell needed to have his ass kicked. There's no telling what he said to other people. Considering that the gunmen is alleged to have said some things about Pantera, there is no telling what motivated him to do this, and Phil's words could have possibly set him off.

Even though I'm not a fan of Damageplan's music, Vinnie and Darrell were cool guys. They were what metal was supposed to be about. They played music because they loved it, and they had fun doing it. Darrell will be greatly missed. Hopefully, someone will get some accurate information shortly, that provides the condition of Vinnie.

Chris Masochist

Post by Chris Masochist » Thu December 9th, 2004, 2:43 pm

This comes from blabbermouth.net and I always had an idea that there might be a video or even audio of this shit that happened at the club. Here is my question to you guys. There is no doubt this footage will hit the internet soon enough. Will you download and watch it?

Me... I can't

"Amateur video was taken from inside the Alrosa Villa nightclub and investigators were examining the tape to see if they could determine the events that led to the shootings."

BoB

Post by BoB » Thu December 9th, 2004, 5:00 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Fn Dan+Dec 9 2004, 12:15 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Fn Dan &#064; Dec 9 2004, 12:15 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> I have to admit, I've often thought about how easily something like that could happen at the Masquerade. [/quote]
So Dan, you knew about this and could have stopped it??? You bastard...

As big a poser as Diamond Darrel was, this really is sad. Hopefully this wasn't just a random thing... btw: Vinnie was not shot, from what I read.

One of the concerts that I recall as the most fun was Pantera at Center Stage - I didn't really care for their CDs but the live show was great.

So will this propel Mr Abbott into super stardom, ala Cobain or Rhodes?

Asrynth

Post by Asrynth » Thu December 9th, 2004, 5:19 pm

What an extremely Ignominious deed, The gunman got what he deserved.

TheKshatriya

Post by TheKshatriya » Thu December 9th, 2004, 5:59 pm

no good