Metal shows getting boring

open forum for any and all conversations

Moderators: Brian, Metalfreak, MS_39455, AtlantaMetal Staff

TheKshatriya

Post by TheKshatriya » Mon December 13th, 2004, 3:33 pm

Has anyone else noticed that metal shows having progressively gotten less and less energertic and more boring. Though the band might sounds really good, they might have no stage presence. I dont mean like talking to the crowd between songs and giving a high five every now and then. I mean like the singer and the rest of the band taking control of the crowd and getting the energy lever really high and getting people people to have fun. I remember watching videos of metal bands in the late 80s and early 90s and people were going nuts. People were stage diving, crowd surfing, getting on stage, and over all people were just going completely insane. With the exception of Skinless I havent seen really any real crowd/band interaction in metal since i have been going to shows. Its always been the band on stage and the people watching in the crowd with no interaction. Maybe its just me though. Well, maybe everyone is older now but all the younger kids about my age dont act like the previous generation at concerts. Now iv seen people try to stage dive at metal shows and everyone gets pissed, but i hardly ever see anyone do it any more. The best show I have ever played the whole entire floor was going nuts and people were stage diving and crowd walking and just having so much fun and were always moving around. Well i guess that was my rant. Anyone agree? Or think im just crazy?

E.J. Diarrheaspray

Post by E.J. Diarrheaspray » Mon December 13th, 2004, 4:18 pm

Hardly anyone cares anymore. You can promote until you're blue in the face on WREKage and by putting posters around town, etc. and only the same people show up.

TheKshatriya

Post by TheKshatriya » Mon December 13th, 2004, 5:06 pm

i didnt mean the turn out

dumpVokillist

Post by dumpVokillist » Mon December 13th, 2004, 7:03 pm

i think he wishes there were super rad sick pits to get rowdy in. :m1c:

BoB

Post by BoB » Tue December 14th, 2004, 2:37 pm

Yeah Neal, the videos you saw were probably a fairly common representation of what was going on. A few of my opinions:
1) crowd surfing, pits, etc ended up happening at almost every concert even if the music didn't warrant that (lollipopLoosas, etc basic rock). The overuse probably led to some of the demise since metal has been somewhat an elitist thing.
2) the music has changed. Speed & thrash from the late 80s were more of a "lets get fucked up and have a good time" kinda music. I can't really see partying that much to extreme br00t4l metal...

diablomozart

Post by diablomozart » Tue December 14th, 2004, 7:18 pm

well...getting more people out to the shows would help...it only takes one or two rowdy people in a crowd to get it fired up...and all the metal out there isn't necessarily extreme metal...you just have to look for the rest of us...lol...peace...d.m.

Greg
WREKage Staff

Post by Greg » Wed December 15th, 2004, 12:14 am

<!--QuoteBegin-bobnoxious+Dec 14 2004, 02:37 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (bobnoxious &#064; Dec 14 2004, 02:37 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> 2) the music has changed.&nbsp; Speed & thrash from the late 80s were more of a "lets get fucked up and have a good time" kinda music.&nbsp; I can't really see partying that much to extreme br00t4l metal... [/quote]
I agree with this - I was just thinking about this the other day, how up until a few years ago you could count on just about every metal album you heard, whether the entire thing was good or not, having head-bangable riffs throughout the entire album, but this seems to have been sacrificed in favor of either pure, almost unlistenable speed or bouts of equally almost unlistenable melodies. Where have all the killer riffs gone? Save for a few albums here and there the art of soloing and riffing is definitely dying out.

Take Pantera for instance - after listening to all their albums from Cowboys to Reinventing the Steel last week, I re-remembered how much fun it was back in the day to just headbang along with just about every single track because most of them had killer riffs. That element of making music to please a pit seems to have all but vanished these days, everything is too technical, too much "I can play faster than you can" out there. A lot of the heart is gone.

Furthermore, the more energetic shows these days are rock shows like all those garage-rock revival bands you see all over mtv these days. Their shows might wind up being more fun to go to but holy shit does the music suck. Not enough of a trade-off in my opinion.

God of Brutality

Post by God of Brutality » Wed December 15th, 2004, 12:39 pm

It has always seemed the more people you got standing there with there arms crossed the better the band was. death metal doesnt have the grove parts that uselly get a pit going. Atlanta has never had huge mosh pits at death metal show only at mainstream metal bands, ministry has to been the largest pit I ever seen, on the lawn at lakewood 3 circle pits going with bonfires in the middle.

BlazeTSU
AtlantaMetal Staff

Post by BlazeTSU » Thu December 23rd, 2004, 5:18 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Greg+Dec 15 2004, 12:14 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Greg &#064; Dec 15 2004, 12:14 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> <!--QuoteBegin-bobnoxious+Dec 14 2004, 02:37 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (bobnoxious &#064; Dec 14 2004, 02:37 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> 2) the music has changed. Speed & thrash from the late 80s were more of a "lets get fucked up and have a good time" kinda music. I can't really see partying that much to extreme br00t4l metal... [/quote]
I agree with this - I was just thinking about this the other day, how up until a few years ago you could count on just about every metal album you heard, whether the entire thing was good or not, having head-bangable riffs throughout the entire album, but this seems to have been sacrificed in favor of either pure, almost unlistenable speed or bouts of equally almost unlistenable melodies. Where have all the killer riffs gone? Save for a few albums here and there the art of soloing and riffing is definitely dying out.

Take Pantera for instance - after listening to all their albums from Cowboys to Reinventing the Steel last week, I re-remembered how much fun it was back in the day to just headbang along with just about every single track because most of them had killer riffs. That element of making music to please a pit seems to have all but vanished these days, everything is too technical, too much "I can play faster than you can" out there. A lot of the heart is gone.

Furthermore, the more energetic shows these days are rock shows like all those garage-rock revival bands you see all over mtv these days. Their shows might wind up being more fun to go to but holy shit does the music suck. Not enough of a trade-off in my opinion. [/quote]
i'm with greg here! i've been listening to pantera the past week and "rediscovering" what made us all like them. old metal is stuff you can sink your teeth into. you can really feel what the song is doing. you remember riffs, lyrics, vocals.....etc......nowadays everything is either stupid fast or its metalcore that all sounds exactly the same......AND SUCKS! shows get boring b/c every song sounds the same. and sure, the first super sick fast show you ever see...youre blown away, but after hundreds of them it starts to lose its appeal. i'm ready to take it back to the days of leather and bullet belts, verses and chorus, killer riffs and song structures.

most importantly........A LITTLE ORIGINALITY!