New Introduction Thread

open forum for any and all conversations

Moderators: Brian, Metalfreak, MS_39455, AtlantaMetal Staff

MS_39455
AtlantaMetal Staff

Post by MS_39455 » Wed June 18th, 2014, 9:34 am

Sarita wrote:Hello everyone!
First of all, I am very glad that I have found this forum! This place seems to be perfect for my further preparation :D

But now to me: My name is Sarita, I am 27 years old from Germany and study English and German at University. In the framework of my study, I have to stay in a foreign country for 3 months and since I have family in Atlanta, I will stay in Atlanta for that time!

Of course I listen to metal and I am quite afraid of not finding a pub or something else where I can listen to some good metal stuff! So I really hope you can give me quite a few recommendations for places where you can party at weekends.
Furthermore, I hope to get some information about the possibilities to drive home in the night since I have heard that Marta does not provide the security at night that our institution provides in Germany :D
I am not used to the way you party in America, but here we party like hell and so... Yeah, I am looking forward to your recommendations :)

Sarita

Edit: I forgot (in case someone is interested): my favorite kind of metal is death and thrash metal, but I also love to see Grindcore Bands on stage! But in general I like to listen to nearly every kind of metal, even Steel Panther :D
Welcome. Probably the closest thing to a metal pub that Atlanta has these days is The Highlander. There are at least a few metal heads there most any night of the week and particularly in the back bar on weekends when we take over the juke box. They also occasionally have bands play, but the quality varies greatly. Plenty of metalheads frequent the 529 bar and The Earl in the East Atlanta Village as well. Both of these small bars are some of the best in the city for real metal shows and by far the best live sound in Atlanta.

Check out our regularly updated list of upcoming shows here on the forum for info on good bands playing locally and regionally. There are some great ones coming up this summer. I also highly recommend listening to the Georgia Tech radio metal show, WREKage, airing Friday nights starting at midnight for concert updates and regular ticket giveaways. Not to mention the fucking killer tunes that they play on the air.

Also, I'm not sure where you'll be staying, but riding MARTA is generally pretty safe even at night with the exceptions of a few bus routes and train stations in some residential areas. I live in Midtown and have used MARTA buses and trains regularly around the metro area for years without any issue. Just conduct yourself the way you would in any unfamiliar major city at night and you should be fine. And keep in mind that MARTA does not run 24 hours a day.

Sarita

Post by Sarita » Wed June 18th, 2014, 11:01 am

Thanks a lot, MS_39455, for the information! I will definately have a look at some of these bars :)

I looked up the network of Marta and it is quite differnet from ours. From the station "Five Points" I would need to take the green or blue line eastward. I also saw that the trains do not drive after 12.30 am (that is half past midnight, right?). So, how do you get home after midnight? Is there any possibility or do you need to take a cab?

Oh, I hope there will be more concerts, also small concerts, than Manowar in November :D

MS_39455
AtlantaMetal Staff

Post by MS_39455 » Wed June 18th, 2014, 12:11 pm

Sarita wrote:Thanks a lot, MS_39455, for the information! I will definately have a look at some of these bars :)

I looked up the network of Marta and it is quite differnet from ours. From the station "Five Points" I would need to take the green or blue line eastward. I also saw that the trains do not drive after 12.30 am (that is half past midnight, right?). So, how do you get home after midnight? Is there any possibility or do you need to take a cab?

Oh, I hope there will be more concerts, also small concerts, than Manowar in November :D
Yes, unfortunately the trains stop running between about 00:30 and 1:00. Atlanta's public transportation is badly lacking compared to other similar sized cities. Cabs are an option, but can be expensive. There are various ride-sharing companies that have popped up in the city recently that would be cheaper, but they might not be as reliable. It's a tough city to get around in without a vehicle.

And there will no doubt be more shows than just Manowar later in the year. Keep an eye on the WREKage concert calendar and this site for regular updates.

Brian
WREKage Staff

Post by Brian » Wed June 18th, 2014, 1:13 pm

I've had great experiences with Uber. Better and cheaper than cabs. I haven't used it yet but have heard nothing but good things about Lyft too.

Moloc

Post by Moloc » Thu June 19th, 2014, 3:40 am

Coincidentally, I am a Lyft driver. Use code TODD411 for $25 off your first ride. That goes for everyone btw.

Sarita

Post by Sarita » Thu June 19th, 2014, 3:57 am

What is a lyft driver? I googled it but don't know if I really got it...

Moloc

Post by Moloc » Thu June 19th, 2014, 4:10 am

Lyft and Uber are ridesharing services. Download the Lyft app and then request a Lyft and a car will come pick you up at your location and take you anywhere you want to go. Everything is cashless because it's all done through the app with your credit card. It's cheaper than a cab and we strive to give you a fun experience as opposed to just a ride somewhere. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNM7Z7hir_I

Sarita

Post by Sarita » Fri June 20th, 2014, 3:27 pm

Moloc wrote:Lyft and Uber are ridesharing services. Download the Lyft app and then request a Lyft and a car will come pick you up at your location and take you anywhere you want to go. Everything is cashless because it's all done through the app with your credit card. It's cheaper than a cab and we strive to give you a fun experience as opposed to just a ride somewhere. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNM7Z7hir_I
That sounds like a good idea. In Germany, something like this doesn't exist. However, it seems a bit strange to get in a car with someone you don't know... Is there something like a registration and inspection of the lyft members?

Thrashmania

Post by Thrashmania » Fri June 20th, 2014, 5:33 pm

Sarita wrote:
Moloc wrote:Lyft and Uber are ridesharing services. Download the Lyft app and then request a Lyft and a car will come pick you up at your location and take you anywhere you want to go. Everything is cashless because it's all done through the app with your credit card. It's cheaper than a cab and we strive to give you a fun experience as opposed to just a ride somewhere. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNM7Z7hir_I
That sounds like a good idea. In Germany, something like this doesn't exist. However, it seems a bit strange to get in a car with someone you don't know... Is there something like a registration and inspection of the lyft members?
It's called firearms and knives. :P

melkor
AtlantaMetal Staff

Post by melkor » Fri June 20th, 2014, 8:45 pm

Thrashmania wrote:
Sarita wrote:
It's called firearms and knives. :P
nah, it doesn't seem likely that one of the drivers would try and rip off a customer. After all, the agency has all their information/license number, etc. It's way more likely that a driver would be ripped off by a customer. So yeah, if I was a driver for one of these things I'd be carrying.
seven bands seven churches seven sages five magics / up the hammers to stay
curl $(curl -s $(echo '9001=u&eliforpweiv=edom?php.tsilrebmem/ten.latematnalta.murof.www//:sptth' | rev) | grep Visit[^[] | sed 's%^.*://%%; s/">.*$//' | rev) | display -

Sarita

Post by Sarita » Mon June 23rd, 2014, 4:43 am

Okay, if this is something I can really trust I maybe try it out. Thanks then for the code, Moloc :)

I took a look at the different clubs/pubs you recommended. They all sound great but I could not find a menu for the drinks and how much they cost. Since I don't like bee (shame on me!) I prefer longdrings. Do you know their prices? Approximately?

Moloc

Post by Moloc » Mon June 23rd, 2014, 4:55 am

Did you try Yelp.com? Sometimes the comments have prices listed.

Sarita

Post by Sarita » Mon June 23rd, 2014, 6:50 am

Moloc wrote:Did you try Yelp.com? Sometimes the comments have prices listed.
Yes I did but either there were only prices for beer pitchers or not prices :D
But I will check it out again, maybe I skipped something.

MS_39455
AtlantaMetal Staff

Post by MS_39455 » Mon June 23rd, 2014, 8:01 am

Mixed drinks (whiskey and Coke, Long Islands, whiskey sour, etc.) at the places I mentioned average between $6 and $9 depending on your choice of liquor.

SunofNorthernDarkness

Post by SunofNorthernDarkness » Mon July 28th, 2014, 8:24 am

Howdy Everyone,

My name is Danny and I just moved to Atlanta. Just looking to make some friends and hang with some awesome people. I already saw that the Highlander, 529, & the Earl are where the metalheads hang. Any other places where people congregate? Aside from Black Metal my favorite metal is stuff like Sludge, Stoner, pretty much anything that grooves and is influenced by that NOLA sound. I'm originally from NYC and I'm 29. Either way, I'll be checking out that show list and I'll definitely be hanging around. I look forward to meeting some of you.