New Introduction Thread

open forum for any and all conversations

Moderators: Brian, Metalfreak, MS_39455, AtlantaMetal Staff

Moloc

Post by Moloc » Thu June 28th, 2012, 8:23 am

Welcome to the forums. And congratulations on being the new host of WNGTI. I used to do the Oddly Enough Show with Odd Todd on WRAS about seven years ago. I'm sure you remember it (HA!). I used to fill in sometimes on WNGTI for Jordan, The Evil Overlord of Hell (whom I've attempted to get to join these forums for years now but he's still a lurker). I used to piss him off by playing the theme song at the wrong speed (I hate that song).

Anyway, I've met a lot of great folks on this board. I'm sure you'll fit right in.

spookyapplesauce
WRAS Staff

Post by spookyapplesauce » Thu June 28th, 2012, 1:19 pm

Heh, thank you. I hate that song too! :)

What kind of stuff did you play on that show? I've actually started a semi-project where I collect a little bit on information on former WRAS specialty shows. I feel like we need a bit more diversity these days and it may help to know what came before.

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Thu June 28th, 2012, 1:47 pm

Welcome to the board Lauryn!
<a href="http://spewtilator.bandcamp.com">SPEWTILATOR</a> - Badass motherfuckin' street cops with nothing to lose who don't play by the rules and are out for blood.
Tricalibur wrote:I am looking for Skullcrusher and Dynamo.

spookyapplesauce
WRAS Staff

Post by spookyapplesauce » Thu June 28th, 2012, 2:09 pm

Ryan wrote:Welcome to the board Lauryn!
Thank you, sir. I've been lurking for a bit, but it's so nice to interact.

Moloc

Post by Moloc » Thu June 28th, 2012, 2:14 pm

spookyapplesauce wrote:Heh, thank you. I hate that song too! :)

What kind of stuff did you play on that show? I've actually started a semi-project where I collect a little bit on information on former WRAS specialty shows. I feel like we need a bit more diversity these days and it may help to know what came before.
I played some pretty weird stuff... anything bizarre, but I also played some stand-up comedy and Weird Al Yankovic. I played a lot of old novelty music, too--stuff like Tom Lehrer and Barnes and Barnes ("Fish Heads"). I got a lot of my stuff from the Atlanta Record and CD Show that happens ever few months at the Marriott just off I85 and Clairemont -- https://www.I_LOVE_ZUCKERPENIS.com/atlanta.recordshow. It's a gold mine in there.

My favorite moment on the show was when I interviewed Stephen Lynch, a comedy singer/songwriter, and he played his song "Talk to Me"--all about a kid getting caught wacking off by his dad. This was a special afternoon episode of the show because Lynch was our special guest. When the song went over the air the GM came bursting in the studio and told us to tone it down. "We'll get in trouble with the FCC! You can't play stuff like that!"

Another time we had this local theater group come in and do their version of "The Life of the Fly" (which supposedly lives for only 24 hours). They went nuts acting out the entire life of a fly through its childhood to finding a mate and then dying all in a one day. (OK, it loses something being recreated here on an internet forum, but it was hilarious.)

Stop me, I'm reminiscing too much...

Josh

Post by Josh » Thu June 28th, 2012, 3:23 pm

spookyapplesauce wrote:
Please do us all a favor and play some metal on Monday nights! The last five times Iv'e tuned into were not gonna take it, there's been nothing but skinnyjeanscore playing. It's very frustrating

spookyapplesauce
WRAS Staff

Post by spookyapplesauce » Thu June 28th, 2012, 3:37 pm

Josh wrote:
spookyapplesauce wrote:
Please do us all a favor and play some metal on Monday nights! The last five times Iv'e tuned into were not gonna take it, there's been nothing but skinnyjeanscore playing. It's very frustrating
Here's the link to my set lists for the past 5 weeks, since I've taken over. Let me know if that's stuff that you'd like to hear.

http://www.wrasmetal.blogspot.com

stewvee

Post by stewvee » Thu June 28th, 2012, 3:57 pm

Josh wrote:skinnyjeanscore playing. It's very frustrating
Brian wrote:dance, monkey, dance!!
http://chipsandbeermag.tumblr.com/

spookyapplesauce
WRAS Staff

Post by spookyapplesauce » Thu June 28th, 2012, 4:07 pm

I play only a little metalcore.. though there is plenty of good stuff in that genre. I have eliminated hardcore from the show as it has nothing to do with metal.

Mostly I've been playing sludge, stoner, doom, black metal, death metal, grind, atmospheric stuff, etc. Not much skinnyjeancore there... though I won't pretend to give a damn about the clothes anyone is wearing. :)

Knucklehead

Post by Knucklehead » Thu June 28th, 2012, 7:12 pm

Welcome!

You're being hazed. You've opened yourself up to a whole lot of "dude, you didn't play any [insert band name here]! Show sucks!"

But seriously, where is the fuckin' Darkthrone?

spookyapplesauce
WRAS Staff

Post by spookyapplesauce » Thu June 28th, 2012, 7:51 pm

Knucklehead wrote:Welcome!

You're being hazed. You've opened yourself up to a whole lot of "dude, you didn't play any [insert band name here]! Show sucks!"

Hi, thanks. I knew I was opening myself up to that when I signed on for the show. The hardcore stuff was serious though. A few hosts before me played lots and lots of it. It's not metal at all and I can understand the complaints for it being on the show.

As for Darkthrone, or any other band I haven't played yet, I'll get there. I've only done 10 hours so far, and thankfully I've not come close to exhausting my music library. There's plenty more to come.

stygian will

Post by stygian will » Thu June 28th, 2012, 8:37 pm

spookyapplesauce wrote:
Josh wrote:
spookyapplesauce wrote:
Here's the link to my set lists for the past 5 weeks, since I've taken over. Let me know if that's stuff that you'd like to hear.

http://www.wrasmetal.blogspot.com[/quote
that almost reads like my MP3 player on random .......
BTW its a requirement that you attend grad school at some point if you listen to atmospheric metal......thank you for continuing the tradition (GSU MS 1997 Policy Analysis) :shock: :D
"Du sollst werden, der du bist"
Nietzsche

badcarburetor

Post by badcarburetor » Tue July 3rd, 2012, 5:43 pm

Welcome. I also got a film degree from GSU and then had to go to library school to make a living in a (theoretically) air conditioned workplace. Lemme know if you have any questions about the process.

And, seriously, where's the Darkthrone?
"God created the devil? At least he did *something* cool." Homer J. Simpson

Odinson666

Post by Odinson666 » Tue July 10th, 2012, 9:07 am

spookyapplesauce wrote:
Knucklehead wrote:Welcome!

Hi, thanks. I knew I was opening myself up to that when I signed on for the show. The hardcore stuff was serious though. A few hosts before me played lots and lots of it. It's not metal at all and I can understand the complaints for it being on the show.

As for Darkthrone, or any other band I haven't played yet, I'll get there. I've only done 10 hours so far, and thankfully I've not come close to exhausting my music library. There's plenty more to come.
No complaints...but a suggestion would be since the show is named after a twisted sister song to represent some of the classics...diamond head, maiden, priest , merciful fate ...all have deeper cuts that wouldn't cheese it up too much...so not saying bust out the aqua net with crimson glory but rep the classics a bit

Kaganator

Post by Kaganator » Wed July 11th, 2012, 1:42 am

Knucklehead wrote:Image
The pedo-stache still cracks me up.
Nice Mustache Brian.