What are you reading?

open forum for any and all conversations

Moderators: Brian, Metalfreak, MS_39455, AtlantaMetal Staff

badcarburetor

What are you reading?

Post by badcarburetor » Fri July 2nd, 2010, 2:35 pm

I looked around and only found this nugget: http://forum.atlantametal.net/viewtopic ... ht=reading. It's not exactly what I was thinking of, so I'm starting this thread. If a mod thinks it should be merged, so be it.

I just finished Spray Paint the Walls: The Story of Black Flag by Stevie Chick. It's a British edition. Very well researched and documented. Nearly academic, but still a fun read and totally worth the effort for any fan of the Flag.

That propelled me into finally reading Get in the Van. I'd been putting it off forever because ol' Hammerin' Hank can be just as twit-ish as our good buddy Danzig and I didn't want to read anything that would diminish my enjoyment of the mighty Black Flag. I'm sure that Rollins would justify himself as "hating everyone" during that time, but, man, does he come off like the typical terrified-of-women misogynist. There are parts of Get in the Van that are amusing, but for the most part it's just so ridiculously self righteous and overly serious that's only amusing as unintentional comedy. Sad that. It could be quite an intelligent and entertaining book if it wasn't filled with so much contradictory and straight up silly bullshit.

GameFreac

Post by GameFreac » Fri July 2nd, 2010, 3:14 pm

Lords of Chaos.

I had to rip the cover off so my mom wouldn't turn into Satan if she accidentally saw it on the bathroom floor. :lol:

Diana

Post by Diana » Fri July 2nd, 2010, 3:18 pm

I have never read "Get in the Van," so I have just added it to the Amazon Wish List. We should all read it and then have a Book Club Kegger so you fuckers can trash my house. Sound good?

I just finished reading "The Barbary Plague: The Black Death in San Francisco." Now I'm in the middle of "Darkness: Two Decades of Modern Horror." Except now it's Magazine Week so I just killed Decibel and I'm about to start on Rue Morgue, then after that Fangoria because I can't quit Fangoria no matter how sycophantic and hypocritical they are. Mostly I cut out the pictures to make birthday cards.

PS - This is how much you can read when you spend 12 hours a day in a server room hitting ENTER. Fear me.

V03GTLIN

Post by V03GTLIN » Fri July 2nd, 2010, 3:28 pm

Diana wrote: Fangoria
10 yr subscriber right here. Might need to re-up. My teenage room's walls looked like a meat locker thanks to 'goria.

Diana

Post by Diana » Fri July 2nd, 2010, 4:00 pm

V03GTLIN wrote:
10 yr subscriber right here. Might need to re-up. My teenage room's walls looked like a meat locker thanks to 'goria.
My tattoo guy and I swap stories about hiding the covers -- he from his 4-year-old daughter, me from my husband. Sample argument: "God, how can you read that shit!" "Sorry, dear. Let me flip it over. Oops, that's worse somehow -- let me just put it in my purse."

Metalfreak

Post by Metalfreak » Fri July 2nd, 2010, 5:29 pm

Diana wrote:
V03GTLIN wrote:
My tattoo guy and I swap stories about hiding the covers -- he from his 4-year-old daughter, me from my husband. Sample argument: "God, how can you read that shit!" "Sorry, dear. Let me flip it over. Oops, that's worse somehow -- let me just put it in my purse."
:lol: HAHAHAHA!

right now I'm reading Choosing Death. Some of the shit I've read in there cracks me up! Like the description of John Tardy's vocals when they first started out...something along the lines of "there were no lyrics, it was just some guy puking into a mic" :lol:
They had you do a drug test and the forgot to test for drugs???

Knucklehead

Post by Knucklehead » Fri July 2nd, 2010, 7:30 pm

I'm reading those Stieg Larsson novels. I feel dirty.
Diana wrote:I have never read "Get in the Van," so I have just added it to the Amazon Wish List. We should all read it and then have a Book Club Kegger so you fuckers can trash my house. Sound good?
Yes, yes it does!

DeathfareDevil

Post by DeathfareDevil » Fri July 2nd, 2010, 7:49 pm

The Conspiracy Against the Human Race by Thomas Ligotti. Having been ordered in February, it just appeared in my mailbox yesterday. Oh how I love smalltime publishing.

Ligotti, I can safely say, is the greatest weird fiction writer of all time. Similar to Lovecraft and Poe, hinting at Kafka, Borges, and Nabokov, but somehow utterly unique, he's probably my favorite writer -- even if reading him can be somewhat ... taxing. If you like bleakness with a capital B, and if you don't mind being influenced by his nihilism and dread, seek him out. His works aren't always easy to find, but they're out there. Actually a couple of his collections have turned up at Borders and Barnes & Noble over the years.

Conspiracy... is his philosophical treatise. It's like a combination of a more intelligible Schopenhauer and ... the rantings of the guy ready to hurl himself from the Golden Gate Bridge. "Depressing" doesn't really do justice to the lightless, airless universe Ligotti perceives and describes. The central idea is that consciousness is the nightmare of organic existence itself, and we're all mannikins nodding along to our illusions because we don't know any better and cannot conceive of an alternative. Cheery stuff.

The irony is that I always find myself saying, "Ligotti is an amazing writer, but you probably shouldn't read him." His material tends to aggravate the more counterproductive elements of your psyche.

Also I'm reading Secrets by Daniel Ellsberg. Pentagon Papers dude.

And a collection called The Essential Writings of Christian Mysticism. Despite my atheism, I enjoy reading a more personal and transcendental take on this most pervasive of religions. (Here in the States, anyway.)

Diana

Post by Diana » Sat July 3rd, 2010, 5:26 am

DeathfareDevil wrote:we're all mannikins nodding along to our illusions because we don't know any better and cannot conceive of an alternative.
That sounds about right.

WREKage-Paul
WREKage Staff

Post by WREKage-Paul » Sat July 3rd, 2010, 1:01 pm

Holy shit, Fangoria is still publishing? I thought most of those mags (like Starlog, from the same publisher) were looong gone.

I think a friend of mine is about to start writing for Rue Morgue. \m/

Just finished: David Weber, Mission of Honor. I'll agree with Anne McCaffrey on these books: "Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant!"

Just started, S.M. Stirling, Dies the Fire. Might be an uphill slog, though, since the author puts political crap into it. We'll see.

Complete queue: http://www.paulcashman.com/curr-boo.html

Metalfreak

Post by Metalfreak » Sat July 3rd, 2010, 1:52 pm

Of all the people, my dad actually wrote a book (it comes out in August). I'm going to start reading it when I'm done with Choosing Death. My dad's book is called Expect No Help: The Life and Times of Jumpin' Jack Flash. It's about his crazy ass life with alot of political rants intertwined in it. If you like reading about someone's acid trips, car/ motorcycle accidents, mishaps with the law, and their views on what America has become, then you'll enjoy it. Only big complaint I have about it is the paragraphs are too freakin long!

I like Warhammer 40,000 novels too...I've read tons of them already! There's some more of the Horus Heresy series coming out soon that I plan on reading.

Ofcourse, I'm always reading my textbooks too. I hate those lol
They had you do a drug test and the forgot to test for drugs???

Azrael

Post by Azrael » Sat July 3rd, 2010, 2:55 pm

Forgotten Realms: The Dark Elf Trilogy. Book Three, Sojourn. Drizzt Do'Urden books are a must.

Diana

Post by Diana » Sat July 3rd, 2010, 3:51 pm

WREKage-Paul wrote:Holy shit, Fangoria is still publishing? I thought most of those mags (like Starlog, from the same publisher) were looong gone.

I think a friend of mine is about to start writing for Rue Morgue. \m/
Starlog is definitely gone, but Fangoria will continue publishing until they finally discover that one film school drop-out that Redefines The Genre. I swear if they say that bullshit one more time I'm burning their offices down. What's your friend going to be doing for RM?
Metalfreak wrote:If you like reading about someone's acid trips, car/ motorcycle accidents, mishaps with the law, and their views on what America has become, then you'll enjoy it.
Uhm - yes, yes & yes. Link to this please when it's available. :D

OH! My sister wrote a book! I totally forgot about that. It's hoooooooorrrrriiiibbbbllleee. It's a Christian children's book with the worst illustrations ever. HAHAHAHAHA!!!! I get my free copy when she comes to visit in a couple of weeks. Man, I hope I can keep a solid poker face. Hint: I can't.

DeathfareDevil

Post by DeathfareDevil » Sat July 3rd, 2010, 5:13 pm

Metalfreak wrote:Of all the people, my dad actually wrote a book.
Diana wrote: OH! My sister wrote a book! I totally forgot about that. It's hoooooooorrrrriiiibbbbllleee. It's a Christian children's book with the worst illustrations ever. HAHAHAHAHA!!!! I get my free copy when she comes to visit in a couple of weeks. Man, I hope I can keep a solid poker face. Hint: I can't.
Links to both of these, actually.

badcarburetor

Post by badcarburetor » Sat July 3rd, 2010, 8:14 pm

Diana wrote:I have never read "Get in the Van," so I have just added it to the Amazon Wish List. We should all read it and then have a Book Club Kegger so you fuckers can trash my house. Sound good?
No. I will only participate if I can do it in character: black coffee, Dolphin shorts and an unwavering stare at a very specific spot on your wall. I will speak to none of you because you are all worthless and weak. I may do some crunches and one-handed push-ups.

The best part of Get in the Van is that in April of '86 Black Flag actually opened for Venom in Trenton, NJ. I'd hock my soul (if anyone was buying) to have seen that set. It was the day after Venom didn't play their ATL date. I've heard various stories on why that didn't happen. Anyone know the real deal on that?