Advice for a visit to Atlanta

open forum for any and all conversations

Moderators: Brian, Metalfreak, MS_39455, AtlantaMetal Staff

ColdSteel

Advice for a visit to Atlanta

Post by ColdSteel » Sun July 18th, 2010, 2:27 pm

Hey guys. I plan on taking a weekend trip down to Atlanta from Memphis with my girlfriend to see the Destroyer 666 show and the aquarium. I've never been down there before, so I'm looking for some advice.

What should I know about the Drunken Unicorn? How safe of a neighborhood is it in?

I want to stay in a good upscale hotel that isn't too expensive. Any recommendations?

Are there any metal shops or anything like that around?

Thanks to anyone who actually replies to this.

Cheers

BlackRoija
WREKage Staff

Re: Advice for a visit to Atlanta

Post by BlackRoija » Sun July 18th, 2010, 2:57 pm

ColdSteel wrote: What should I know about the Drunken Unicorn? How safe of a neighborhood is it in?

Are there any metal shops or anything like that around?
1. It's a small place, very intimate and cozy, not in the worst part of Atlanta but as always in any big city, just be aware of your surroundings and don't do anything too "touristy".

2. In Little Five Points there's Criminal Records and Wax 'n' Facts, both of which usually carry some metal stuff.

badcarburetor

Post by badcarburetor » Sun July 18th, 2010, 5:02 pm

When parking at the DU, do not park in the gay bar parking next door. They are serious about that shit and will boot or tow your shit. The neighborhood is gentrified enough to make some let down their guard. It's not super dangerous, but like BR said above, don't be a tourist.

Most folks stay at the Highland Inn. It's a great location - walking distance to the DU - in a cool old building with a club in the ballroom. As far as upscale, fuck if I know. I'd go with the HI because of location. You can walk to a lot of cool shit from right there. Free parking too, i'm 99% sure.

The two record shop in L5P are about as good as we have, but also worth a five minute drive is Reactionary Records in the East Atlanta Village. L5P and EAV are our two "cool" hoods.

PM me if you need any more suggestions for restaurants, bars, etc... I'm happy to help.
Last edited by badcarburetor on Sun July 25th, 2010, 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GameFreac

Post by GameFreac » Sun July 18th, 2010, 5:35 pm

Know that the Drunken Unicorn has no sign and it's kinda hard to find the first time unless there's a lot people standing outside. It's basically across from the liquor store, which is right next to Kroger. If you cross the street from the liquor store, just walk up until you see stairs leading down to a door on your left and you're there.

I usually park at Kroger but I've heard not to park there...I've never had any problems except talking to the same bum 3 times telling me the same thing, but it's your choice I don't know where else to park.

necroodin

Post by necroodin » Sun July 18th, 2010, 5:39 pm

You can get crack and weed through a hole in the fence at the Chevron a block over if you need.

Diana

Post by Diana » Sun July 18th, 2010, 6:00 pm

badcarburetor wrote:When parking at the DU, do not park in the gay bar parking next door. They are serious about that shit and will boot or tow your shit.
^^ This. A few years ago the city discovered that booting cars is lucrative. They love out-of-staters, but they boot and tow the shit out of us too. Think hard before you park.

Some friends of mine just stayed at the Highland Inn recently and loved it. I hear tell it's decently priced and nice to stay in, in addition to being conveniently located.

Oh yeah, if you like really weird scary titty bars, check out the Clermont Lounge. :wink:

Have fun!

PS - Memphis is awesome.

sleyja

Post by sleyja » Sun July 18th, 2010, 6:39 pm

Park on the any of (residential) side streets behind the Drunken Unicorn. I recommend the Highland Inn too. It's just down the road.

Generubin

Post by Generubin » Mon July 19th, 2010, 2:44 pm

necroodin wrote:You can get crack and weed through a hole in the fence at the Chevron a block over if you need.

hahahaha nice

I just generally avoid most homeless people.

ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel » Tue July 20th, 2010, 6:20 pm

Thanks for all the advice, even on the weed and tits, haha.

Seems like parking is a big problem. Thanks for the heads up, I'll be cautious.

I just read some good and bad things about the Highland Inn. I'm not completely sold yet, but we just might stay there.

I really can't wait til this little vacation. If any of you guys are there, I'll be an Asian dude with long black hair.

ScreamBloodyGore

Post by ScreamBloodyGore » Tue July 20th, 2010, 6:32 pm

Dan?

TheKshatriya

Post by TheKshatriya » Tue July 20th, 2010, 7:11 pm

Parking isnt a problem. Just park at Kroger if you can get a spot in the DU parking lot.

slut rag

Post by slut rag » Tue July 20th, 2010, 11:15 pm

dude, atlanta is turrible. i get robbed everytime i go there.

got it sucks ass.

WuDi, w/o competition

Post by WuDi, w/o competition » Tue July 20th, 2010, 11:20 pm

You're just a walkin' target, Nancy. You stink of weakness and fear and shame.

slut rag

Post by slut rag » Tue July 20th, 2010, 11:37 pm

i also stink of feces and urine. suck it

V03GTLIN

Post by V03GTLIN » Wed July 21st, 2010, 6:54 am

Grab a bottle of bumwine at Greens and start the shitty.
doubledogpaleale wrote:fuck you and your mall shirts.