For those of you who have a last.fm...

open forum for any and all conversations

Moderators: Brian, Metalfreak, MS_39455, AtlantaMetal Staff

theRothstanator

For those of you who have a last.fm...

Post by theRothstanator » Tue February 8th, 2011, 2:48 am

You should join the group GA Metal Bands. I know you guys love drama. Brian had to serve someone in the shoutbox recently.

http://www.last.fm/group/Georgia+Metal+Bands
"Other than shame and guilt I am fine." - Melkor

slut rag

Post by slut rag » Tue February 8th, 2011, 12:19 pm

i shall join this group.

badcarburetor

Post by badcarburetor » Tue February 8th, 2011, 12:41 pm

Joined. Wish I could get my iTunes and iPod scrobbling to work again. Shit is a mystery to me how it's set up.
"God created the devil? At least he did *something* cool." Homer J. Simpson

Moloc

Post by Moloc » Tue February 8th, 2011, 1:36 pm

What's better about last.fm than Pandoroa.com? I love Pandora, but it's real simple--no groups or anything, just stations.

nocommands

Post by nocommands » Tue February 8th, 2011, 3:04 pm

rightfully so, that guy liked norma jean and other assorted scene kid garbage.

badcarburetor

Post by badcarburetor » Tue February 8th, 2011, 3:23 pm

Moloc wrote:What's better about last.fm than Pandoroa.com? I love Pandora, but it's real simple--no groups or anything, just stations.
The two really aren't comparable in my book, but I haven't found much use for Last.fm's radio so maybe I'm overlooking something important. I find that the "radio" functions on Last.fm leave a lot be desired when compared to Pandora. Last.fm does offer a lot of info, pictures, suggestions and all kinds of other options. The scrobbling was the coolest function, but, for me, it's moody as all hell. It'll work for a while and then inexplicably stop and kick back in at some later time for no explicable reason.

theRothstanator

Post by theRothstanator » Tue February 8th, 2011, 4:04 pm

Moloc wrote:What's better about last.fm than Pandoroa.com? I love Pandora, but it's real simple--no groups or anything, just stations.
I agree with Badcarburetor, scrobbling is the coolest thing about last.fm. Basically, you download a program and then it keeps track of what you listen to. Eventually you will get suggestions of what else you should listen to. I think it's based on some algorithm where if you listen to Band A it will look at everyone who listens to Band A and will find other bands these people have in common and then that is what is recommended to you. And it also tells you about upcoming shows. And you can stream stations through your xbox. I have found some really cool bands through last.fm. I'm in love with it.

aaron

Post by aaron » Tue February 8th, 2011, 4:36 pm

Joined.

And yeah, like everyone else is saying, I use last.fm more for music discovery in the sense of finding related artists. It can recommend me music based on what it knows I listen to from scrobbling... then you can visit artist pages on last.fm, etc and either download or use something like grooveshark to listen. It's not music discovery in the sense of pandora (which is too small-scope for me because correct me if I'm wrong but you can only enter one band/song/etc and it plays related songs) that streams the music for you.

And yeah last.fm is also like a video game... your number of plays is your points ;) It's oddly addicting.

Also, that shoutbox is so funny, good work Brian.

badcarburetor

Post by badcarburetor » Tue February 8th, 2011, 6:32 pm

aaron wrote:Joined.

And yeah, like everyone else is saying, I use last.fm more for music discovery in the sense of finding related artists. It can recommend me music based on what it knows I listen to from scrobbling... then you can visit artist pages on last.fm, etc and either download or use something like grooveshark to listen. It's not music discovery in the sense of pandora (which is too small-scope for me because correct me if I'm wrong but you can only enter one band/song/etc and it plays related songs) that streams the music for you.[/bold]

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but Pandora radio is pretty easily configurable. What you do is, "create a new station" and add artists to it. You can add as many as you want. When it plays you something you don't like, you just rate it thumbs down and then it will never play that artist again on that station. For instance, I love The Clash, but I don't want them showing up on my Northern Soul channel or my Trve Black Metal channel. They belong only on the Punk station I created. So, if for some crazy reason they showed up on my TBM station I'd just rate them thumbs down and then they'd never show up on the channel again, but the Punk channel would be unaffected. Make sense?

I should probably spend more time with Last.fm radio, but the sound level variations bum me out. When I'm sitting in a cube at work I don't need "HAIL FATHER SATAN 666" blaring out at twice the volume of the last track played.

And god damn, the scrobbling being fucked up pisses me off! That shit was crazy addicting.

theRothstanator

Post by theRothstanator » Tue February 8th, 2011, 6:46 pm

badcarburetor wrote:And god damn, the scrobbling being fucked up pisses me off! That shit was crazy addicting.
Yeah, sometimes you have to bring up the application and click under the account tab and reclick the check mark that is by your username. That will refresh everything and kick the scrobbling back in. Sometimes things get fucked up if your connection is weird or if you update the software.

GameFreac

Post by GameFreac » Tue February 8th, 2011, 9:16 pm

I love last.fm. It's basically like I_LOVE_ZUCKERPENIS for music. You have friends, comments, bio, and all that stuff and you can find new bands all the time. I love how it shows you how similar an artist is to one particular band.

I had one awhile ago then stopped using it, but now I have to make sure everything scrobbles. I'm addicted.

aaron

Post by aaron » Tue February 8th, 2011, 10:39 pm

badcarburetor wrote:
aaron wrote:Joined.

And yeah, like everyone else is saying, I use last.fm more for music discovery in the sense of finding related artists. It can recommend me music based on what it knows I listen to from scrobbling... then you can visit artist pages on last.fm, etc and either download or use something like grooveshark to listen. It's not music discovery in the sense of pandora (which is too small-scope for me because correct me if I'm wrong but you can only enter one band/song/etc and it plays related songs) that streams the music for you.[/bold]

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but Pandora radio is pretty easily configurable. What you do is, "create a new station" and add artists to it. You can add as many as you want. When it plays you something you don't like, you just rate it thumbs down and then it will never play that artist again on that station. For instance, I love The Clash, but I don't want them showing up on my Northern Soul channel or my Trve Black Metal channel. They belong only on the Punk station I created. So, if for some crazy reason they showed up on my TBM station I'd just rate them thumbs down and then they'd never show up on the channel again, but the Punk channel would be unaffected. Make sense?

I should probably spend more time with Last.fm radio, but the sound level variations bum me out. When I'm sitting in a cube at work I don't need "HAIL FATHER SATAN 666" blaring out at twice the volume of the last track played.

And god damn, the scrobbling being fucked up pisses me off! That shit was crazy addicting.

I haven't used pandora in years, I remember it being that you have to create separate stations for each thing (artist, song, etc) then of course you can configure with like/dislikes. Sounds much better but I still prefer last.fm for the social + tracking aspects.

Metalfreak

Post by Metalfreak » Thu February 10th, 2011, 12:14 pm

I've never used last.fm

I should check it out...

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Thu February 10th, 2011, 12:31 pm

Metalfreak wrote:I've never used last.fm

I should check it out...
<a href="http://spewtilator.bandcamp.com">SPEWTILATOR</a> - Badass motherfuckin' street cops with nothing to lose who don't play by the rules and are out for blood.
Tricalibur wrote:I am looking for Skullcrusher and Dynamo.

Generubin

Post by Generubin » Fri February 11th, 2011, 2:07 am

damn right you should, I use it to find out about new bands and genres that I"m not too familiar with so it lacks "metalltude"
BlackRoija wrote:Cut your hair and worship Jesus