Foooood along Buford Highway & the Atl

open forum for any and all conversations

Moderators: Brian, Metalfreak, MS_39455, AtlantaMetal Staff

WREKage-Paul
WREKage Staff

Post by WREKage-Paul » Wed March 2nd, 2011, 2:56 am

Gotta agree with most of the posts about the Buford Hwy area. It's called "International Village" for a reason. :) (And yep, there's signage on I-85 pointing to it.) It is really convenient to downtown and also to I-285, so zipping over to Cobb Co. or down towards Decatur is pretty easy.

I work right near Buford Hwy and PDK and used to live not far away, over on the I-85 Access Rd. I -did- move out of the area due to crime, but I'm sure the whole area isn't like that.

Most of the apartment complexes in the Buford Hwy corridor are predominantly Latino nowadays; the businesses are a mix of Latino and Asian.
Community host for WREKage
www.wrekage.org
Friday night, midnight 'til we get tired, 91.1 FM

Holiday Rambler

Post by Holiday Rambler » Wed March 2nd, 2011, 9:19 am

Shit, there's TWO restaurants in PDK? I had no idea...I see that they have veggie burgers so I will certainly have to check that place out.

I don't know of any specific dog parks in the area, but I'm willing to bet there are a few. We have a little dog and take her to Blackburn Park (just across Peachtree on Ashford Dunwood) which has a nice trail and a good amount of space for general walkin'/exercise. A bunch of sports fields, so go when there aren't games happening.

badcarburetor

Post by badcarburetor » Wed March 2nd, 2011, 12:48 pm

Sunday Metal Champagne Brunch at the 57th?

That brunch rules. It's about $25 for all you can eat of quality buffet grub and unlimited champagne. Done it many time and it's always a blast that ends up with the rest of the day on the couch with a bowl.
"God created the devil? At least he did *something* cool." Homer J. Simpson

stewvee

Post by stewvee » Wed March 2nd, 2011, 4:48 pm

WTF are you talking about? Is this for real? All u can eat/drink for $25?
Brian wrote:dance, monkey, dance!!
http://chipsandbeermag.tumblr.com/

Brian
WREKage Staff

Post by Brian » Wed March 2nd, 2011, 4:54 pm

badcarburetor wrote:Sunday Metal Champagne Brunch at the 57th?

That brunch rules. It's about $25 for all you can eat of quality buffet grub and unlimited champagne. Done it many time and it's always a blast that ends up with the rest of the day on the couch with a bowl.
that sounds GREAT!!

Holiday Rambler

Post by Holiday Rambler » Wed March 2nd, 2011, 4:55 pm

That's a great place to get hammered. The outside patio is great. Never had the brunch.

Knucklehead

Post by Knucklehead » Wed March 2nd, 2011, 5:39 pm

Holiday Rambler wrote:Shit, there's TWO restaurants in PDK? I had no idea...I see that they have veggie burgers so I will certainly have to check that place out.
The 57th Fighter Group is just down Clairmont from the entrance to PDK. It isn't actually on airport property. FWIW.

badcarburetor

Post by badcarburetor » Wed March 2nd, 2011, 5:57 pm

Y'all have never been to that??? Google it. It's heaven.

Holiday Rambler

Post by Holiday Rambler » Wed March 2nd, 2011, 9:20 pm

We should have "Metal Board Brunch" and drain their entire champagne supply, then demand they play Slayer CDs out on that there dancefloor area.

I live straight out of the parking lot, down Tobey Rd, in that neighborhood. I don't wanna condone DUI behavior or nothing, but that place is BUILT as a DUI-free route from my crib.

badcarburetor

Post by badcarburetor » Wed March 2nd, 2011, 10:54 pm

Knucklehead wrote:
Holiday Rambler wrote:Shit, there's TWO restaurants in PDK? I had no idea...I see that they have veggie burgers so I will certainly have to check that place out.
The 57th Fighter Group is just down Clairmont from the entrance to PDK. It isn't actually on airport property. FWIW.
It backs up directly to the runway and the biplanes park on the 57th's property and take off right from it.

It's about the happiest place on earth on Sunday mornings.

http://www.the57threstaurant.com/menus/Brunch.pdf

Metalfreak

Post by Metalfreak » Thu March 3rd, 2011, 10:11 pm

Holiday Rambler wrote:That's a great place to get hammered. The outside patio is great. Never had the brunch.
lol yea it is! I was there with some friends for trivia one night and one if my friends got so hammered that he pissed himself while sitting at the table :lol: hahahaha it was so fuckin funny!

And yes, the brunch is awesome!

@Paul- an apt complex along the access rd? Yeah, the crime in those is pretty high. Gene, don't move into an apt complex on the access rd. Hell, I lived in one of the nicer ones and we had a shooting in our parking deck on my floor...while we were eating dinner. We heard cars sqealing and people screaming, next thing we knew there were cops everywhere and the news showed up.

WREKage-Paul
WREKage Staff

Post by WREKage-Paul » Fri March 4th, 2011, 5:36 pm

Brian wrote:
badcarburetor wrote:Sunday Metal Champagne Brunch at the 57th?

that sounds GREAT!!
Nifty restaurant, too, with "bombed out" decor and it's right next to the taxiway for PDK's long runway. They've had some problems before -- I know they closed up for a while, and there was a time when people were saying the kitchen had reallly gone downhill -- but they reopened and it looks like they're doing well again.

Do they still have the PDK tower radio feed at Downwind? At one time you could listen to the approach and departure traffic while sitting on the deck and watching the field.
www.wrekage.org

WREKage-Paul
WREKage Staff

Post by WREKage-Paul » Fri March 4th, 2011, 5:47 pm

Metalfreak wrote:@Paul- an apt complex along the access rd? Yeah, the crime in those is pretty high. Gene, don't move into an apt complex on the access rd. Hell, I lived in one of the nicer ones and we had a shooting in our parking deck on my floor...while we were eating dinner. We heard cars sqealing and people screaming, next thing we knew there were cops everywhere and the news showed up.
Yeah, when the news shows up, it's usually a Bad sign.

I lived in The Cliffs apartments, which were bulldozed and replaced with a new apartment complex within a year after we bailed. For years The Cliffs were pretty decent. During the Baltic Troubles the complex was used as a 'refugee-friendly' relocation spot for Eastern European families fleeing the war, and for a time it was really neet: you could hear 6 different languages being spoken at the pool. Pretty cool people, too.
Later, many of the families moved out (or back to Europe), the clientele went downhill, and the crime went up.

What apartments were you in, Amanda?

I swear, I lived off that access road for so long -- about a decade in the old duplex on Peachwood Cir and another decade at The Cliffs -- that I could have driven home on the access road blindfolded. You get used to that "access road culture," which means you always have to go one-way in a direction you don't want to go, at least for a half-mile or so. :twisted:
www.wrekage.org

Metalfreak

Post by Metalfreak » Sat March 5th, 2011, 1:03 pm

that is pretty neat about the refugees.

I lived in the AMLI apartments on the corner of the access rd and Shallowford. There was a really ghetto ass apt complex that was bulldozed almost 10 years ago and it was replaced with AMLI. I remember sneaking into the pool when I was in middle school (my godfather and a roommate of his lived in a house across the street then) and me and my friends would be the ONLY whities in that pool :lol: we stuck out like a sore thumb and the people who worked there would kick us out hahaha

and to answer your question about The Downwind, yes you can still hear the tower traffic outside. It's pretty cool.

Generubin

Post by Generubin » Sat March 5th, 2011, 1:45 pm

I only know the English language. Would I be royally fucked if I tried to live around Buford Hwy?
BlackRoija wrote:Cut your hair and worship Jesus