HALL OF KINGS!!!

open forum for any and all conversations

Moderators: Brian, Metalfreak, MS_39455, AtlantaMetal Staff

stewvee

Post by stewvee » Thu March 31st, 2011, 7:32 pm

Yeah, mang. It was killer. And they used to take my shitty fake so I got to drink zee negro modelo.
Brian wrote:dance, monkey, dance!!
http://chipsandbeermag.tumblr.com/

Knucklehead

Post by Knucklehead » Thu March 31st, 2011, 8:48 pm

Shit that scared me back in the day:
  • Show No Mercy
    Welcome to Hell, especially "In League With Satan"
    What we now know as "Human" on Morbid Tales
I'm sure there are others, but that is what springs immediately to mind.

Bathory wasn't really known in my circle of friends. I don't recall even being aware of Bathory until '87 or '88. I remember walking into the only metal shop within a 100-mile radius and seeing Under the Sign of the Black Mark and Pure Fucking Armageddon, in vinyl, sitting on the same display. I'm guessing that shit would have scared me then, too.

Of course, it was a weird time, with the PMRC and the stupid backwards masking business and whatnot. It was like the last gasp of the '50's, in some ways, because it was a fairly conservative time. Reagan was President. Jerry Falwell as just getting his Moral Majority up and running, etc. In that context and with the naivete of being an early teen, the darker side of metal was honestly menacing. Don't you guys think?

Which is all pretty funny. Welcome to Hell is a great album, but, with today's distance, there's obviously a whole lot of cheese there, too.

After all these years, I do wish I would have grabbed that copy of PFA.

stewvee

Post by stewvee » Tue August 23rd, 2011, 4:24 pm

BVMP.

Yeah, Metallica/Queensryche @ OMNI. Followed that summer with THE CULT.

Knucklehead

Post by Knucklehead » Thu February 16th, 2012, 9:42 am

So, Stewart mentioned a video that I had never even heard of by Maiden, Live at the Rainbow.

Back in '83 and '84, I was a total freak about Maiden. That was just about all I was listening to, although that began to change drastically, probably towards the summer of '84, when Ride the Lightning was released.

I vividly remember finding Maiden's Video Pieces at the local library on VHS, because it had the videos for TNOTB, RTH, The Trooper, and Flight of Icarus. I rented that shit a lot. Somewhere along the way, I also picked up a biography of Maiden and probably read that two or three times.

But if I had known back then that this was available? My 13-old self would have gone absolutely fuckin' nuts. That would have been pure fucking bliss.

So, fuck the '80's because everything was so hard to find and it was so easy to miss out on jaw-dropping stuff, merely because your circle of friends hadn't stumbled across something. And fuck the '80's, too, because I haven't lived with this document for the past 25 years.

And, fuck the present, because everything is so easy to get.

stewvee

Post by stewvee » Thu February 16th, 2012, 11:44 am

Saw Live @ the Rainbow out of the blue on MTV one night and taped over my copy of Creature from the Black Lagoon to get it. Watched it until the tape fell apart, literally. I think it was over 7th grade christmas break.

There is no "out of the blue" now. It's all there, at your fingertips.

sleyja

Post by sleyja » Thu February 16th, 2012, 2:20 pm

stewvee wrote:
Thats he truth. Did you guys see "Let There Be Rock" on the big screen when it was released back in the day? It made the midnight movie run for a few years after that before that all disappeared as well. Everything is straight to DVD now.

Moloc

Post by Moloc » Thu February 16th, 2012, 3:13 pm

I remember listening to Massive Metal for the Masses on WOXY 97.7 fm on Sunday nights at 8 back in the mid 80's while pretending to do my homework. That was the only place to hear any metal on the radio. Now there are dozens of metal stations online available 24/7. I don't think that's a bad thing.

Of course you have to wade through a lot of shit to find the good stuff, but at least now, once you've found the right station/feed, you don't have to wait to hear something good.

They still played a lot of shit on Massive Metal for the Masses (Bon Jovi, Def Leppard, etc.) and I had to wait to hear any Slayer or even Metallica, but that was, all in all, a great show. They used to play entire albums on that show. They even played all of Hell Awaits once.

But having it all at your fingertips means you've got more choice and the good stuff can be sifted out of all the bullshit much faster than the old days of tape trading. The only thing is is that metal kids today don't know how good they got it. If you wanted to copy an album from a friend, in our day, you had to lift the needle on the record and press play/rec on the tape machine. There was no Napster or torrents or anything like that.

stewvee

Post by stewvee » Thu February 16th, 2012, 3:37 pm

sleyja wrote:
stewvee wrote:
Thats he truth. Did you guys see "Let There Be Rock" on the big screen when it was released back in the day? It made the midnight movie run for a few years after that before that all disappeared as well. Everything is straight to DVD now.
Hell yeah. Excelsior Mill (AKA Masquerade) beer n movie. Thank you fake ID.

Knucklehead

Post by Knucklehead » Thu February 16th, 2012, 4:29 pm

Moloc wrote:The only thing is is that metal kids today don't know how good they got it.
(*raises cane in agreement*)

badcarburetor

Post by badcarburetor » Fri February 17th, 2012, 12:11 pm

I'm glad that I had to make effort when I was a kid to find the best shit. That made it really special. When you got a new record, even if it wasn't the best thing ever, it was one more connection to that hidden world. Now I'm glad that shit is easy to get because I'm old and busy.

So, where is this Maiden Live at the Rainbow right at my fingertips? I suck at torrents and don't see a copy on Amazon.

I saw Let There Be Rock at the midnights and at The Fox. I wish they'd run flicks like that on Sundays at the Fox again. Good times. When my folks got their first VHS player at Christmas 1984, the first two VHS taps I bought were LTBR and Times Square on VHS. I think both were around $60 at the time. Oof. Then it was all about taping Night Flight on USA and Metal Works on Channel 69.
"God created the devil? At least he did *something* cool." Homer J. Simpson

stewvee

Post by stewvee » Fri February 17th, 2012, 12:26 pm

badcarburetor wrote:Metal Works on Channel 69.
YES!

sleyja

Post by sleyja » Fri February 17th, 2012, 1:07 pm

badcarburetor wrote:I'm glad that I had to make effort when I was a kid to find the best shit. That made it really special. When you got a new record, even if it wasn't the best thing ever, it was one more connection to that hidden world. Now I'm glad that shit is easy to get because I'm old and busy.
It did make it special. I remember riding my bicycle to the other side of town just to meet Riot at the Sound Wherehouse record store to get my record signed. Same with Priest, Budgie, Blackfoot, Scorps ect.

Calling my friends on the phone and telling to come over because my import of the first Iron Maiden record had just come in and it was blowing my mind.

There was a lot of "you buy that one and I'll buy this one" and then we would end up trading records or making taped copies for each other. I think I had it easier than most though. San Antonio had great radio stations and records stores back then.

and you are right - Now I'm glad that shit is easy to get because I'm old and busy.
So, where is this Maiden Live at the Rainbow right at my fingertips? I suck at torrents and don't see a copy on Amazon.
Unless I'm thinking of a different concert - Live at the Rainbow is on "The History Of IRON MAIDEN - Part 1; The Early Days". I bought a used copy for like $12.00 on Amazon a couple of years ago. I'm sure there are still plenty available.
I saw Let There Be Rock at the midnights and at The Fox. I wish they'd run flicks like that on Sundays at the Fox again. Good times. When my folks got their first VHS player at Christmas 1984, the first two VHS taps I bought were LTBR and Times Square on VHS. I think both were around $60 at the time. Oof. Then it was all about taping Night Flight on USA and Metal Works on Channel 69.

Night Flight was so great. Not sure how late it ran in Atlanta, but it stayed on until 4 o'clock in the morning in Texas.

Channel 69 was great while it lasted.

badcarburetor

Post by badcarburetor » Fri February 17th, 2012, 1:18 pm

It seemed to go all night. From 10 or 11 until 5 or 6, but I was usually passed out before it ended. Up All Night never compared.

Channel 69 was awesome. That's all we had for a few years before getting MTV. I got turned on to so much crazy obscure shit from so many genres thanks to that channel.
"God created the devil? At least he did *something* cool." Homer J. Simpson

stewvee

Post by stewvee » Fri February 17th, 2012, 1:30 pm

Yeah it went until like dawn or something. USA network I think. Then it was Up All Night, right? Joe Bob Briggs and then Gilbert Gotfried or some shit like that.

Wasn't Movie Macabre revived for a while? Or is it still going?

sleyja

Post by sleyja » Fri February 17th, 2012, 1:42 pm

stewvee wrote:Yeah it went until like dawn or something. USA network I think. Then it was Up All Night, right? Joe Bob Briggs and then Gilbert Gotfried or some shit like that.

Wasn't Movie Macabre revived for a while? Or is it still going?
Rhonda Shear, Elvira and Tom Juarez were in that mix somewhere.