HALL OF KINGS!!!

open forum for any and all conversations

Moderators: Brian, Metalfreak, MS_39455, AtlantaMetal Staff

Diana

Post by Diana » Thu July 25th, 2013, 6:27 am

You oldsters remember the Stein Club?

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/YfqCc2Z7WGE?hl=en_US& ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/YfqCc2Z7WGE?hl=en_US&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

If memory serves, Steinhouse was pretty much the fartiest beer ever made.

One of my fondest memories is the night James Brown came in, put his boom box on our table, and performed just for us. Mr. Brown would only perform the parts of the songs he liked, then would fast forward and rewind to another bit of a song he liked, perform that, then rewind or fast forward to another part. This went on for about 45 minutes. We eventually decided we'd had enough, so we finished our beers and went home, leaving him there to perform for the rest of the bar. The last time I saw James Brown was in a McDonald's in Lenox Mall, boom box on the trash can, furiously rewinding and fast forwarding to get his best moments in before management tossed him out. Good times.

stewvee

Post by stewvee » Mon July 29th, 2013, 9:09 am

stein was a bar bar. long tables. cheap beer. fights. don't remember there being a tv in there either. long drunken walks back home.
Brian wrote:dance, monkey, dance!!
http://chipsandbeermag.tumblr.com/

MS_39455
AtlantaMetal Staff

Post by MS_39455 » Mon July 29th, 2013, 7:33 pm

Ha, ha, holy fuck. I only just now watched this video and there's goddamn Bill THE tax guy. That dude's been jockeying a bar stool at the Independent filling out form 1040's for as long as (and far before) I've been stumbling down the stairs to the Highlander (8 years today by coincidence). I always figured they constructed the building around him, but I see now that he just moved to the other end of 10th Street.

Any of you beer pros remember a bar on Peachtree St between Deering Rd and 25th Street (the name escapes me at the moment)? The very few non-squares that predate me in my neighborhood seem to have a lot fond hazy memories of that place.

stygian will

Post by stygian will » Mon July 29th, 2013, 8:30 pm

stewvee wrote:stein was a bar bar. long tables. cheap beer. fights. don't remember there being a tv in there either. long drunken walks back home.
there just are not any bars that encourage high level drunkenness anymore :cry:
"Du sollst werden, der du bist"
Nietzsche

stewvee

Post by stewvee » Wed July 31st, 2013, 8:39 am

stygian will wrote:
stewvee wrote:stein was a bar bar. long tables. cheap beer. fights. don't remember there being a tv in there either. long drunken walks back home.
there just are not any bars that encourage high level drunkenness anymore :cry:
Long gone... only other two i can remember were Dottie's and Austin Ave Buffet. Clermont was like that in the 90s, and i guess to some extent still is, depending on how motivated you are to get shitfaced. Def not pushing it on you like they did yrs ago tho.

Diana

Post by Diana » Wed July 31st, 2013, 11:59 am

Oh shit. Rest In Peace, Dottie's. That junk had a dirt floor.

sleyja

Post by sleyja » Wed July 31st, 2013, 1:10 pm

and the White Dot on Ponce.

badcarburetor

Post by badcarburetor » Wed July 31st, 2013, 2:36 pm

Margaritaville - they would serve me pitchers for a full table of way underage kids thanks to my fake ID ordered from the back pages of Creem.
"God created the devil? At least he did *something* cool." Homer J. Simpson

theRothstanator

Post by theRothstanator » Wed July 31st, 2013, 3:52 pm

Not old enough but I bring it up whenever there's a glimmer of a chance:

~@~R.I.P. Blue Frog Cantina~@~
"Other than shame and guilt I am fine." - Melkor

sleyja

Post by sleyja » Wed July 31st, 2013, 4:12 pm

badcarburetor wrote:Margaritaville - they would serve me pitchers for a full table of way underage kids thanks to my fake ID ordered from the back pages of Creem.
Ha. I was just talking about that place yesterday.

stewvee

Post by stewvee » Thu August 1st, 2013, 1:02 pm

sleyja wrote:and the White Dot on Ponce.
saw bbq killers here underage

badcarburetor

Post by badcarburetor » Fri August 2nd, 2013, 9:15 am

Little Blue Reggae Shack on Northside.

stygian will

Post by stygian will » Fri August 2nd, 2013, 9:11 pm

badcarburetor wrote:Little Blue Reggae Shack on Northside.
ahhhh sheeetttt......that place rocked...they only had crap beer in a cooler but did not care if you brought in your own and could care less what you were doing in the parking lot even if it involved hitting crackheads over the head w/ 40ozs when they broke into your car :wink:
"Du sollst werden, der du bist"
Nietzsche

badcarburetor

Post by badcarburetor » Mon August 5th, 2013, 11:27 am

stygian will wrote:
badcarburetor wrote:Little Blue Reggae Shack on Northside.
ahhhh sheeetttt......that place rocked...they only had crap beer in a cooler but did not care if you brought in your own and could care less what you were doing in the parking lot even if it involved hitting crackheads over the head w/ 40ozs when they broke into your car :wink:
That perfectly describes every evening I spent there. I miss all those anarchic places on the westside.

Knucklehead

Post by Knucklehead » Mon May 4th, 2015, 6:35 pm

Not sure where to put this.

Back in the day, I think I dubbed a copy of Killing Is My Business ... And Business Is Good from a friend, and then I later got the CD, although I was mostly buying records. It was probably a gift from a friend.

Today in the mail, I received an old Combat press of KIMB, because that remaster sucks ass.

The seller's description wasn't exactly accurate: there is some ring wear and, much more importantly, the sleeve has some pretty major seam splits. All that kind of pissed me off.

Until I realized that the inside of the record stinks of decades old weed. I like to think some teen aged hesher was sorting out the stems on the cover back in '85 and then smoking down heartily.

I've pretty much decided that I'm going to keep the record.