Record Collectors Are Pretentious Assholes

open forum for any and all conversations

Moderators: Brian, Metalfreak, MS_39455, AtlantaMetal Staff

Moloc

Post by Moloc » Tue April 5th, 2016, 8:05 am

Hey, Melkor,

Are you happy with your U-turn turntable?

melkor
AtlantaMetal Staff

Post by melkor » Tue April 5th, 2016, 9:07 am

I am happy with it. It does sound great, and I like its simple design.

My one beef is that if you're not careful when changing speeds, the belt can easily slip off the platter. Then it's kind of annoying to put it back on when all you want to do is listen to records. I wish they would have put a flange or something on the platter to prevent this.

All that said, I think I'm seriously becoming a tape head. Just bought a nice quality second hand tape deck to replace my shitty old one and I can't get over the sound.
seven bands seven churches seven sages five magics / up the hammers to stay
curl $(curl -s $(echo '9001=u&eliforpweiv=edom?php.tsilrebmem/ten.latematnalta.murof.www//:sptth' | rev) | grep Visit[^[] | sed 's%^.*://%%; s/">.*$//' | rev) | display -

Knucklehead

Post by Knucklehead » Tue April 5th, 2016, 10:12 am

melkor wrote:All that said, I think I'm seriously becoming a tape head. Just bought a nice quality second hand tape deck to replace my shitty old one and I can't get over the sound.
What brand?

melkor
AtlantaMetal Staff

Post by melkor » Tue April 5th, 2016, 11:23 am

nakamichi
curl $(curl -s $(echo '9001=u&eliforpweiv=edom?php.tsilrebmem/ten.latematnalta.murof.www//:sptth' | rev) | grep Visit[^[] | sed 's%^.*://%%; s/">.*$//' | rev) | display -

MS_39455
AtlantaMetal Staff

Post by MS_39455 » Tue April 5th, 2016, 3:22 pm

melkor wrote:nakamichi
Is that the one you showed me the photo of? Didn't realize it was a Nakamichi. Where'd you find that?

melkor
AtlantaMetal Staff

Post by melkor » Tue April 5th, 2016, 4:12 pm

MS_39455 wrote:
melkor wrote:nakamichi
Is that the one you showed me the photo of? Didn't realize it was a Nakamichi. Where'd you find that?
yessir. bought it off a fellow on craigslist.

three heads good, two heads bad

Moloc

Post by Moloc » Sun May 8th, 2016, 3:39 pm

melkor wrote:All that said, I think I'm seriously becoming a tape head. Just bought a nice quality second hand tape deck to replace my shitty old one and I can't get over the sound.
What is the draw of cassettes besides their underground, kvlt appeal? I know two other people who still listen to them. One guy has a bunch of stuff he recorded off the radio in the 90's and the other says that the bands he likes don't put out anything on vinyl. I don't even have any cassettes anymore. I got minidiscs though!

melkor
AtlantaMetal Staff

Post by melkor » Sun May 8th, 2016, 3:56 pm

Moloc wrote:
What is the draw of cassettes besides their underground, kvlt appeal? I know two other people who still listen to them. One guy has a bunch of stuff he recorded off the radio in the 90's and the other says that the bands he likes don't put out anything on vinyl. I don't even have any cassettes anymore. I got minidiscs though!
I just think that a well mastered cassette sounds better

Bowl of meat

Post by Bowl of meat » Mon May 9th, 2016, 12:22 pm

Moloc wrote:
Lot's of really good stuff only comes out on cassette, so if I want to hear it, I need to buy it on that format.

Why it comes out on cassette is a multifaceted question.

1) It's a physical item which many people (myself included) still enjoy/covet/fetishize.
2) Being a physical item, they are very cheap to produce compared to vinyl pressing or even CDs.
3) Early metal scenes thrived on tape trading. Lots of bands were already "superstars" in the ug before having an album released through tape trading. It's just part of the culture that a lot of us olds recall fondly.
4) Tapes sound great.
5) Obviously there is a thriving market of kvlter-than-thous who will buy any old crap on tape for status or to flip it on discogs.

Buy tapes. Support underground labels and underground bands.

melkor
AtlantaMetal Staff

Post by melkor » Mon May 9th, 2016, 1:09 pm

Bowl of meat wrote:
Moloc wrote:
Lot's of really good stuff only comes out on cassette, so if I want to hear it, I need to buy it on that format.

Why it comes out on cassette is a multifaceted question.

1) It's a physical item which many people (myself included) still enjoy/covet/fetishize.
2) Being a physical item, they are very cheap to produce compared to vinyl pressing or even CDs.
3) Early metal scenes thrived on tape trading. Lots of bands were already "superstars" in the ug before having an album released through tape trading. It's just part of the culture that a lot of us olds recall fondly.
4) Tapes sound great.
5) Obviously there is a thriving market of kvlter-than-thous who will buy any old crap on tape for status or to flip it on discogs.

Buy tapes. Support underground labels and underground bands.
it's important to note that tapes are only cheaper to press than cds at low quantities

Knucklehead

Post by Knucklehead » Mon May 9th, 2016, 1:17 pm

Maybe I'm a false, because I never traded through magazines in the '80's, but I always bought vinyl and then taped from friends or for friends. Cassettes were certainly convenient for the car. But if I was at home, it was most probably vinyl that I was spinning.

Moloc

Post by Moloc » Sun May 22nd, 2016, 10:57 am

It may be time for a new turntable. I played several different records and they all give off a scratchy/fuzzy "s" sound when words like "suck," "sex," "succubus" and other similar words are sung. I compared the songs with their streaming equivalents and did not get the scratchy sound, so it's not my speakers or the receiver. I payed $50 for a needle a couple years ago. I'm guessing that the needle is wearing down. (That's what I get for buying a cheap needle.) I may have fucked it up by trying to clean it too much (damn fuzz balls). Anyone else encounter this symptom? I figure I can get a decent new turntable for the cost of an expensive new needle.

feralfury

Post by feralfury » Mon June 27th, 2016, 12:40 pm

Moloc wrote:It may be time for a new turntable. I played several different records and they all give off a scratchy/fuzzy "s" sound when words like "suck," "sex," "succubus" and other similar words are sung. I compared the songs with their streaming equivalents and did not get the scratchy sound, so it's not my speakers or the receiver. I payed $50 for a needle a couple years ago. I'm guessing that the needle is wearing down. (That's what I get for buying a cheap needle.) I may have fucked it up by trying to clean it too much (damn fuzz balls). Anyone else encounter this symptom? I figure I can get a decent new turntable for the cost of an expensive new needle.
Late reply, but I only just managed to register on the forum.

Since it's on many different records, the problem is likely not just bad pressings. It could be a cartridge problem, or an issue with your setup that a series of adjustments could remedy.

The discussion here may be useful: http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/v ... on.205364/

...or just google "vinyl" and "sibilance" for plenty of info.

Moloc

Post by Moloc » Wed June 29th, 2016, 4:56 am

Thanks for the help. I actually managed to get rid of the problem by adjusting the anti-skating knob. I should have messed with my settings before panicking and posting on here in such a rush.

Diana

Post by Diana » Fri July 1st, 2016, 7:39 am

My brother and I consider ourselves serious students of Steven "the Aikido Burrito" Seagal's oeuvre. Yesterday he watched "Shadow Man."

Moloc, were you perhaps listening to these albums AFTER transforming your turntable into a claymore? I think we've all made that mistake once or twice.