Record Collectors Are Pretentious Assholes

open forum for any and all conversations

Moderators: Brian, Metalfreak, MS_39455, AtlantaMetal Staff

badcarburetor

Record Collectors Are Pretentious Assholes

Post by badcarburetor » Mon May 9th, 2011, 11:24 am

I need some help from similar pretentious assholes.

Did Windir ever release anything on vinyl or were they CD only releases? I can't seem to find any vinyl relases in any of the usual spots: Amazon, GEMM, eBay, etc...

Also, anyone ever hear of a punk/early HC sounding band called The Conservatives? I heard a track recently on WREK, but can't track this shit down. It was cool, early 80s sounding shit with bratty vocals.

Thanks.

Feel free to use this thread for similar questions.
"God created the devil? At least he did *something* cool." Homer J. Simpson

Brian
WREKage Staff

Post by Brian » Mon May 9th, 2011, 11:59 am

Do you remember what day/time you heard the track from The Conservatives?

Brian
WREKage Staff

Post by Brian » Mon May 9th, 2011, 12:05 pm

From what I can find in the db, we only really have one album from the Conservatives...an early 80's comp called Hell Comes to Your House. It also has Social D, Christian Death, and a few other bands. The track you heard was either Suburban Bitch or Just Cuz/Nervous.

badcarburetor

Post by badcarburetor » Mon May 9th, 2011, 12:47 pm

Brian wrote:Do you remember what day/time you heard the track from The Conservatives?
It was on Personality Crisis, maybe 11ish Sunday before last. It was at the end of the set of songs with "just" in the title and two tracks were played by them, the second one didn't have "just" in the title.

badcarburetor

Post by badcarburetor » Mon May 9th, 2011, 12:48 pm

Brian wrote:From what I can find in the db, we only really have one album from the Conservatives...an early 80's comp called Hell Comes to Your House. It also has Social D, Christian Death, and a few other bands. The track you heard was either Suburban Bitch or Just Cuz/Nervous.
Fuck a duck! That's it. Brilliant. Thank you. I have that comp at home. Man, I need to get my turntable set up.

Thanks again, Brian!

MS_39455
AtlantaMetal Staff

Re: Record Collectors Are Pretentious Assholes

Post by MS_39455 » Mon May 9th, 2011, 1:09 pm

badcarburetor wrote:Did Windir ever release anything on vinyl or were they CD only releases? I can't seem to find any vinyl relases in any of the usual spots: Amazon, GEMM, eBay, etc...
Pretty sure every release has been on CD. Even the demos.

Generubin

Post by Generubin » Mon May 9th, 2011, 3:10 pm

I'm starting to become a pretentious asshole. Does anyone want to sell a pretentious asshole a record player somewhere down the road?
BlackRoija wrote:Cut your hair and worship Jesus

badcarburetor

Post by badcarburetor » Mon May 9th, 2011, 3:30 pm

Good man.

Look around on Amazon and you'll find a Technics, NuMark or Audio Technica that'll get your foot in the door for under $100. Over time you can always work your way up to a nice Technics 1200 Mk II as it's pretty much the standard for decent sound. From there, the sky is the limit. I know a guy in SF with a system that includes a $10K tone arm. Think about that; the tone arm alone is that much. Think about what the rest of his system is worth! Crazy. The problem with that real high end gear is that you have to fuck with it and tweak it constantly. Another guy I know has a nice English made Rega 3. The shop to change out the belt on it for playing LPs and 7"s. That's just too much to fuck with in my book. I want to listen to my vinyl, not fuck with the gear constantly.

badcarburetor

Re: Record Collectors Are Pretentious Assholes

Post by badcarburetor » Mon May 9th, 2011, 3:35 pm

MS_39455 wrote:
badcarburetor wrote:Did Windir ever release anything on vinyl or were they CD only releases? I can't seem to find any vinyl relases in any of the usual spots: Amazon, GEMM, eBay, etc...
Pretty sure every release has been on CD. Even the demos.
Bummer. But, thanks a ton for the info. I've gotten pretty obsessed with that band thanks to Pandora.

SlashAndThrash

Post by SlashAndThrash » Mon May 9th, 2011, 11:55 pm

man my record player is a refurbished one from the 60s i got off ebay. All i know is if it plays my records without sounding like inaudible shit, its good enough for me.

JägerWolf

Post by JägerWolf » Tue May 10th, 2011, 1:20 am

I manage to get a Windir CDs from Amazon and Ebay. are you saying their too expensive or something?

Knucklehead

Post by Knucklehead » Tue May 10th, 2011, 6:10 am

JägerWolf wrote:I manage to get a Windir CDs from Amazon and Ebay. are you saying their too expensive or something?
She's looking for vinyl, chief.

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Tue May 10th, 2011, 8:16 am

SlashAndThrash wrote: it plays my records without sounding like inaudible shit, its good enough for me.
this is all that matters.

my wife hooked it up for valentine's day a couple years ago and got me a nice turntable with a USB out so I can rip vinyl and cassettes to mp3.
<a href="http://spewtilator.bandcamp.com">SPEWTILATOR</a> - Badass motherfuckin' street cops with nothing to lose who don't play by the rules and are out for blood.
Tricalibur wrote:I am looking for Skullcrusher and Dynamo.

stewvee

Post by stewvee » Tue May 10th, 2011, 9:36 am

Still have the same Kenwood I got for my 14th b'day. Replaced the stylus once.
Brian wrote:dance, monkey, dance!!
http://chipsandbeermag.tumblr.com/

MS_39455
AtlantaMetal Staff

Post by MS_39455 » Wed May 11th, 2011, 10:15 pm

This short discussion has peaked my curiosity since my interest in audio gear sometimes borders on the pretentious. What kind of vinyl/general playback set-up is everyone running? Specific turntable specs, preamp/EQ/processor (if any), receiver, speakers, etc?

I've got an early 80's (don't know the exact year) direct drive automatic JVC QL-F300 turntable running into a JVC A-X404 integrated receiver from the same era (dual stereo output). Pretty sure the turntable has the factory stylus. The original owner I got them from a few years ago hardly ever played them. The receiver has a phono stage, but the turntable's a bit quiet. I'm using an old BSR EQ-3000 equalizer with the reciever to fatten up the sound. Right now it all runs to a pair of run-of-the-mill Sony bookshelf 2 way 6"/1" dome 50W speakers and another pair of Sony single 4" 25W midrange speakers. Got a JVC AM/FM tuner that matches the receiver, an early 90's Sony dual cassette deck, and Sony 5 CD changer to round it all out.

I am a complete and total amatuer, but I've neen working on a DIY turntable preamp on and off for about a year now, too. Hoping to warm the whole sound a bit and lower the signal to noise ratio between the table and amp. Got the chasis, faceplate, and sweet VU meter I built into it completely finished so far. Been having problems with running the actual preamp guts. Trying to correct a bad hum right now, but it looks great.

How's that for being a pretentious asshole?