Record Collectors Are Pretentious Assholes

open forum for any and all conversations

Moderators: Brian, Metalfreak, MS_39455, AtlantaMetal Staff

melkor
AtlantaMetal Staff

Post by melkor » Fri July 1st, 2016, 7:51 am

what would be more impressive: jurying a phono into a mine, or a sword?
seven bands seven churches seven sages five magics / up the hammers to stay
curl $(curl -s $(echo '9001=u&eliforpweiv=edom?php.tsilrebmem/ten.latematnalta.murof.www//:sptth' | rev) | grep Visit[^[] | sed 's%^.*://%%; s/">.*$//' | rev) | display -

Moloc

Post by Moloc » Wed July 13th, 2016, 6:46 am

Diana wrote:My brother and I consider ourselves serious students of Steven "the Aikido Burrito" Seagal's oeuvre. Yesterday he watched "Shadow Man."

Moloc, were you perhaps listening to these albums AFTER transforming your turntable into a claymore? I think we've all made that mistake once or twice.
It was definitely before it became a claymore, BUT I tried that and it works like a charm now!

melkor
AtlantaMetal Staff

Re: Record Collectors Are Pretentious Assholes

Post by melkor » Fri May 29th, 2020, 10:55 am

speaking of pretense, "audiofilia" is such a bs. that hifi companies sell turntables for $10k+ that have UNBALANCED OUTPUTS or argue about 0.0005% vs 0.0004% thd as if it makes a difference just fuckin makes me mad. if someone was actually an "audiofile" and not just a loser with too much money and and too much internet access they would actually learn some stuff about physics, electronics, and perception and design shit that actually matters. like using balanced transmission lines. and room treatments. guess what, idiot, all you had to do was twist two wires together to reduce emi, but instead you spent orders of magnitude more to overengineer some garbage. the whole culture is basically just the juicero squeezer.
curl $(curl -s $(echo '9001=u&eliforpweiv=edom?php.tsilrebmem/ten.latematnalta.murof.www//:sptth' | rev) | grep Visit[^[] | sed 's%^.*://%%; s/">.*$//' | rev) | display -

Thrashmania

Post by Thrashmania » Fri May 29th, 2020, 3:27 pm

Sounds like you're gonna be working for my new company that I'm going to start now! :P

melkor
AtlantaMetal Staff

Post by melkor » Fri May 29th, 2020, 5:17 pm

is it a startup whose aim is to turn a juicero press into a new consumer hifi product?

upperyellow

Post by upperyellow » Sun July 12th, 2020, 3:15 am

sign me up! lol
Who said a metal head can't be a bookie? I do it with a bookie pay per head

melkor
AtlantaMetal Staff

Post by melkor » Fri July 16th, 2021, 6:35 pm

melkor wrote:
Fri May 29th, 2020, 10:55 am
speaking of pretense, "audiofilia" is such a bs. that hifi companies sell turntables for $10k+ that have UNBALANCED OUTPUTS or argue about 0.0005% vs 0.0004% thd as if it makes a difference just fuckin makes me mad. if someone was actually an "audiofile" and not just a loser with too much money and and too much internet access they would actually learn some stuff about physics, electronics, and perception and design shit that actually matters. like using balanced transmission lines. and room treatments. guess what, idiot, all you had to do was twist two wires together to reduce emi, but instead you spent orders of magnitude more to overengineer some garbage. the whole culture is basically just the juicero squeezer.
this made me laff (again)

i bought a nagaoka mp-110 cartridge for my juicero squeezer/phonograph a few months ago and have been thoroughly enjoying it. it's a measurable (I did some test recordings with my good ADC) and significant difference over the stock AT cartridge. is the difference worth $150 or so? probably not but whatever. will I spend more money to "improve" the sound in the future? probably. and whatever. you can buy just the replacement stylus for the mp-150 and drop it in and that essentially turns the 110 into a 150. $200 for the stylus vs. $400 for the whole cartridge. but that's not until I wear the current stylus out. or whatever

anyway, the whole point of me writing this was to quip about conical styluseses (stylii?) vs elliptical. we all know the adage about elliptical being more precise but also more susceptible to surface noise. well that manifesting today. I was listening to ye olde SLUGATHOR and actually thought there was a connection in my signal chain going out, the sound was so bad. I looked all over and even made sure the cartridge leads were secure. well, turns out the stylus was just dusty. yes, I clean it every few LPs, at least. it wasn't even that much dust. but apparently it was enough to shit all over the sound.

upperyellow

Post by upperyellow » Sun September 5th, 2021, 11:00 am

melkor wrote:
Fri July 16th, 2021, 6:35 pm
yes, I clean it every few LPs, at least. it wasn't even that much dust. but apparently it was enough to shit all over the sound.
thanks for the reminder. I haven't cleaned mine since last month.

melkor
AtlantaMetal Staff

Post by melkor » Fri June 3rd, 2022, 6:22 pm

i was getting mad at my jag panzer rec for skipping until i put on a record i knew was perfect and heard it also skipping. got out my protractor and somehow the dang cartridge alignment got all completely out of whack. not sure it i bumped it or if it slowly crept over time. it's probably been about a year since I last set it.. anyway it's perfect now

say what you want about .wavs and .mp3s but at least they're maintenance free. mechanical playback FTL (cds, winyl, tapes, etc)

upperyellow

Post by upperyellow » Sat June 11th, 2022, 8:54 pm

I agree! I hate the maintenance part of analog music.

melkor
AtlantaMetal Staff

Post by melkor » Mon August 8th, 2022, 11:31 am

https://www.washingtonpost.com/music/20 ... l-scandal/

or; people are fucking chumps

tl;dr, mofi presses great sounding records because of a digital step, keeps said step a secret, audio"phile"s cream over the records thinking they're analog from tape to disc, later learn the truth, now their whole life is a lie.

they should have been listening to flacs (with a good dac) this whole time.

Knucklehead

Post by Knucklehead » Sun August 14th, 2022, 4:22 pm

I saw that story, maybe from another source.

I love how people are up in arms, because MoFi made records that sounded so good. And now they don’t?

Sure, MoFi should have made clear there was a digital step. But still. Has the sound of the record changed?

melkor
AtlantaMetal Staff

Post by melkor » Sun August 14th, 2022, 8:56 pm

it was never about the sound of the record. they just deluded themselves into thinking it was.

upperyellow

Post by upperyellow » Sat August 20th, 2022, 3:20 pm

melkor wrote:
Sun August 14th, 2022, 8:56 pm
it was never about the sound of the record. they just deluded themselves into thinking it was.
I agree with this one. What's wrong with digital recording/mastering anyway.. It makes the life of the sound engineer easier.