Metallica demo

open forum for any and all conversations

Moderators: Brian, Metalfreak, MS_39455, AtlantaMetal Staff

Knucklehead

Metallica demo

Post by Knucklehead » Tue May 17th, 2011, 4:20 pm

Why couldn't they have released the album with this kind of energy, as opposed to the sterile sounding crap that they did?

Azrael

Post by Azrael » Tue May 17th, 2011, 4:25 pm

Lars sucks...how is he famous? I can out play that guy any fucking day of the week.

Strange

Post by Strange » Tue May 17th, 2011, 4:34 pm

Judging by the quality I'm guessing this was from the St. Anger sessions?

(kidding)
Azrael wrote:Lars sucks...how is he famous? I can out play that guy any fucking day of the week.
+1 He was part of something that was once great. And he's managed to ride it out despite being a complete douche.

Can you imagine how awesome Metallica would have been with someone like Gene Hoglan (one of about a thousand possible examples) on the kit?

I do find it pretty impressive that James had the vocal arrangement worked out so well before finishing lyrics. The 1-take, no polish lead on this is pretty bad ass as well.

I miss this band.
Let the joyous celebrations of Hell begin!

Knucklehead

Post by Knucklehead » Tue May 17th, 2011, 4:44 pm

The thing I like about it is: (a) you can hear the youth in James' voice and (b) there are little flourishes that invoke KEA, which I don't remember from the studio track.
Strange wrote:I do find it pretty impressive that James had the vocal arrangement worked out so well before finishing lyrics.
I also listened to the demo for "Shortest Straw," which was much the same. The vocal lines were worked out, but not the lyrics.
Strange wrote:I miss this band.
+1. But this is now ancient history and everything that came after, to my mind, pissed away their honesty.

Metalfreak

Post by Metalfreak » Tue May 17th, 2011, 9:29 pm

This is cool! Thanks for posting it.

Gene Hogland on drums would be fucking amazing. Instead, they released a bunch of crap lol

Azrael

Post by Azrael » Wed May 18th, 2011, 3:13 am

Oh wait, Lar's family is rich, well, was before Metallica. A classic example of daddy's money bying the son fame.

Generubin

Post by Generubin » Wed May 18th, 2011, 6:28 am

Azrael wrote:Oh wait, Lar's family is rich, well, was before Metallica. A classic example of daddy's money bying the son fame.
I never knew this until today. Sorta explains why they got bigger than Overkill and Motorhead. Although I still don't see a bunch of 13 year olds rushing to by the newest Daath CD.
BlackRoija wrote:Cut your hair and worship Jesus

badcarburetor

Post by badcarburetor » Wed May 18th, 2011, 9:24 am

I'm no fan of rich kids or Lars, but in what way did daddy's money push up Metallica? I've never read anything about him paying for recordings, gear, transportation or helping with luring management. Hell, I've never read that his family was that wealthy, just sounded like semi upper middle class to me.
"God created the devil? At least he did *something* cool." Homer J. Simpson

Metalfreak

Post by Metalfreak » Wed May 18th, 2011, 10:06 am

badcarburetor wrote:I'm no fan of rich kids or Lars, but in what way did daddy's money push up Metallica? I've never read anything about him paying for recordings, gear, transportation or helping with luring management. Hell, I've never read that his family was that wealthy, just sounded like semi upper middle class to me.
hmmm that's what I thought too.

I know Lars's dad was a famous tennis player but that's about it. I think they're fame mostly came from them being awesome back in the day and them being in the right place at the right time. I could be wrong though. 8)

Knucklehead

Post by Knucklehead » Wed May 18th, 2011, 10:50 am

I think they were flat broke by the time they recorded KEA, having spent their money on Gibson V's, Marshall stacks, and vodka.

At least that's what Scott Ian and Johnny Z, say.

SadisticRitual

Post by SadisticRitual » Wed May 18th, 2011, 11:26 am

i can never get into this band no matter whether it's demo or recording. i just plain can't stand them. the only stuff i like is the material dave mustaine wrote for them in kill them all and a bit in ride the lightning. even then i think they're mediocre at best. hetfields voice is kind of annoying imo. too much twang

nocommands

Post by nocommands » Wed May 18th, 2011, 11:54 am

Azrael wrote:Oh wait, Lar's family is rich, well, was before Metallica. A classic example of daddy's money bying the son fame.
him and the dude from daath should hang out, even though i've never met anyone that liked that band

stewvee

Post by stewvee » Wed May 18th, 2011, 1:16 pm

First two records. Play them all the time. No longer with us. Live in the past. Naysayers go eat a dick. That is all.
Brian wrote:dance, monkey, dance!!
http://chipsandbeermag.tumblr.com/

JägerWolf

Post by JägerWolf » Wed May 18th, 2011, 2:09 pm

I guess because they just had to hire Bon Jovi's producer, Bob Rock, to help them make their music.

Generubin

Post by Generubin » Wed May 18th, 2011, 2:19 pm

badcarburetor wrote: Hell, I've never read that his family was that wealthy, just sounded like semi upper middle class to me.

I think it's funny when less fortunate people accuse middle class people or people that are generally wealthy of being rich. There is a difference between being someone that owns a nice home, a bmw, has a family, a good career and some snobby rich elitist that drives a Bentley and takes private jets.

Left wingers make it a crime to shine.
BlackRoija wrote:Cut your hair and worship Jesus