Dragon*Con

open forum for any and all conversations

Moderators: Brian, Metalfreak, MS_39455, AtlantaMetal Staff

Metalfreak

Post by Metalfreak » Wed September 7th, 2011, 6:00 pm

Diana wrote:
Brian wrote:This was my first year with an actual pass. Definitely picking one up for next year and gonna get a room, too. Still in pain.

I kept staring at some girl at the Metalocalypse panel thinking it was you, Diana. It wasn't.
HA! I didn't even know there was a Metalocalypse panel. Damn. Can you astral project from drunkenness?

If you want a hotel room next year, act quickly. Here's the Hilton info we sent over to my brother so he can get his own damn room next year and we won't have to step on his face in the dark:
Helpful Hilton Info wrote:Call the Hilton's 1-800 number:

1-800-445-8667

You're looking to book at this Hilton:

255 Courtland Street NE, Atlanta, Georgia, 30303

on these dates:

Fri 8/31/12 thru Mon 9/3/12
Total of 3 nights

When you call, they'll say no rooms are available, until you say you're with Dragon*Con and want their discounted group rate. The code is DCN, though I didn't have to use it.

Have a credit card ready, because you'll have to pay a deposit of one night. It came to about $270.

The total for the stay, including taxes, will be $835. You pay that $270 deposit now, and they run your card for the rest when you check out.

Don't delay too long, the hotel will fill up soon.
We booked our room last night. Some hotels don't let you book this early, and some do. The Hilton does.

WOOT!!!
$835 :shock:

I guess just have at least 6 or 7 others sharing it with you hahaha

Diana

Post by Diana » Thu September 8th, 2011, 5:32 am

It was $786.60 this year, but I guess that wasn't expensive enough so they went ahead and raised it for next year.

And it gives me a nice warm feeling knowing that all my hard-earned money is going straight up Paris's nose.

V-GER

Post by V-GER » Fri September 9th, 2011, 11:03 pm

Diana wrote:It was $786.60 this year, but I guess that wasn't expensive enough so they went ahead and raised it for next year.

And it gives me a nice warm feeling knowing that all my hard-earned money is going straight up Paris's nose.
Haha, Long time to save up though...

WREKage-Paul
WREKage Staff

Post by WREKage-Paul » Sat September 10th, 2011, 5:02 pm

A bit late to the party here but I actually was kinda busy with D*C stuff before the con. :)

As for better/more metal bands at D*C, we've tried that before and it failed, with TTD and Vainglory. I still hold out hope for the future, but any "name" metal bands would want a decent guarantee and -- with rare exceptions -- D*C does NOT pay a guarantee.

For those wondering why goth bands and steampunk bands play D*C more, it's because they "get it." They understand that the chance to promote your band in front of 45,000 people for 4 full days outweighs not getting paid a guarantee. Word has spread quickly in that particular scene, but not in the metal scene. C'est la vie.

Some of the bands that DO play D*C are hella talented, BTW. Not metal, but talented as shit. I'm the de-facto liaison for them at the con.
Community host for WREKage
www.wrekage.org
Friday night, midnight 'til we get tired, 91.1 FM

badcarburetor

Post by badcarburetor » Sun September 11th, 2011, 10:32 am

Does not paying a "guarantee" = not paying at all and the band only makes what they pull in merch sales? Since there isn't a door price to split, I don't see how a band would get paid without a guarnatee, unless it was some benevolent unspecified handout at the end.

Just curious.
"God created the devil? At least he did *something* cool." Homer J. Simpson

Strange

Post by Strange » Tue September 13th, 2011, 4:56 pm

badcarburetor wrote:Does not paying a "guarantee" = not paying at all and the band only makes what they pull in merch sales? Since there isn't a door price to split, I don't see how a band would get paid without a guarnatee, unless it was some benevolent unspecified handout at the end.

Just curious.
Pretty sure no guarantee = no pay.

I think it could still be worth it though as long as you have a cool merch booth with lots of schwag to sell.

Of course, it's easy for me to say that since I'm in a local...er, "contractually challenged" band. Bands that make their living touring might feel differently. Thus the lack of national level Metal acts on the Con roster.
Let the joyous celebrations of Hell begin!

badcarburetor

Post by badcarburetor » Tue September 13th, 2011, 7:00 pm

If a touring band got put in a hotel and got some per diems it could definitely pay off in exposure and merch sales. If you are floating all that cost on your own it would really hurt.

2012 passes on sale now for $60. Get 'em while they are less than half the final price.
"God created the devil? At least he did *something* cool." Homer J. Simpson

Strange

Post by Strange » Wed September 14th, 2011, 10:04 am

badcarburetor wrote:2012 passes on sale now for $60. Get 'em while they are less than half the final price.
Awesome! Good to know.

Diana

Post by Diana » Wed September 14th, 2011, 3:03 pm

Oh hey, guess what:

Dragon*Con Founder Kramer Arrested
(again)

SlashAndThrash

Post by SlashAndThrash » Wed September 14th, 2011, 5:31 pm

this is like kind of slanderous toward the Con, honestly. The guy doesn't do anything with it anymore and hasn't for years and now its gonna be like "kiddyfuckercon" jokes and shit
G.O.R.E.
Billy and Agnes wrote:JUST LIKE HAVING A WAAART REMOOOVED

Diana

Post by Diana » Thu September 15th, 2011, 6:01 am

SlashAndThrash wrote:this is like kind of slanderous toward the Con, honestly. The guy doesn't do anything with it anymore and hasn't for years and now its gonna be like "kiddyfuckercon" jokes and shit
Nah. We're all familiar with his exploits. But it is good that this happened AFTER the Con. Unfortunately his name will forever be tied to it.

V-GER

Post by V-GER » Fri September 16th, 2011, 12:18 am

That is so being a creep!

Metalfreak

Post by Metalfreak » Fri September 16th, 2011, 9:19 pm

wow I had no idea. That's disgusting!

egg yolkeo

Post by egg yolkeo » Sat September 17th, 2011, 4:42 pm

What nobody got any pics to show!?!

Strange

Post by Strange » Mon September 19th, 2011, 1:06 pm

egg yolkeo wrote:What nobody got any pics to show!?!
I still need to upload mine. I know I've got at least one shot of Diana, Kay and I completely faced on Sunday night.