Dragon*Con

open forum for any and all conversations

Moderators: Brian, Metalfreak, MS_39455, AtlantaMetal Staff

egg yolkeo

Post by egg yolkeo » Mon September 19th, 2011, 4:55 pm

Strange wrote:
egg yolkeo wrote:What nobody got any pics to show!?!
I still need to upload mine. I know I've got at least one shot of Diana, Kay and I completely faced on Sunday night.
haha sweet how bout some of the dorky costumes or any celebs?

Strange

Post by Strange » Tue September 20th, 2011, 9:44 am

egg yolkeo wrote:
Strange wrote:
egg yolkeo wrote:What nobody got any pics to show!?!
I still need to upload mine. I know I've got at least one shot of Diana, Kay and I completely faced on Sunday night.
haha sweet how bout some of the dorky costumes or any celebs?
I got a few shots of people in costumes. Bear in mind I was hammered so the shots I took probably suck.

I didn't get any shots of celebs. Stan Lee walked right by us when we were standing behind the Hyatt, but he walked by so quickly that I barely even saw him. Brent Spiner (Data on Star Trek) came by the Utilikilts booth, so that was pretty cool. And Laurel K. Hamilton wound up comparing nipple piercing guages with a girl in our booth. That was pretty fun for all involved. Unfortunately none of this was captured photographically.

Anyway, I'll try to remember to upload the pics some time this week. I'll post anything that's worth posting.
Let the joyous celebrations of Hell begin!

Diana

Post by Diana » Thu September 22nd, 2011, 11:10 am

Strange wrote: Bear in mind I was hammered
I read this as "Beer in mind." Still works.

The shots I took on my phone are all drunk and blurry. Except this one that Kay shot of me and the Yip Yips:

Here's the Corpse-Paint Wrestler. I didn't catch his name:

Image Image Image Image

...or get a clean shot of him, obviously. This was somewhere around Beer 5. Kay and I agreed that reporting back to this board with photos was mandatory.

And which one of you assholes is this?

I'm really gonna need that shirt. Like immediately.

Chris is processing the shots in the camera, and considering he's still processing the shots from last year, it could be a while. I can't wait to see how graceful and composed I am in Strange's pics.

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Thu September 22nd, 2011, 1:02 pm

Haha that Gozerhead shirt is incredible.
<a href="http://spewtilator.bandcamp.com">SPEWTILATOR</a> - Badass motherfuckin' street cops with nothing to lose who don't play by the rules and are out for blood.
Tricalibur wrote:I am looking for Skullcrusher and Dynamo.

egg yolkeo

Post by egg yolkeo » Thu September 22nd, 2011, 5:38 pm

hehe the yip yips

Strange

Post by Strange » Fri September 23rd, 2011, 11:55 am

Diana wrote:
Strange wrote: Bear in mind I was hammered
I read this as "Beer in mind." Still works.

I'm really gonna need that shirt. Like immediately.

Chris is processing the shots in the camera, and considering he's still processing the shots from last year, it could be a while. I can't wait to see how graceful and composed I am in Strange's pics.
"Beer in mind," indeed! haha

That's actually my friend John. I'm pretty sure he got it at the Con, but I'm also sure it can be found online somewhere.

AmoebicDysentery

Post by AmoebicDysentery » Fri September 23rd, 2011, 1:57 pm

The wrestler in the corpse paint would be The Reverend Dan Wilson!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVMXIyM2 ... re=related

Diana

Post by Diana » Fri September 23rd, 2011, 4:51 pm

AmoebicDysentery wrote:The wrestler in the corpse paint would be The Reverend Dan Wilson!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVMXIyM2 ... re=related
HAHA!! YES! All that and charisma too. Plus Wrestling Abbath!

Diana

Post by Diana » Fri September 23rd, 2011, 4:53 pm

Strange wrote:That's actually my friend John. I'm pretty sure he got it at the Con, but I'm also sure it can be found online somewhere.
That guy was with you? Of course! :lol: He was very nice about me getting all drunkenly up in his face (abdomen) for my blurry picture.

WREKage-Paul
WREKage Staff

Post by WREKage-Paul » Sun October 16th, 2011, 12:46 am

Finally getting back to this after D*C and ProgPower. :)
Strange wrote:
badcarburetor wrote:Does not paying a "guarantee" = not paying at all and the band only makes what they pull in merch sales? Since there isn't a door price to split, I don't see how a band would get paid without a guarnatee, unless it was some benevolent unspecified handout at the end.

Just curious.
Pretty sure no guarantee = no pay.

I think it could still be worth it though as long as you have a cool merch booth with lots of schwag to sell.
Yep. A good presence helps. Last year I know of one band, Celldweller, that was new to D*C, did not get a guarantee, and still cleared their expenses (travelling down from NY and then home to MI) via merch sales. I also know of one longtime D*C performing act that has easily sold merch in the five digits range in past years.

For out-of-town acts, D*C will normally pick up a hotel room or two, and bands get a merch table in the middle of the Marriott, between both of the Exhibit Halls and above the Dealers Room, for the entire run of the con. In short, it's mercantile heaven. In certain cases I'm sure D*C has paid a guarantee (I doubt Mindless Self Indulgence or Jefferson Starship played for free), but that's rare.

Bands USED to be over in the Hyatt, two floors down from the lobby, but the visibility was kinda lousy. A certain band's frontman intervened, the bands were moved to their current, more-visible location, and thank goodness for that.
A decent national act should be able to kick ass merch-wise and make money even without getting a guarantee, and many have. It's just that the word of this has spread quicker in the goth community than elsewhere.
Community host for WREKage
www.wrekage.org
Friday night, midnight 'til we get tired, 91.1 FM

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Mon October 17th, 2011, 7:37 am

How would one go about having their band play the con?
<a href="http://spewtilator.bandcamp.com">SPEWTILATOR</a> - Badass motherfuckin' street cops with nothing to lose who don't play by the rules and are out for blood.
Tricalibur wrote:I am looking for Skullcrusher and Dynamo.

Strange

Post by Strange » Tue October 18th, 2011, 10:01 am

You know what I think could really work as far as giving Metal a bit more of a presence in the band lineup...establish an event at the con. I'm thinking a total full-on post-apocalyptic Mad Max rager. Fucking Thunderdome!

Take a handful of local metal bands, maybe a regional or national act just to give it a little extra cache (Goatwhore's probably available!), add in suspension performances, the terror twins, a chainsaw fight (or some slightly less lethal combat/contests), people walking around dressed as mutant freaks, etc.

Basically a good Metal show that's got enough of a con hook that the con people would be interested in doing it, con-goers would make an effort to attend, and it would be a little different than a show you could just go see on any given weekend...despite Goatwhore being involved. haha

Plus, if our merch tables wind up in the same area that could become a cool spot to meet up/hang out and promote the show during the rest of the con.

Just throwing this all out there. Obviously if it happens I want my band involved. :twisted: