Death metal band saves cats from life on the street

open forum for any and all conversations

Moderators: Brian, Metalfreak, MS_39455, AtlantaMetal Staff

Animal
Location: East Peoria, IL, USA(Yes, I'm a Yankee Blue Stater!)

Post by Animal » Thu January 5th, 2012, 5:18 pm

Brett Stevens, Houston Metal Music Examiner
December 28, 2011

Our streets are awash in stray animals. The ASPCA estimates that "approximately 5 million to 7 million companion animals enter animal shelters nationwide every year, and approximately 3 million to 4 million are euthanized (60 percent of dogs and 70 percent of cats)."

Donald Tardy of death metal band Obituary and his wife, Heather, spend their spare time and most of their "spare" money picking up stray cats off the street and taking care of them. Their charity, the Metal Meowlisha, cares for 20 colonies of feral cats 365 days a year.

They say:

This also involves continually practicing Trap-Neuter-Return and using spay/neuter to control the population of free roaming cats in our area. The ASPCA endorses Trap-Neuter-Return as the ONLY Humane and Effective manner of managing free roaming cat populations, and so do we!

In caring for so many cats on the streets, we find many abandoned cats, especially in the current economy and college area that we are working in. Often they are in need of health care, some need extensive treatment. The MM works with our vet and local clinics to the sick and injured cats we find, and networks with the wonderful rescues and shelter in our city to help find homes for friendly, adoptable cats and kittens.

We strive to provide medical care as needed to sick or injured feral cats so they can be returned to their outdoor homes to live happily and comfortably. The MM embraces a no-kill ideology and strives to treat sick and injured cats without euthanizing cats based on financial considerations or testing positive for infectious diseases.
Advertisement

Especially in winter, when many people go on vacation and "forget" their pets, cats and dogs hit the streets in droves. These animals lose their collars, lose their way and soon are more wandering strays who fall prey to cars, starvation, disease and human cruelty.

You'd rather forget about this, and so would I. But death metal has never run away from the grim truths of life, or the knowledge that we can do something to fix all of these problems. One start is to help out Donald and Heather as they care for stray cats in their area.

For more information, visit the Metal Meowlisha page and consider making a donation or helping to publicize the metal cat salvation crusade. For great justice!

Diana

Post by Diana » Fri January 6th, 2012, 6:23 am

Bravo. It costs real money to do this.

I wish we could do it with people.

Moloc

Post by Moloc » Fri January 6th, 2012, 9:16 am

Diana wrote:I wish we could do it with people.

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Fri January 6th, 2012, 12:26 pm

That's really cool. My wife does this, but only with one colony of cats behind the shopping center where the Highlander is located. There are hundreds of cats back there that people never see.
Diana wrote: God damn fuckin shit
The Crawling Chaos

MS_39455
AtlantaMetal Staff

Post by MS_39455 » Fri January 6th, 2012, 1:00 pm

Nyarlathotep wrote:That's really cool. My wife does this, but only with one colony of cats behind the shopping center where the Highlander is located. There are hundreds of cats back there that people never see.
I was asleep in that parking lot one night (long story) and awoke to the sound of what I thought was a bunch of girls screaming. Turns out it was just a cat gang bang.

Generubin

Post by Generubin » Fri January 6th, 2012, 7:00 pm

MS_39455 wrote:
Nyarlathotep wrote:That's really cool. My wife does this, but only with one colony of cats behind the shopping center where the Highlander is located. There are hundreds of cats back there that people never see.
I was asleep in that parking lot one night (long story) and awoke to the sound of what I thought was a bunch of girls screaming. Turns out it was just a cat gang bang.

This belongs in a tourist's one hundred places to see in Atlanta.
BlackRoija wrote:Cut your hair and worship Jesus

Metalfreak

Post by Metalfreak » Sun January 8th, 2012, 4:00 pm

Generubin wrote:
MS_39455 wrote:

This belongs in a tourist's one hundred places to see in Atlanta.
:lol:

Yeah I never knew there were a bunch of cats behind there. I think that's pretty cool what Donald and his wife are doing though.

Azrael

Post by Azrael » Mon January 23rd, 2012, 3:48 pm

I was trying to save one of the ten or so kittens that live behind my apartment in a small patch of woods. It was starved and cold, and despite my best efforts it died in my arms. It was completely devestating.

Kaganator

Post by Kaganator » Mon January 23rd, 2012, 3:54 pm

Azrael wrote:I was trying to save one of the ten or so kittens that live behind my apartment in a small patch of woods. It was starved and cold, and despite my best efforts it died in my arms. It was completely devestating.
:(

Metalfreak

Post by Metalfreak » Mon January 23rd, 2012, 9:22 pm

man dude, that sucks. I watched a poor kitten die when I was 10 and it was so sad. Our cat had kittens and one of our dogs bit the one kitten...poor thing bled to death.