The historic Masquerade

open forum for any and all conversations

Moderators: Brian, Metalfreak, MS_39455, AtlantaMetal Staff

BoB

The historic Masquerade

Post by BoB » Wed March 16th, 2005, 6:00 pm

So I just read where the city has submitted a request to make the Masquerade a historic building. That in itself prevents the owner from tearing down the building. Has anyone heard anything more about this? I guess the venue will still shut down even if the building stays up?

Asrynth

Post by Asrynth » Wed March 16th, 2005, 6:52 pm

I dont know about that But I heard it was moving locations and opening back up, Do you know where they may be moving to?

Fn Dan

Post by Fn Dan » Thu March 17th, 2005, 1:32 am

I don't know anyone that knows what is going on with the Masquerade. I see it staying open at least through 2005 though, as my guess.

God of Brutality

Post by God of Brutality » Thu March 17th, 2005, 11:38 am

problem with the building being historic. The guy who owns it can do nothing with it. He can only restore it and will more then likely have to close the doors. Its bullshit that the historical society wants to make it a historic building.. The guy would have to make all the repairs out of his pocket and dump a bunch of money into a place thats not generating the money he would spend. If it were a place that millions flock too then fine but its a shitty old building in a city full of shitty old buildings. I for one am for the destruction of Masq. just so the owner doesnt get raped by some bullshit organization that doesnt contribute any money into the city economics but is more then willing to get there gov. funding.. Fuck the goverment and the idiot societies. Does it really inrich our lives to know that the building will fall down with people in it more then likely, hell you can feal the building move when theres a big show like dillinger or mastadon... \m/ Destroy the Masq..!!! Open a new club with a half way decent sound system and stage lights higher then 3 ft off the performers head..
Last edited by God of Brutality on Thu March 17th, 2005, 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

God of Brutality

Post by God of Brutality » Thu March 17th, 2005, 11:39 am

doh double post

Mike
WREKage Staff

Post by Mike » Thu March 17th, 2005, 5:19 pm

Yeah I read about that somewhere too. But it's not definite yet. They're trying to make it a historic building. Dean (the owner) was quoted as being tired of fighting for his right to sell it. If i find the article I'll post it.

Mike
WREKage Staff

Post by Mike » Thu March 17th, 2005, 5:22 pm

Found it. http://www.wsbtv.com/news/4258441/detail.html
I don't know if there's any newer information.

VibrationsOfDoom

masquerade

Post by VibrationsOfDoom » Wed May 4th, 2005, 2:47 am

I don't know for sure what's going on, but I do see that at least through the summer there are shows booked... And let's face it, if the club does close down, what's going to happen to the building? Are people going to set up a booth and charge people admission to look at the contraption outside that maybe used ot be a working, well, what does that damn thing do anyway!??!??! Any other club that tries to take the Masquerade's place, will have a hard time... It's going to take time ot get the word out and some people might not read Creative Loafing... And how will booking agents respond to "a new club?" But I assume the bands HAVE to play somewhere... If they decide to come through Atlanta again...

How many shows have passed Atlanta right by? Remember the Ozzfest thing? The Gathering/Agalloch didn't even come close... I remember when Judas Priest did some dates that went to South Carolina and then right to Florida...

ratanda
AtlantaMetal Staff

Re: masquerade

Post by ratanda » Wed May 4th, 2005, 2:54 pm

VibrationsOfDoom wrote:And let's face it, if the club does close down, what's going to happen to the building?
The article in the link above said it would be torn down to make room for condos.

VibrationsOfDoom

No...

Post by VibrationsOfDoom » Wed May 4th, 2005, 6:36 pm

No, I mean if they're not allowed to tear the building down, but the guy says f-it and closes the club I mean...

holly
WREKage Staff

Re: No...

Post by holly » Thu May 5th, 2005, 12:00 am

VibrationsOfDoom wrote:No, I mean if they're not allowed to tear the building down, but the guy says f-it and closes the club I mean...
He loses the money that he would have gotten from the condo developers and in turn, gets fucked by the city of Atlanta.

It's being fought out right now, I believe, so we'll see.