Gear and Gear Fixin' Thread

open forum for any and all conversations

Moderators: Brian, Metalfreak, MS_39455, AtlantaMetal Staff

Ryan

Gear and Gear Fixin' Thread

Post by Ryan » Sat February 18th, 2012, 10:47 pm

Since there's quite a few "musicians" on here I figured a thread to talk about gear was in order.

Currently I'm in need of someone or somewhere that does speaker cone repair at a reasonable price. Got 4 bass speakers that sound like my asshole after a night of heavy drinking and taco bell rituals. Anyone got somebody they'd recommend?
<a href="http://spewtilator.bandcamp.com">SPEWTILATOR</a> - Badass motherfuckin' street cops with nothing to lose who don't play by the rules and are out for blood.
Tricalibur wrote:I am looking for Skullcrusher and Dynamo.

Josh

Post by Josh » Sat February 18th, 2012, 11:21 pm

There is this place right off Windy Hill in Marietta I think its called Speaker repair or Speaker-Electronics or some shit. They fix amps and cabinets and shit. Got this old 70's Peavy powered mixer fixed there and it worked fine after repaired.
There's usually some good deals on equipment since they have people drop shit off to be repaired and never come back for it.

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Sat February 18th, 2012, 11:57 pm

Word, I'll try and look em up, thanks.
<a href="http://spewtilator.bandcamp.com">SPEWTILATOR</a> - Badass motherfuckin' street cops with nothing to lose who don't play by the rules and are out for blood.

MS_39455
AtlantaMetal Staff

Post by MS_39455 » Sun February 19th, 2012, 12:40 am

Pretty sure Steve at Atlanta Tube Amp (actually in Smyrna) still does speaker repair. He overhauled and bias modded a 5150 Sig of mine that sounds amazing. He works from home, but does really good work. His place is always full of amp guts and speaker re-conings in progress. Pretty fast turn around, good communication, and reasonable rates.

Wizard Electronics on Tullie Rd has been reccomended to me more than once for amp and speaker repair also, though I've never used them before.

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Sun February 19th, 2012, 3:03 pm

Awesome, thanks Tommy!!!

badcarburetor

Post by badcarburetor » Sun February 19th, 2012, 3:26 pm

I've used Wizard off and on since the mid-80s and rarely had a good experience. They are VERY expensive and will never go an extra 1/8 mile just to make a customer paying a high hourly rate happy.

Many times the gear that I took in was returned to me unfixed or so poorly fixed that it broke again quickly.

I don't like smack talking a local business, but I would seriously avoid Wizard.
"God created the devil? At least he did *something* cool." Homer J. Simpson

Barry Clark

Post by Barry Clark » Sun February 19th, 2012, 8:35 pm

Josh wrote:There is this place right off Windy Hill in Marietta I think its called Speaker repair or Speaker-Electronics or some shit. They fix amps and cabinets and shit. Got this old 70's Peavy powered mixer fixed there and it worked fine after repaired.
There's usually some good deals on equipment since they have people drop shit off to be repaired and never come back for it.
Northwest speaker repair. They've reconed for me. Did good work.
<a href="http://www.myspace.com/damnageband">DAMNAGE on Myspace</a>

Neither scene nor herd

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Mon February 20th, 2012, 9:23 am

Barry Clark wrote:
Josh wrote:There is this place right off Windy Hill in Marietta I think its called Speaker repair or Speaker-Electronics or some shit. They fix amps and cabinets and shit. Got this old 70's Peavy powered mixer fixed there and it worked fine after repaired.
Northwest speaker repair. They've reconed for me. Did good work.
Sent these dudes an email, hopefully their price is around what I'm looking to pay.

Strange

Post by Strange » Mon February 20th, 2012, 11:28 am

badcarburetor wrote:I've used Wizard off and on since the mid-80s and rarely had a good experience. They are VERY expensive and will never go an extra 1/8 mile just to make a customer paying a high hourly rate happy.

Many times the gear that I took in was returned to me unfixed or so poorly fixed that it broke again quickly.

I don't like smack talking a local business, but I would seriously avoid Wizard.
Sadly, this is all truth.

Jeff Bakos does a great job with the electronic side of amp repairs but no clue if he does speaker repair.
Let the joyous celebrations of Hell begin!

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Mon February 20th, 2012, 12:30 pm

Strange wrote:
badcarburetor wrote:I've used Wizard off and on since the mid-80s and rarely had a good experience. They are VERY expensive and will never go an extra 1/8 mile just to make a customer paying a high hourly rate happy.

Sadly, this is all truth.

Jeff Bakos does a great job with the electronic side of amp repairs but no clue if he does speaker repair.
Good to know about Wizard, do you know of a way to get in touch with Jeff? Northwest quoted me about $50 a speaker to recone.

badcarburetor

Post by badcarburetor » Mon February 20th, 2012, 1:37 pm

Jeff Bakos is a rad dude and super convenient. 404-607-8426

Also give Jon Bailey out in Alpharetta/Roswell a shot. He did some top notch work for a while back. 770-309-4664.

Hopefully, these guys can point you in the right direction if they don't do that work themselves.

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Mon February 20th, 2012, 5:23 pm

Thanks! Phones called and messages left so hopefully I can get a good deal... defintely would like to avoid paying $200 for the work.

badcarburetor

Post by badcarburetor » Tue February 21st, 2012, 12:09 pm

Looks like my bass player blew out a speaker last night, too. So please post up whatever you find on re-coning. Thanks.

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Tue February 21st, 2012, 1:10 pm

badcarburetor wrote:Looks like my bass player blew out a speaker last night, too. So please post up whatever you find on re-coning. Thanks.
Haha that sucks!! I'll definitely post my results. Only quote I've gotten so far is $50-$55 per speaker at Northwest but hopefully I'll get some calls back from Jeff and the others I left messages with.

badcarburetor

Post by badcarburetor » Tue March 20th, 2012, 12:26 pm

Any word on this?