children of bodom is for faggots

open forum for any and all conversations

Moderators: Brian, Metalfreak, MS_39455, AtlantaMetal Staff

ratanda
AtlantaMetal Staff

Post by ratanda » Mon April 11th, 2005, 1:20 pm

I stopped liking them with Hate Crew Death Roll, but only because it seemed they're just rehashing their old riffs and not doing anything new. So my reason for lack of interest is different from most people's haha. And I enjoy their 2nd CD Hatebreeder a lot.

Zane

Post by Zane » Mon April 11th, 2005, 7:16 pm

When I said they have been around awhile, in my honest opinion that means they have already done the stuff you want to hear. go to the back catolog. If you don't like the new stuff, don't listen to it. Sheesh, you guys sound like a bunch girls with PMS.

soulvoid

Post by soulvoid » Mon April 11th, 2005, 9:05 pm

This is just my take on it , I am not a fan of COB myself, but they have thier place on WREKage and in the metal communtity including these forums. I myself tend to break bands down by genre , however if we really are honest with ourselves. Metal is metal and most of ALL of us started out with trendy pop metal crap than jumping head on into death,black,grind, or anything else. I myself started with the fucking Slippery When Wet cassette. I then moved onto Crue , and then Metallica and so on , way back in the day. Looking back what I thought was metal (Jovi,Crue) was not metal at all in comparison to what I would later listen to. So if 15 year guys/girls like Mudvanyne , COB , Static X , or any of these kinda bands , thats cool by me. We all started somewhere. I would rather have them listening to "Mainstream" metal than NO metal at all. All the youngsters could be listening to stuff with no edge at all (i.e Britney , Justin , Duff , etc. ) I ain't complaining if I hear Slipknot blasting outta some young punks car. It's the girls and guys blasting Top 40 Pop that kills me.

Ecrypt

Post by Ecrypt » Mon April 11th, 2005, 9:05 pm

I happened to ask the 15 year olds what do they like about them, and they said that "the lead singer is hot because he wears eyeliner". wtf.
well maybe if more of us wore eyeliner this "scene" wouldn't look like such a gay sausage party. here is the probelm, most of us listen to metal because we actually like music for coherent melody or technical prowess off its musicians. there are however some of us that just ache so terribly to appear different, and when anybody encroaches on the underground bands they sought to claim as their own, they get intimidated. like ideological political pricks, they cant comprehend anything that steps outside of thier ideas of what a band should sound and look like. and close off anybody that doesnt LOOK like they should be listening to metal... I know of several people that will sing the praises of a band until they get some attention and appreciation and then say they hate them, coincidentally saying they "dont like the new stuff." and the WORST part is that they claim that nobody listens to REAL music, where if they DID listen to metal, elitists would call them out as posers, fags, or mallrats... its this cycle of ignorance that keeps this "scene" from being respected and made fun of as unintelligent and bigoted. It would be different if COB were big headed pop-stars like metallica that dont know when to shut up and play their instruments, but you will probably never even hear of them outside of a metal magazine... I thought being metal was to adhere to what you like and believe reguardless of what anybody else thinks or says. Metal is supposed to be more about raw music than looks or press...I think if you're really metal or have any balls on you, stop being bothered by mall kids. dont listen to bands that you wouldnt listen to if they got big, enjoy what you like and stop all this pussy whining! otherwise, hang up your leather and spikes and go listen to yanni

Asrynth

Post by Asrynth » Mon April 11th, 2005, 9:25 pm

You make alot of good points and I agree with almost all of them except the one about "I dont like the new stuff", If you listen to hatebreeder and some of Follow The Reaper(of COB's for example its the COB thread), and then listen to the next two new records and tell me they havent changed then I dont know what to say, Its like they are a different band, they produced three good CD's with Nuclear Blast, they move to Century Media, they put out two shitty CD's in a row, and now they are in all these magazines and TV shows you would never have seen them on before. Saying you dont like someones new stuff isnt a "trendy" kind of thing in my mind, If a band hits a wall and cant put out any more music you cant keep wearing out the same old cd's and expect not to get tired of them and wonder what the hell is going on.

Ecrypt

Post by Ecrypt » Mon April 11th, 2005, 10:04 pm

Ill agree with you, and I'm not pointing fingers at anybody. but I just think some people excuse themselves of the stigma that comes with liking a successful band in metal by saying they dont like newer material. Of course their newer material is different, but you cant expect every band in the world to be The Ramones and play the same exact album over an over. If nobody palyed anythng different we would have a very stagnant scene and a TON of cpoycat bands. (which metal has plenty of...) you're damned if you change and youre damned if you dont it seems. a band like children of bodom or in flames, just so happen to explore different ways of writing songs (whether they cater to mass media or not) when they garner attention and they are crucified by their old fans. whereas every underground progressive band changes with every release and they're praised for it. then on the otherhand, you have Cannibal Corpse who have vowed never to abandon traditional death metal, havent changed much, and their last 2 albums have fell flat on old listeners ears... wouldnt you get bored of playing the same glam metal that COB ahve been playing for so long? Progression, good or bad is the natural darwin way of things. I think if you truly like a band, and if they are a genuine issue, you can find something there that carries over across the discography. if you didnt like them that much in the first place, what room do you have to bitch about them? the problem we as metal fans have is a double standard, too many of us typecast and stereotype the things which fall out of our tradition. where most of us want to escape the traditions and rip off people's head when they stereotype us.

Matt

Post by Matt » Tue April 12th, 2005, 4:45 am

hey kurt, how have you been? im glad you agree with me on this. did you guys get those legions of astaroth/hellgoat splits in yet? i definitely need to buy one. i was extremely impressed when i saw you guys a couple weeks ago. so how can i get one of those splits?

-matt

Matt

Post by Matt » Tue April 12th, 2005, 5:08 am

overall, the main point i am trying to make was already well stated by kurt. COB has taken the place of bands like limp bizkit and mudvayne, it is marketed to the SAME EXACT crowd. a bunch of 14-15 year olds who walk around saying they fucking love "death metal", when none of them have actually ever appreciated or listened to essential death metal albums like scream bloody gore, consuming impulse, seven churchs, altars of madness, or cause of death. its fucking bullshit. bodom are a bunch of pussies. they arent death metal, or even power metal. they are bullshit. if you want to hear actual power metal than listen to fucking iron maiden, and if you want to hear good death metal listen to suffocation. otherwise quit running around and acting like COB started something new, BECAUSE THEY DIDNT. Crap like that gives a bad name to metal. COB is a fucking boy band.

Mike
WREKage Staff

Post by Mike » Tue April 12th, 2005, 8:40 am

Matt wrote:overall, the main point i am trying to make was already well stated by kurt. COB has taken the place of bands like limp bizkit and mudvayne, it is marketed to the SAME EXACT crowd. a bunch of 14-15 year olds who walk around saying they fucking love "death metal", when none of them have actually ever appreciated or listened to essential death metal albums like scream bloody gore, consuming impulse, seven churchs, altars of madness, or cause of death. its fucking bullshit. bodom are a bunch of pussies. they arent death metal, or even power metal. they are bullshit. if you want to hear actual power metal than listen to fucking iron maiden, and if you want to hear good death metal listen to suffocation. otherwise quit running around and acting like COB started something new, BECAUSE THEY DIDNT. Crap like that gives a bad name to metal. COB is a fucking boy band.
I seriously don't know what you're talking about. COB isn't marketed at all in the US. They're not even on a major label. I have never seen them on TV. And I don't think COB is death metal or power metal. They're kind of in their own genre. But it's still awesome. And I like Maiden, but really that shit is more pussy then COB. Maiden really isn't that heavy.
Do you think they're pussy because of the melodies?
COB has rough vocals, no singing. The rythym riffs are heavy.
The only thing i could see as justification is the keyboard/lead guitar parts. But they're not the only band to do this. In Flames is pussy too if we're hating on everything that has a melody.

Matt

Post by Matt » Tue April 12th, 2005, 9:36 am

There is nothing pussy about Iron Maiden. By just comparing COB to Iron Maiden is an insult. Iron Maiden are way better musicians and song writers. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy classic melodic death metal albums like "terminal spirit disease" by at the gates, or "heartwork" by carcass. I enjoy good melodies. I DO NOT ENJOY WORTHLESS GARBAGE LIKE BODOM!!!!

Kurt

Post by Kurt » Tue April 12th, 2005, 1:37 pm

Matt, there was a fuck-up at the plant with the split CDs. It is being fixed right now and I expect to have them available in about two weeks. You can check out an mp3 of both bands (as well as a song from the new Lament Configuration album) on the record label's site. www.vileartrecords.com

Certainly not up to par with new material, but conveys the atmosphere of the time perfectly.

As for COB, I find it disgusting that metal is so fucking devoid of ideology that people can appreciate a band who writes their lyrics in the studio on a whim. Even if they didn't write them on a whim, they're still completely asinine.

BlazeTSU
AtlantaMetal Staff

Post by BlazeTSU » Tue April 12th, 2005, 2:05 pm

i can write meaningful lyrics that have roots in my idealogy, spirituality and opinions in the studio. i don't think that means much at all; seeing how ridiculously stupid lyrics can be written years in advance.

but honestly.........WHO CARES? we are talking about children of friggin bodom here. it doesn't even seem like anyone even likes them. everyone starts off with "i'm not a COB fan....but". why don't we drop this garbage and listen to the music each one of us want to listen to? i don't know a thing about COB except for that i've heard them on wrekage for years...........so i know that they have paid some dues. i know that the guitarist can shred his brians out and that they aren't worth us bitchin about'em for a week and attacking each other.

Greg
WREKage Staff

Post by Greg » Tue April 12th, 2005, 3:22 pm

My life is now more complete and meaningful thanks to the fact that I am aware you don't like Children of Bodom and that you think listening to them is "for faggots".

You can shut up about it now, thanks.

TheKshatriya

Post by TheKshatriya » Tue April 12th, 2005, 11:35 pm

I agree 100% with matt and kurt

ratanda
AtlantaMetal Staff

Post by ratanda » Wed April 13th, 2005, 1:04 pm

Matt wrote:There is nothing pussy about Iron Maiden.