is this seriously a review for an album?

open forum for any and all conversations

Moderators: Brian, Metalfreak, MS_39455, AtlantaMetal Staff

SlashAndThrash

Post by SlashAndThrash » Wed September 12th, 2012, 1:24 pm

log^Anarchy wrote:
SlashAndThrash wrote:Yeah man the common "review" was really stagnating. Thank god the useless shit I left behind on livejournal in high school is making a comeback. If you want to write about how music makes you feel, open your own pretentious artfag blog. Dont post it in a review section. Waste of space. But what do me know me just discovered fire and you college real person durrr durrrrrrr
Hey man, having lurked this forum for a while, I have to say you come off as a judgmental, immature asshole in pretty much every single post of yours.

I've never met you in person, so in reality you may be a real cool guy, but your posts don't really seem to add much beside "why the fuck isn't mangled on this show???!!???" and calling people faggots. Grow up or something.
chhsshh, deal with it funboy. I havent said shit half as bad as some people in here
or
;__________________________;
G.O.R.E.
Billy and Agnes wrote:JUST LIKE HAVING A WAAART REMOOOVED

Knucklehead

Post by Knucklehead » Wed September 12th, 2012, 4:56 pm

Brian wrote:
Knucklehead wrote:My god. Metal heads will argue about anything.
I think that's just me.
Agumentative motherfucker.

BlackRoija
WREKage Staff

Post by BlackRoija » Wed September 12th, 2012, 5:10 pm

Moloc wrote:OK. So I read the "review" and I have to say that I like the writing style and the honesty in it, but I don't see much about the band or the music itself. Perhaps if you had tied in particular tracks and their elements to the emotions they conjure up it would make more sense as a review.
Too direct for my taste, at least in this particular instance. It is entirely about the band, I'm just using feelings from a particular point in my life to make it more relatable than to specify "track X is like this one time where I...". That's high school english class writing. I do write like that sometimes, but not here. Anything I would write about the band or music where I refer directly to the piece would be superfluous and make everything I had just written a waste. I outline a laundry list of things that come to my mind, and all that's necessary to tie it to the album is the final line: "Those kind of feelings produce music like this." That's all that's necessary, because this album is about nothing else but a condensation of those feelings. The actual technical details of the album aren't important because they aren't particularly notable. They're means to a very particular end, and that's to make you feel like the review describes. To go any further than that final line in my explanation would reduce the impact of everything above and insult the reader's intuition.

To know more, you have to actually listen to the damn thing. Words can only say so much, and mine can say no more.

Odinson666

Yess

Post by Odinson666 » Mon September 17th, 2012, 10:07 am

I like typing about music

I also like to fap while I text people about necrobestial rape role play scenarios

Or like I'm keeping a captains log of " Keep on the borderlands"

and then I blog about it before I cry myself to sleep.

badcarburetor

Post by badcarburetor » Mon September 17th, 2012, 11:22 am

"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture."
"God created the devil? At least he did *something* cool." Homer J. Simpson

stewvee

Post by stewvee » Mon September 17th, 2012, 11:36 am

That statement (who was the first to say it? Costello?) doesn't really work---at least not in the way it's intended.

Dancing/writing are both self-expressive "artful" activities that can "communicate" to an audience. Likewise for music/architecture.

So the statement, "Writing about music..." intended to render said music writing a pointless activity ends up being a tautology. That is, the statement conveys nothing.
Brian wrote:dance, monkey, dance!!
http://chipsandbeermag.tumblr.com/

Knucklehead

Post by Knucklehead » Mon September 17th, 2012, 11:54 am

stewvee wrote:That statement (who was the first to say it? Costello?) doesn't really work---at least not in the way it's intended.
More than you can ever have wished to know about the phrase here. It is amazing what the internet can dish up.

Anyway, tl/dnr.

stewvee

Post by stewvee » Mon September 17th, 2012, 12:25 pm

You owe me your copy of Panzerfaust for putting that link here. :)

badcarburetor

Post by badcarburetor » Mon September 17th, 2012, 4:08 pm

Gotcha!

I just love that quote and the mystery behind it. There is something to it and nothing to it at all.

And in my life I've subscribed to and bought enough music magazines to build a tenement block.
"God created the devil? At least he did *something* cool." Homer J. Simpson

Odinson666

Post by Odinson666 » Mon September 17th, 2012, 4:37 pm

badcarburetor wrote:"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture."
I have always thought of skate boarding as dancing to architecture

stewvee

Post by stewvee » Mon September 17th, 2012, 4:41 pm

badcarburetor wrote:I just love that quote and the mystery behind it. There is something to it and nothing to it at all.
I HATE HATE HATE it. It's used all the time as a sort of "smart bomb," and it's really just the equivalent of a long greasy fart. How there isn't an ONLINE music "mag" called DANCING ABOUT ARCHITECTURE is beyond me.

Metalfreak

Post by Metalfreak » Mon September 17th, 2012, 4:44 pm

I've never heard that quote before until I read it just now on here. I like it. badcarburator explained it best.
They had you do a drug test and the forgot to test for drugs???

BlackRoija
WREKage Staff

Post by BlackRoija » Mon September 17th, 2012, 4:54 pm

Adhering to the opinion that supports the strict separation of different modes of expression is one of the reasons why modern society is so generally artistically stunted, methinks. Even our own brains work that way; you don't hear a voice as well if you can't see a mouth forming the words. Music, visual art, et cetera aren't standalone entities.

SlashAndThrash

Post by SlashAndThrash » Mon September 17th, 2012, 5:41 pm

blackroija open a music blog called Dancing about architecture. its genius.
G.O.R.E.
Billy and Agnes wrote:JUST LIKE HAVING A WAAART REMOOOVED

stewvee

Post by stewvee » Mon September 17th, 2012, 6:37 pm

And get SCREAM BLOODY GORE to write drunken reviews for it.