Evil Dead remake

open forum for any and all conversations

Moderators: Brian, Metalfreak, MS_39455, AtlantaMetal Staff

TheKshatriya

Evil Dead remake

Post by TheKshatriya » Sat February 23rd, 2013, 4:21 am

Anyone have any thoughts on this? From what Ive read the people who made the original are just remaking it again but making it a lot scarier. The trailer looked promising and I read they arent using any cgi at all. I think Bruce Campbell is working on it too. I actually think it'll live up to what Im expecting, and I dont even really like horror that much.

JägerWolf

Post by JägerWolf » Sat February 23rd, 2013, 5:55 am

I had doubts myself. But Bruce Tweeted that he says it looks really good months back (and you know he's NEVER wrong). And he did indeed produced it. Of course, it may be a fun flick. But I know full well the original will always remain on top regardless.

Diana

Post by Diana » Sat February 23rd, 2013, 6:21 am

My first reaction was "fuck remaking Evil Dead. Leave it alone." Then I heard everyone is involved, so I decided to wait and see. But if they're remaking it "except scarier," why call it Evil Dead? Call it something else! I will never understand that mentality. So I'm still kind of pissed off. But reports are that it looks really scary. So I guess I'm pissed off/cautiously optimistic?

Somehow I ended up with a movie poster at Days of the Dead, and I'm waiting to see how the movie turns out before I throw it away. :?

badcarburetor

Post by badcarburetor » Sat February 23rd, 2013, 2:32 pm

No Ash + Diablo Cody is a writer. Not a promising equation.

Sam and Bruce having producer credits doesn't really mean anything. They could have been added just for a paycheck and to make us have a bit of faith.

Also, wasn't ED2 a remake of ED, already?
"God created the devil? At least he did *something* cool." Homer J. Simpson

Odinson666

Ugh

Post by Odinson666 » Sat February 23rd, 2013, 4:59 pm

I have reached remake exhaustion, sequels I can handle and even a prequel done write, half of these remakes are really just using the name to sell the brand but seem like tired formulaic Halloween specials for the CW, and that can be applied to the Bates Motel show coming out, I feel ashamed for my friends who like it one I_LOVE_ZUCKERPENIS knowing it will be Dawson's Creek with an Oedipus complex

TheKshatriya

Post by TheKshatriya » Sat February 23rd, 2013, 5:45 pm

Ive hated every remake thats been made over the past 10+ years, but for some reason I have faith in this one. Maybe its just the no cgi part.

Either way im going to see it. Evil Dead 2 was pretty much the exact same thing as the first one, I think with just a bigger budget and lead into Army of Darkness, which was awesome.

I thought both Halloweens were horrible and the worst of the remakes. I hated House of 1000 Corpses and the Devils Rejects too.

SlashAndThrash

Post by SlashAndThrash » Sat February 23rd, 2013, 7:00 pm

badcarburetor wrote:No Ash + Diablo Cody is a writer. Not a promising equation.

Sam and Bruce having producer credits doesn't really mean anything. They could have been added just for a paycheck and to make us have a bit of faith.

Also, wasn't ED2 a remake of ED, already?
no Ash is the perhaps most promising part of the equation- it deducts a huge reason for people to bitch. And who cares if Diablo Cody is doing some scrit stuff, you can't honestly believe that there's a danger of this turning out to be Juno or something.

Bruce and Sam have been working closely with this project. Now, I don't think Bruce OR Sam know dick about good horror these days, but their involvement goes at least beyond a superficial credit. Whether or not that means anything will be seen.

And lastly, no. Evil Dead 2 is not a remake of Evil Dead. The forst 20 minutes of the movie is a recap of the original, subtracting all characters except Ash and his girlfriend fpr time and money purposes. Where Evil Dead ends, ED2 picks up starting when Ash is flying through the air and passes out in the puddle before being possessed
G.O.R.E.
Billy and Agnes wrote:JUST LIKE HAVING A WAAART REMOOOVED

SlashAndThrash

Post by SlashAndThrash » Sat February 23rd, 2013, 7:16 pm

And I personally think this movie is going to be cool as fuck. At this point, it looks awesome.

Remake hate has gotten on my nerves lately more than the remakes themselves. I agree as much as anyone that Hollywood needs to start making their own ideas instead of exploiting classics with soulless remakes, but lets be real. Arguably the greatest horror movie ever, the Thing, is a remake. 80s Blob crushes 50s Blob. Every home invasion slasher in the world is just a remake of When a Stranger Calls is just a remake of Black Christmas is just a remake of and so on and so forth.

There are terrible remakes. Black X-mas. Nightmare on Elm street. Rob zombie presents: Redneck Halloween 1&2. The list can go on and on- but then theres movies like this, that are obviously a labor of love, made with practical effects, and these movies are obviously not the same soulless CGI tripe. The My Bloody Valentine remake for instance, goes totally overlooked, but that movie doesn't suck at ALL. Its not as good as the original, but shit- the basic story is there, the killer rules, the effects are gpry and not all CGI'd to oblivion, and its very intense. Same with the Hills have Eyes. Shocking, violent, creative spin on a classic that does no damage to the original and stands on its own 2 feet
I think Evil Dead is going to hang with the latter as one of those movies that is a similar but unique experience, and if the trailer is any indication, they have an effects team that are working their asses off. If anything, I feel safe in saying that even if it sucks, it won't be out of lack of caring by the production team.
G.O.R.E.
Billy and Agnes wrote:JUST LIKE HAVING A WAAART REMOOOVED

TheKshatriya

Post by TheKshatriya » Sun February 24th, 2013, 3:44 am

Thinking about it, I actually liked The Thing that came out last year, even though it was technically a prequel. I know the one with Kurt Russell was a remake but I never saw the one from the 50s. Its my favorite horror/thriller movie.

I like Mary Elizabeth Winstead but something about there being no women in the original made it kind of cooler. It felt more secluded.

Generubin

Post by Generubin » Sun February 24th, 2013, 8:02 am

Either way I'll watch it.
BlackRoija wrote:Cut your hair and worship Jesus

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Mon February 25th, 2013, 11:02 am

SlashAndThrash wrote:stuff
I agree with pretty much everything you said on this and if there is indeed no cgi then that makes it even better. From what I remember the original ED wasn't supposed to be campy... it was supposed to be scary as shit and the campiness just kind of happened. I think this re-imagining was being looked at by Raimi and Co. as a chance to go back and make the terrifying movie they intended to make all those years ago.

I was actually saying to someone just the other day, when talking about remakes, that The Hills Have Eyes was actually decent and worth watching... I didn't see the MBV remake but I guess I should take a look... I have a feeling our tastes are pretty similar in the horror department.
<a href="http://spewtilator.bandcamp.com">SPEWTILATOR</a> - Badass motherfuckin' street cops with nothing to lose who don't play by the rules and are out for blood.
Tricalibur wrote:I am looking for Skullcrusher and Dynamo.

Moloc

Post by Moloc » Mon February 25th, 2013, 1:07 pm

You haven't seen Evil Dead II until you've seen it IN a shack in the woods through an iPhone projector hooked up to a marine battery in 4-degree weather.

Azrael

Post by Azrael » Mon February 25th, 2013, 6:45 pm

I'm just tired of being disappointed by movies. They're put out as products with what seems to be no love. Yes, I understand that studios are a buisness and they want to make money and all that bullshit, but if you make a great movie with artistic integrity it usually catches on and does well. I see these remakes as being targeted to high schoolers that are unaware or uninterested in the originals. Basiclly Hollywood shitting on things we loved for a profit from a bunch of dumb ass kids. I fully defend the wave of 80's remakes of 50's movies because the 50's were so primative, why waste a good story on a shitty production. The Thing and the Blob needed to be remade in the 80's, but now they exist and they rule so these high schoolers should be watching those, not half hearted effects extravaganzas.

Strange

Post by Strange » Tue February 26th, 2013, 3:54 pm

I'll definitely check it out. I've enjoyed all of the Evil Dead stuff on some level, so I don't feel like I'll be wasting 2 hours of my life.
Moloc wrote:You haven't seen Evil Dead II until you've seen it IN a shack in the woods through an iPhone projector hooked up to a marine battery in 4-degree weather.
Nice! haha
Let the joyous celebrations of Hell begin!

egg yolkeo

Post by egg yolkeo » Fri March 1st, 2013, 11:17 am

Taking away all the cheese and cheap production/dark comedy for a more serious horror movie could very well ruin it.
Thats what makes Evil Dead such a classic.
Maybe the remake will be good in its own way who knows but I doubt its gonna come close to the original.