Female vox bands

open forum for any and all conversations

Moderators: Brian, Metalfreak, MS_39455, AtlantaMetal Staff

DarkWolfen

Post by DarkWolfen » Tue July 20th, 2004, 2:28 am

Is it that they have to try to simplify the lyrics so that both sexes can understand it or what? Because the Lacuna Coil stuff (at least on Comalies) is generic or stereotypical of a chick band. It sounds good and all but its what makes me shy away from buying alot of albums by The Gathering, LC, and even Nightwish. Which Paul will either fall over in his futon or curse my name for this but its true. :lol:

But Therion isn't in the same league with these bands, because they have a whole gnostic polytheist religion that makes their lyrics, deep and involved. :ph34r:

Bob's take I know, "Women and metal don't mix. Its just pop with guitar." :m1c:

BoB

Post by BoB » Tue July 20th, 2004, 8:20 am

Bob's take I know, "Women and metal don't mix. Its just pop with guitar."  :m1c:
2 words for ya: Lilith Fair :m0nk3yp33:

BlazeTSU
AtlantaMetal Staff

Post by BlazeTSU » Tue July 20th, 2004, 11:31 am

the souls unrest had a chick that did occassional background vocals and she ripped! she sounded like a demon......and eventhough she never did it with us she had a smokin clean voice as well! :m1c:

DarkWolfen

Post by DarkWolfen » Tue July 20th, 2004, 12:31 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-bob+Jul 20 2004, 08:20 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (bob @ Jul 20 2004, 08:20 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->
Bob's take I know, "Women and metal don't mix. Its just pop with guitar." :m1c:
2 words for ya: Lilith Fair :m0nk3yp33: [/quote]
Like I said, I knew your take on it. :sm0k3:

ratanda
AtlantaMetal Staff

Post by ratanda » Tue July 20th, 2004, 2:07 pm

Two bands with female singers that I really enjoy are Amaran and Aghora. Neither really fit into one category. Amaran is quite heavy (one track has death metal vox mixed in), and Aghora are more on the progressive side. I find the singers in both these bands very refreshing because they are very powerful and not the soprano style that is so common with female singers in metal these days.

Also my favorie female singer in metal is Sharon den Adel of Within Temptation. Her voice is beautiful and very powerful.

Death

Post by Death » Tue July 20th, 2004, 10:05 pm

Chicks lack the inspiration to do art or clean a toilet! :punch:

Greg
WREKage Staff

Post by Greg » Wed July 21st, 2004, 10:25 am

A lot of bands write overtly generic lyrics that sound like they were stolen from a 7th grader's diary, but you tend to notice it more with a female singer.

For one thing you can usually hear them clearly so you can hear every word being said, and we as men are genetically predisposed to thinking that 99% of what comes out of a woman's mouth is a bunch of whining anyway.

DarkWolfen

Post by DarkWolfen » Wed July 21st, 2004, 2:15 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Greg+Jul 21 2004, 10:25 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Greg @ Jul 21 2004, 10:25 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> A lot of bands write overtly generic lyrics that sound like they were stolen from a 7th grader's diary, but you tend to notice it more with a female singer.

For one thing you can usually hear them clearly so you can hear every word being said, and we as men are genetically predisposed to thinking that 99% of what comes out of a woman's mouth is a bunch of whining anyway. [/quote]
Greg you hit the nail on the head with that one! All that is missing is the hooting and hollering of a Ricki Lake audience. :lol: :lol:

dumpVokillist

Post by dumpVokillist » Wed July 21st, 2004, 4:41 pm

girls = not metal

DarkWolfen

Post by DarkWolfen » Thu July 22nd, 2004, 12:50 pm

With Greg's post in mind, I found a site with either talented chicks in metal or a bunch of whining women in metal. :lol: :lol:

I see that Theatre of Tragedy got a new vocalist, too bad it won't change their space-techno evolution much. Aegis the best album. :ch33rs:

<a href='http://www.geocities.com/svipdaag/grrls/list2.html' target='_blank'>http://www.geocities.com/svipdaag/grrls/list2.html</a>

I got it off the Astarte links page, what you do think of hot chicks doing black metal?

I'm sure the reaction is still the same. :lol: