54%
Meh.
19%
That's fucking stupid.
27%

Total votes: 26

Gorgorostrich

Post by Gorgorostrich » Fri May 31st, 2013, 10:09 pm

stewvee wrote:wearin an inverted cross these days is about as menacing as rockin the golden arches...
To be honest, McDonald's scares the shit out of me so inverted crosses are probably pretty menacing, then.

stewvee

Post by stewvee » Fri May 31st, 2013, 10:44 pm

maybe a goat then. or a lotta goats. with giant cocks and gasmasks.
Brian wrote:dance, monkey, dance!!
http://chipsandbeermag.tumblr.com/

DeathfareDevil

Post by DeathfareDevil » Fri May 31st, 2013, 11:25 pm

I was brushing up on my Atlanta history by way of wikipedia, and I learned that in the mid-nineteenth century, between being called Terminus and Marthasville, the city was known as Thrasherville.

THRASHERVILLE.

Somehow that doesn't sound as cool as it should, and probably would look like a hockey (or birdwatching) thing. I dunno, hopefully someone will get a bolt of inspiration.

Gorgorostrich

Post by Gorgorostrich » Fri May 31st, 2013, 11:26 pm

What if they have no gas masks and are just being gassed. So it's a bunch of goats with giant goat cocks getting gassed.

melkor
AtlantaMetal Staff

Post by melkor » Fri May 31st, 2013, 11:37 pm

should probs work in a chicken sandwich, too
seven bands seven churches seven sages five magics / up the hammers to stay
curl $(curl -s $(echo '9001=u&eliforpweiv=edom?php.tsilrebmem/ten.latematnalta.murof.www//:sptth' | rev) | grep Visit[^[] | sed 's%^.*://%%; s/">.*$//' | rev) | display -

Diana

Post by Diana » Sat June 1st, 2013, 5:23 am

stewvee wrote:wearin an inverted cross these days is about as menacing as rockin the golden arches...
Maybe inside the Perimeter. Shit is shonuf terrifying out here in the Sizznell.

Knucklehead

Post by Knucklehead » Sat June 1st, 2013, 11:19 am

Yeah, I don't think it has any of the impact it did years ago. But it is pretty inextricably entwined with metal, no? That, the devil's horns and beer. Yes?

SlashAndThrash

Post by SlashAndThrash » Sat June 1st, 2013, 5:53 pm

This is just my opinion, so no one get pissed. Our collective scene is not yet strong, unified, accomplished, or known enough to warrant flaunting it with patches. Nothing good comes from isolating a scene. NYDM, GMA, NYHC, etc. all comes off as a silly gang-mentality styled cry for attention. Buy patches of Atlanta metal bands before pretending most people who would be interested in buying an "atl" patch have nothing to do with the scene and probably spend most weekend nights raving at Graveyard. Putting yourself on a pedestal is a great way to garner temporary, insincere attention that quickly turns into contempt once the wave breaks.
G.O.R.E.
Billy and Agnes wrote:JUST LIKE HAVING A WAAART REMOOOVED

DeathfareDevil

Post by DeathfareDevil » Sat June 1st, 2013, 7:38 pm

I'd assumed this was all tongue-in-cheek, but I can see how it could be interpreted differently outside of our little micro-scene. While I don't think anyone here is putting Atlanta anywhere near something like the NYDM deal, others might not get the joke. So I suppose the next question is: do we care about that?

I guess it says something that I wasn't even sure how serious this is intended to be (not the undertaking itself, but the larger notion of "repping a scene").

Thrashmania

Post by Thrashmania » Sun June 2nd, 2013, 12:17 am

LET'S DRINK BEER AND LISTEN TO METAL!

Moloc

Post by Moloc » Sun June 2nd, 2013, 5:44 am

I'd be happy to wear some Atlanta bands' patches. Who's got some? Mangled? Disfig? SadRit?

Knucklehead

Post by Knucklehead » Sun June 2nd, 2013, 1:59 pm

SlashAndThrash: check yer PM's.
Last edited by Knucklehead on Sun June 2nd, 2013, 2:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Knucklehead

Post by Knucklehead » Sun June 2nd, 2013, 2:15 pm

SlashAndThrash wrote:This is just my opinion, so no one get pissed. Our collective scene is not yet strong, unified, accomplished, or known enough to warrant flaunting it with patches.
Why would I possibly pissed at you for expressing a legitimate opinion? I'm not sure I agree with it, but the whole point of this thread was to foster a discussion.

I don't think Sam and Bob wouldn't be doing what they were doing, and Stewart wouldn't have given a shout-out in a zine of international distribution, if the scene weren't strong. This the most active local metal forum in the nation, as best I can tell. So it seem like we're pretty unified.

Is that the idea is too self-promoting? I'm not suggesting anything like an MC chapter cut. Just a little round patch.

And yes, I was completely serious when I posed the question. It is something a few of us discussed at MDF. Admittedly, over beers. But I am curious what others think.

Thrashmania

Post by Thrashmania » Sun June 2nd, 2013, 3:00 pm

As long as it never ever evolves into having monthly/yearly dues, and mandatory 'club' meetings. :P

We can steer clear of the 1%ers.

I reiterate. LETS DRINK BEER AND LISTEN TO METAL!

theRothstanator

Post by theRothstanator » Mon June 3rd, 2013, 3:52 pm

Knucklehead wrote:
SlashAndThrash wrote:This is just my opinion, so no one get pissed. Our collective scene is not yet strong, unified, accomplished, or known enough to warrant flaunting it with patches.
Why would I possibly pissed at you for expressing a legitimate opinion? I'm not sure I agree with it, but the whole point of this thread was to foster a discussion.

I don't think Sam and Bob wouldn't be doing what they were doing, and Stewart wouldn't have given a shout-out in a zine of international distribution, if the scene weren't strong. This the most active local metal forum in the nation, as best I can tell. So it seem like we're pretty unified.

Is that the idea is too self-promoting? I'm not suggesting anything like an MC chapter cut. Just a little round patch.

And yes, I was completely serious when I posed the question. It is something a few of us discussed at MDF. Admittedly, over beers. But I am curious what others think.
I just assumed it would be a patch that a few of us would wear- like I am assuming no one is gonna make money off of it or make a zillion of them so I am assuming that the crowd of people that are always around might have one.

Also, I am thinking that for the patches/buttons, the more simple the better.
"Other than shame and guilt I am fine." - Melkor