Atlanta guide april & may

open forum for any and all conversations

Moderators: Brian, Metalfreak, MS_39455, AtlantaMetal Staff

Tomhet

Atlanta guide april & may

Post by Tomhet » Tue February 18th, 2014, 6:23 am

Hi everyone!

My name is Jonathan, I'm from Germany, and a new member in this board. Starting on april the 1st, I am going to do an internship in Alpharetta/Atlanta for more than 8 weeks.
It is some kind of foundation who gives me the chance to work in the USA to gain my english skills and work experience in foreign countries.

Of course I do not want to work night & day, so I hope to meet some folks who can show me sites for a metalhead in and around Atlanta.

I've been playing the drums for over 15 years now, and am experienced in extreme, escpecially Black Metal - so it would be awesome if someone wants to jam a bit, regardless of style! 8)

Secondly I really love hiking, and hope to find some good places and trails, and maybe an experienced guide, too.

I'll post something in this introduction thread here this week, when I have the time.

Only six weeks to go.. :D
Regards Johnny
Last edited by Tomhet on Tue February 18th, 2014, 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thrashmania

Post by Thrashmania » Tue February 18th, 2014, 9:05 am

The Highlander down in Atlanta is our regular bar. This website has a list of shows (as well as the 'concerts' section on this forum) http://wrekage.org/events.php doesn't look like too much is going on during your stay, but check there is still some time for stuff to be put together/announced. Plenty of hiking north of Alpharetta in the north GA hills, or you could go to Sweetwater Creek too. Are you going to be able to drive?

Tomhet

Post by Tomhet » Tue February 18th, 2014, 11:08 am

well, I would be allowed to drive - after these two months I will spent 3 more weeks in the Southwest. I already rented a car there - and it's the most expensive part of the whole trip..

So out of a lack of money I havn't planned to book one in Atlanta, and I don't think that my host company is going to give me one for free.

I already found some nice places in the internet, the chattahoochee national forest, for example - but it is not really close. The sweetwater creek looks really nice too.

That leads to the issue of getting around - hows the public transport in and especially around atlanta?

Knucklehead

Post by Knucklehead » Tue February 18th, 2014, 12:00 pm

Welcome! If you can find a way to get to downtown, I'm sure your stay will not be metal-free.
Thrashmania wrote:doesn't look like too much is going on during your stay
I would say that is incorrect:

4/14 Nile
4/21 Fucking Midnight at a small club
4/23 Iced Earth (If you're into that kind of thing)
Tomhet wrote:hows the public transport in and especially around atlanta?
I'm not even going to lie -- it sucks.

MS_39455
AtlantaMetal Staff

Post by MS_39455 » Tue February 18th, 2014, 12:20 pm

Tomhet wrote:well, I would be allowed to drive - after these two months I will spent 3 more weeks in the Southwest. I already rented a car there - and it's the most expensive part of the whole trip..

So out of a lack of money I havn't planned to book one in Atlanta, and I don't think that my host company is going to give me one for free.

I already found some nice places in the internet, the chattahoochee national forest, for example - but it is not really close. The sweetwater creek looks really nice too.

That leads to the issue of getting around - hows the public transport in and especially around atlanta?
Unfortunately, Atlanta's public transportation is very limited considering the city's size. The train is usually reliable, but it feels like bus times vary wildly the farther from the city center you are. If you're going to be based in Alpharetta, I don't know how much use the MARTA public transportation will be to you.

I'll second the Highlander recommendation as well. You'll run into a few long-hairs on most any Friday or Saturday night. There are a few good bars and restaurants in the East Atlanta Village as well if you find yourself in the city.

There are lots of really great state parks in the northern part of the state all with excellent hiking and backcountry areas. Sweetwater Creek State Park may be one of the few that doesn't allow camping of any kind, but it's probably the closest to the city and has plenty of good trails and excellent fishing in the Spring especially. Red Top Mountain State Park would be closer to you in Alpharetta.

Knucklehead

Post by Knucklehead » Tue February 18th, 2014, 1:15 pm

MS_39455 wrote:There are lots of really great state parks in the northern part of the state all with excellent hiking and backcountry areas.
I was just at Cloudland Canyon this past weekend. I love that place.

They have yurts for rent. The yurts sleep six. Wereally should get a bunch of guys together for a metal camping weekend.

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Tue February 18th, 2014, 2:20 pm

Knucklehead wrote:
MS_39455 wrote:There are lots of really great state parks in the northern part of the state all with excellent hiking and backcountry areas.

They have yurts for rent. The yurts sleep six. Wereally should get a bunch of guys together for a metal camping weekend.
I would be interested in participating in said weekend.
<a href="http://spewtilator.bandcamp.com">SPEWTILATOR</a> - Badass motherfuckin' street cops with nothing to lose who don't play by the rules and are out for blood.
Tricalibur wrote:I am looking for Skullcrusher and Dynamo.

Kaganator

Post by Kaganator » Tue February 18th, 2014, 4:27 pm

Mutilation Rites on Friday, 21 Feb @ Drunken Unicorn.
Good USBM.

Tomhet

Post by Tomhet » Wed February 19th, 2014, 1:45 am

Knucklehead wrote:
MS_39455 wrote:
There are lots of really great state parks in the northern part of the state all with excellent hiking and backcountry areas.

That would be fucking awesome - as long as the "new guy" is welcome! :twisted:
Cloudland canyon looks really beautiful.

Thanks for all the replies so far, well sadly mutilation rites plays too early - my plane arrives on the 1st of April, but I'm sure there will be anything during my stay in such a big city. Probably Nile or Iced Earth.

There's just one confession I have to make - unfortunatly your country has some curious laws, which I am not really used to.
In Germany we drink (legally..) beer as soon as we turn 16 yrs - now I'll turn 20 during my stay and so I think I'll have to stay sober, at least I guess I won't be served (and am even not allowed to step in the highlander?!).

Moloc

Post by Moloc » Wed February 19th, 2014, 8:16 am

Willkomen in Atlanta. Jack's Pizza is also a metalhead hang out. I think you can legally get in there. That's a place frequented by metal folk often, usually after a show.

Enjoy your stay.

Thrashmania

Post by Thrashmania » Wed February 19th, 2014, 8:46 am

You'd be correct. No Highlander or Midnight show for you. The good ole U.S. of A. Seems fit to allow our boys to go to war but not to buy a beer before the age of 21.

Tomhet

Post by Tomhet » Wed February 19th, 2014, 8:52 am

I'll just restrain my opinion on that - but I'm allowed to walk outside after 8 pm without my parents, am I? :lol:

Knucklehead

Post by Knucklehead » Wed February 19th, 2014, 10:27 am

Tomhet wrote:but I'm allowed to walk outside after 8 pm without my parents, am I? :lol:
Well, now that you mention it...

SadisticRitual

Post by SadisticRitual » Wed February 19th, 2014, 1:44 pm

Sick local scene here in Atl. If you like black metal you'll dig Hellgoat and Vimur. More sick death and thrash bands such as Mangled, Disfigurement, Sadistic Ritual, Cesspool, Living Decay are worth checking out also. Here are some shows coming up I don't think we're mentioned

March 17th @ the Drunken Unicorn- Obliteration, Mangled, Disfigurement, Paradox
March 23rd @ The Earl- Power Trip, Sadistic Ritual, Hellgoat, Criminal Instinct

Thrashmania

Post by Thrashmania » Wed February 19th, 2014, 2:28 pm

Does no one see the point he made twice about not coming in until April 1st? Or am I dummy and this is the most elaborate Aprils Fools Day ever! :P