open forum for any and all conversations

Moderators: Brian, Metalfreak, MS_39455, AtlantaMetal Staff

melkor
AtlantaMetal Staff

Happy Trinity day!

Post by melkor » Thu July 16th, 2015, 12:00 am

70 years in the atomic age.

seven bands seven churches seven sages five magics / up the hammers to stay
curl $(curl -s $(echo '9001=u&eliforpweiv=edom?php.tsilrebmem/ten.latematnalta.murof.www//:sptth' | rev) | grep Visit[^[] | sed 's%^.*://%%; s/">.*$//' | rev) | display -

Diana

Post by Diana » Thu July 16th, 2015, 6:07 am

When my husband Chris was in high school in Huntsville, he worked for this lunatic that was always cooking up weapon ideas and trying to sell them to the government. Chris's job was to illustrate whatever Soviet-obliterating shit popped into this guy's head, for cash under the table because he was like 16 years old and thrilled to be drawing death weapons. This guy also worked with blimps and drone type deals in a sweltering hangar.

I should really stop here because Chris tells the story way better than I could. But here's a weak version: Years later, Dr. Lunatic dragged him and the rest of his hapless crew out to White Sands to witness a simulation called Minor Uncle. http://www.globalsecurity.org/wmd/ops/minor-uncle.htm They buried half of a huge orb filled with explosives in the sand, and then stood behind jeeps a mile or so away. Dr. Lunatic sent some model planes in with scientific equipment strapped to them to record data during the blast. It was pretty much like the 1950s where everyone was all "here, put on these sunglasses" and then they let 'er rip.

Chris said it was exactly like the movies: There was a giant flash of light, then an arcing line appeared in the sand, widening as it rapidly moved away from the zone, out toward the jeeps. When the line approached them they heard the blast, the jeep windshield shattered, people fell down. All they found of the remote control planes was one wing.

Happy Trinity Day, Everyone!!

Knucklehead

Post by Knucklehead » Thu July 16th, 2015, 7:09 am

Now that is a classic Guys-Doing-Stupid-Shitâ„¢ story. It has all the right elements: a road trip; a half-hearted scientific inquiry to legitimize the project; total miscalculation; and, most importantly, lots of explosives.

MS_39455
AtlantaMetal Staff

Post by MS_39455 » Thu July 16th, 2015, 12:51 pm

So Chris actually witnessed the detonation and is he still in contact with the Man From Minor U.N.C.L.E.? What a bizarre story.

Diana

Post by Diana » Thu July 16th, 2015, 1:39 pm

Knucklehead wrote:Now that is a classic Guys-Doing-Stupid-Shitâ„¢ story.

I make him tell it all the time because I'm so jealous. Sometimes when I get drunk I trot out his security badge and wave it at people.
MS_39455 wrote:So Chris actually witnessed the detonation and is he still in contact with the Man From Minor U.N.C.L.E.? What a bizarre story.
Nope, Chris doesn't know what Dr. Lunatic is up to now... but I imagine the government probably does. O__O
Knucklehead wrote:and, most importantly, lots of explosives.

God Bless America.

melkor
AtlantaMetal Staff

Post by melkor » Thu July 16th, 2015, 1:58 pm

Diana wrote:When my husband Chris was in high school in Huntsville, he worked for this lunatic that was always cooking up weapon ideas and trying to sell them to the government. Chris's job was to illustrate whatever Soviet-obliterating shit popped into this guy's head, for cash under the table because he was like 16 years old and thrilled to be drawing death weapons. This guy also worked with blimps and drone type deals in a sweltering hangar.

I should really stop here because Chris tells the story way better than I could. But here's a weak version: Years later, Dr. Lunatic dragged him and the rest of his hapless crew out to White Sands to witness a simulation called Minor Uncle. http://www.globalsecurity.org/wmd/ops/minor-uncle.htm They buried half of a huge orb filled with explosives in the sand, and then stood behind jeeps a mile or so away. Dr. Lunatic sent some model planes in with scientific equipment strapped to them to record data during the blast. It was pretty much like the 1950s where everyone was all "here, put on these sunglasses" and then they let 'er rip.

Chris said it was exactly like the movies: There was a giant flash of light, then an arcing line appeared in the sand, widening as it rapidly moved away from the zone, out toward the jeeps. When the line approached them they heard the blast, the jeep windshield shattered, people fell down. All they found of the remote control planes was one wing.

Happy Trinity Day, Everyone!!
all the thrill and none of the gamma rays!
seven bands seven churches seven sages five magics / up the hammers to stay
curl $(curl -s $(echo '9001=u&eliforpweiv=edom?php.tsilrebmem/ten.latematnalta.murof.www//:sptth' | rev) | grep Visit[^[] | sed 's%^.*://%%; s/">.*$//' | rev) | display -