The Masquerade

open forum for any and all conversations

Moderators: Brian, Metalfreak, MS_39455, AtlantaMetal Staff

Knucklehead

Post by Knucklehead » Thu May 5th, 2016, 7:36 am

zla vydra wrote:
Knucklehead wrote:I know a lot of people don't like the structure, the sound, or the management, but it has been integral to my music experience in Atlanta. I've seen a ton of great shows there and I'll personally be sad to see it go.

The same thing happened to the Club 930 in D.C. It was a little hole in the way in downtown, and then moved out to the Burbs. A lot of history got left behind when it moved.

And, of course, CBGB. I don't even recognize that neighborhood, now.

The Masquerade may not have had the national import that those two clubs did, but it occupies the same local status, I think.
Agreed. You might have the 9:30 Club mixed up with another venue. In the 80s, I believe it was downtown, but moved to a bigger location in NE DC (U Street or V Street, I think) before I moved there (1996). I saw a bunch of shows there from 1996 to 1998, and I think it's still in the same place - definitely not the suburbs.
I lived in DC briefly in '95 and it was still on F Street. My world was very small and U Street seemed like the suburbs.

I saw a bunch of shows there, none of them metal, but being in the same physical room where Minor Threat and Black Flag and Bad Brains all played when they were getting started definitely added to the mystique of the evening.

Metalfreak

Post by Metalfreak » Fri May 13th, 2016, 12:39 am

Knucklehead wrote:I know a lot of people don't like the structure, the sound, or the management, but it has been integral to my music experience in Atlanta. I've seen a ton of great shows there and I'll personally be sad to see it go.
ditto. I've seen countless shows there. I first started going to shows there when I was 15 or 16. Despite its flaws, I'll definitely miss that place. I love the building itself and the concept of having 3 stages on separate levels. I saw a few bigger shows on the lawn out back and those were fun too. Lots of memories, that's for sure!
They had you do a drug test and the forgot to test for drugs???

Moloc

Post by Moloc » Fri May 13th, 2016, 6:53 am

The girl behind the bar said it will still have 3 levels in a similar layout--the same Heaven, Purgatory and Hell.

There will also be a Bondage & Discipline Room!

Diana

Post by Diana » Fri May 13th, 2016, 7:52 am

Moloc wrote:There will also be a Bondage & Discipline Room!
So it will be like the Masquerade + the Chamber (R.I.P.)? Excellent news.

Moloc

Post by Moloc » Fri May 13th, 2016, 9:44 am

Diana wrote:
I was only joking about the bondage room actually. Sorry to disappoint.

Diana

Post by Diana » Fri May 13th, 2016, 2:02 pm

Moloc wrote:
Diana wrote:
I was only joking about the bondage room actually. Sorry to disappoint.
NO IT'S OKAY THERE'S STILL TIME!!

What I really want to know is are they transplanting the ladies room sinks that have been jacked up since roughly 1997? I'm gonna miss those. They're like a comforting blankie. :cry:

MS_39455
AtlantaMetal Staff

Post by MS_39455 » Wed June 22nd, 2016, 11:57 am

Thought this was interesting. Been kind of an odd no man's land back there of fine art framing and transmission shops for years.

http://atlanta.curbed.com/2016/6/22/120 ... masquerade

zekeyou

Post by zekeyou » Fri June 24th, 2016, 5:14 am

MS_39455 wrote:Thought this was interesting. Been kind of an odd no man's land back there of fine art framing and transmission shops for years.

http://atlanta.curbed.com/2016/6/22/120 ... masquerade
Should be interesting. I'm sure that area will be developing heavily in the coming years.

Looks like about a 10 minute drive from Center Stage.

elatihc

Post by elatihc » Fri June 24th, 2016, 9:05 am

Just got an email too about their move after the Wrecking Ball in August.
The midtown location is a bit easier to get to if you are coming from the north or Marietta especially..

Moloc

Post by Moloc » Mon July 18th, 2016, 9:46 am

Is there going to be decent parking there goddammit!?

Diana

Post by Diana » Thu August 11th, 2016, 8:23 am

I am genuinely sad about the Masquerade. It's been a big part of my life since I moved here 26 years ago. But I'm not paying $110 just to see Gorilla Biscuits, so I guess my Final Show was....whatever that last show was.

Remember when they used to serve breakfast at like 2 am? You'd just be dancing minding your own business, and out would come chafing dishes full of eggs and sausage. I would always think "who the fuck is going to eat eggs here??"

And we could get in with our student IDs. Those were the days. I got my 15 year old sister in with my roommate's ID. "Fix your hair like the photo." Done.

RIP, Masq. I will miss your wet floors.

MS_39455
AtlantaMetal Staff

Post by MS_39455 » Thu August 11th, 2016, 8:42 am

Diana wrote:I am genuinely sad about the Masquerade. It's been a big part of my life since I moved here 26 years ago. But I'm not paying $110 just to see Gorilla Biscuits, so I guess my Final Show was....whatever that last show was.

Remember when they used to serve breakfast at like 2 am? You'd just be dancing minding your own business, and out would come chafing dishes full of eggs and sausage. I would always think "who the fuck is going to eat eggs here??"

And we could get in with our student IDs. Those were the days. I got my 15 year old sister in with my roommate's ID. "Fix your hair like the photo." Done.

RIP, Masq. I will miss your wet floors.
Coworker of mine got a half off ticket through Groupon. I'm counting on a few Excelsior Mill ghosts being awakened from their slumber by these developers.

Diana

Post by Diana » Fri August 12th, 2016, 6:12 am

MS_39455 wrote:Coworker of mine got a half off ticket through Groupon.
Yeah, I just got an email with a half-price deal. So if I HAD paid $110, I would be really pissed right now. I guess tickets aren't flying out the door?

melkor
AtlantaMetal Staff

Post by melkor » Tue August 23rd, 2016, 6:03 pm

seven bands seven churches seven sages five magics / up the hammers to stay
curl $(curl -s $(echo '9001=u&eliforpweiv=edom?php.tsilrebmem/ten.latematnalta.murof.www//:sptth' | rev) | grep Visit[^[] | sed 's%^.*://%%; s/">.*$//' | rev) | display -

Diana

Post by Diana » Wed August 24th, 2016, 2:08 pm

melkor wrote:The Homebuyer Strikes Back

http://www.dailyreportonline.com/id=120 ... 0723185922
"Anticipatory nuisance." That sounds about right.