EMERGENZA FESTIVAL - DON'T FALL FOR IT!!!

open forum for any and all conversations

Moderators: Brian, Metalfreak, MS_39455, AtlantaMetal Staff

Dark One

EMERGENZA FESTIVAL - DON'T FALL FOR IT!!!

Post by Dark One » Thu September 8th, 2005, 9:47 am

The EMERGENZA FESTIVAL coordinators are at it AGAIN trying to round up as many suckers, I mean, bands to participate in this year's Festival.

I went through the experience last year, and 5BD wound up pulling out of the competition before we ever played. Basically, we were not willing to compromise the integrity of our band, or our fans by giving them anything less that the best show we could, and we just wouldn't have been able to do that by participating in this "International Competition".

Basically, each band is required to put up a $70 "entry fee" to help the "cover advertising expenses". That doesn't sound to bad for bands that are looking for exposure, and if they say your name on the radio it may be worth it right? After all they have a sweet website with tons of sponsors and the winner of the competition gets a ton of cool stuff right?

The first round of competition puts 8 bands of all different styles on a stage with a provided backline. This is where we had a problem. Our sound can not be duplicated by CRATE Blue VooDoo half stacks, and a Mid-level Mapex drum set, just not going to happen.

That and the fact that they want the bands to ask their fans to shell out $10 to see them perform for 4 songs! The way the bands advance to the next round is by a 'Show of hands' after their sets, so the only way to advance is to have your fans attend the show. During the second round the fans are asked to pay $15 admission to send 1 band out of 8 to the next round after that. The bands are still playing for free, and are actually still -$70. The festival makes FAT CASH hand-over-fist!!!

Bottom line is that these "Battle of the Bands" competitions, are detrimental to the scene, the fans, and the scene as a whole and should not be supported. This one takes place in 150 different cities where there are tons of bands hungry for a "Big Break". With 100 bands eagerly participating in each of the 150 cities, do the math and figure out who the big winners are...

No disrespect to any of the bands that participated, or who will participate this year, but as someone who went through the experience, I consider it a lesson learned, and will not be making the same mistake again.

Dark One

Post by Dark One » Fri September 9th, 2005, 3:16 pm

I just saw this post on another board from an up and coming band in Orlando. I thought it was a great reply, and wanted to post it for everyone who might think that I'm just hating on Emergenza, or out to give them a bad name. Honestly, I'm just posting about this as a "Public Service Announcement" to all the new bands out there who may consider participating this year. As G.I.JOE says "Knowing is half the battle!"

===

"Matt, you are absolutely right. This Festival is a crock. From the very beginning they set you up with promoters who are woefully unpepared, have no answers to your questions, and are to busy counting the HUNDREDS of dollars you shell over to them. THe Bands still starve.

At our first show last year, My band Amnesty sold 41 tickets. Mysteriously, when it came to vote counting time,(which is a ridiculous scherade where the promoter stands on the stage with a hand counter, looks into the DARK audience, eying them over for about 10 seconds, and then comes up with a random number) WE GOT 41 VOTES!!! If you think about it, this insures that only the bands with a high fan base will make it to the second round. They can make way more money with bands that drag in numbers than those who don't. When i talked to the other bands from the show, guess what.

SAME RESULT.

High fan base = high revenue

High Ticket Prices = angry fans

Last year the initial odds of winning are 1 in 15000 worldwide, plus you have to consider the Emergenza "School of Music" (insert Laughter here) who will judge your performance. Emergenza Grosses over 200 million dollars world wide each and every year from starving musicians. In my book, that is the definition of SCUM.

Just like Matt from 5BD said, Battle of the Bands competitions negitively effect the scene. I think all of us bands, especially in the Orlando Metal scene, are a family with a common goal. And just like a family we are willing to help each other out with a network of support. Hands down, you need this family to succeed.

Battle of the Bands fuels rivalry, instigates narcisism and inspires hatered between friends. The only people who make out on the deal are the promoters who set us against each other.

In the end I did learn from my experience with emergenza though. If someone tells you something that sounds to good to be true, and then asks for money, chances are, they should be drug out into the street and hung.

End of Story

Richard"