re-recordings

open forum for any and all conversations

Moderators: Brian, Metalfreak, MS_39455, AtlantaMetal Staff

melkor
AtlantaMetal Staff

re-recordings

Post by melkor » Sun November 1st, 2020, 7:56 pm

so yesterday I listened to the new mr. bungle recording which is a re-recording of their original demo plus some other stuff. then today I'm listening to a couple tracks from the upcoming rerecording of diamond head's lightning to the nations. there's a bit of discrepancy here. one is rooted a rather obscure demo from a band which quickly departed greatly from it. the other is rooted in an absolutely iconic (if still only vicariously iconic, truth be told) record. it's easy to imagine both instances of this nuclearblastization to be motivated by a capitalization of nostalgia among other things, but somehow one comes out more palatable than the other. funny how that works out.

anyway, wasn't looking to stand up a re-recording punching bag here, but maybe just look a little more in depth at this phenomenon and also see if there's anything actually considered worthwhile, or even significant. fwiw, I did have a good time with that mr. bungle re-recording, one reason being I hadn't actually heard the original before.
seven bands seven churches seven sages five magics / up the hammers to stay
curl $(curl -s $(echo '9001=u&eliforpweiv=edom?php.tsilrebmem/ten.latematnalta.murof.www//:sptth' | rev) | grep Visit[^[] | sed 's%^.*://%%; s/">.*$//' | rev) | display -

zla vydra

Re: re-recordings

Post by zla vydra » Mon November 2nd, 2020, 2:35 pm

melkor wrote:
Sun November 1st, 2020, 7:56 pm
so yesterday I listened to the new mr. bungle recording which is a re-recording of their original demo plus some other stuff. then today I'm listening to a couple tracks from the upcoming rerecording of diamond head's lightning to the nations. there's a bit of discrepancy here. one is rooted a rather obscure demo from a band which quickly departed greatly from it. the other is rooted in an absolutely iconic (if still only vicariously iconic, truth be told) record. it's easy to imagine both instances of this nuclearblastization to be motivated by a capitalization of nostalgia among other things, but somehow one comes out more palatable than the other. funny how that works out.

anyway, wasn't looking to stand up a re-recording punching bag here, but maybe just look a little more in depth at this phenomenon and also see if there's anything actually considered worthwhile, or even significant. fwiw, I did have a good time with that mr. bungle re-recording, one reason being I hadn't actually heard the original before.

I enjoyed Destruction's re-recordings, since it seemed to me that they stayed very true to the originals, but just spruced up the production, which is either "kvlt" or horrible, depending on your POV. This only applies to the first ones they did, since I haven't heard the more recent ones.

melkor
AtlantaMetal Staff

Post by melkor » Mon November 2nd, 2020, 4:39 pm

definitely kvlt but irreproducibly so
curl $(curl -s $(echo '9001=u&eliforpweiv=edom?php.tsilrebmem/ten.latematnalta.murof.www//:sptth' | rev) | grep Visit[^[] | sed 's%^.*://%%; s/">.*$//' | rev) | display -

MS_39455
AtlantaMetal Staff

Post by MS_39455 » Tue November 3rd, 2020, 1:49 pm

I can think of way more "why the fuck did they do that!?!" type situations than instances where I think a re-recording made any positive contribution to the history of a piece - demo quality or not. I'd ask the same question about Diamond Head without even hearing a note of the new recording. Why fuck with it after 40 years? Thought the same thing when Twisted Sister re-recorded Stay Hungry. Why? What was wrong with the one I listened to and fucking loved for 20 years prior to that? My list could go on and on: Dimmu Borgir Dummy Burgering the fuck out of Stormblast, Darkspace dancing the night away to Darkspace I a decade later, Bethlehem shitting out a trigger happy new version of S.U.i.Z.i.D with Niklas Kvarforth pissing all over the vocals, Exodus having Rob Dukes completely ruin Bonded By Blood... I could go on for a while.

I can think of just a few exceptions where I thought it was worthwhile. And almost all of those were brought about by the resolution of some kind of legal battle or studio mishap. Brian Wilson re-recording what would've been the Smile album comes to mind. Or even W.A.S.P. re-recording and essentially completing the label rushed Crimson Idol (Blackie's lyric changes are laughable though...Yaweh hates swearing, but is cool with racial slurs apparently). I'll add to these two if I can think of any others later, but it's a slim group in my opinion.
The Central Scrutinizer wrote:Ultimately, who gives a fuck anyway?

melkor
AtlantaMetal Staff

Post by melkor » Tue November 3rd, 2020, 5:58 pm

MS_39455 wrote:
Tue November 3rd, 2020, 1:49 pm
Twisted Sister re-recorded Stay Hungry. Why? What was wrong with the one I listened to and fucking loved for 20 years prior to that? My list could go on and on: Dimmu Borgir Dummy Burgering the fuck out of Stormblast, Darkspace dancing the night away to Darkspace I a decade later, Bethlehem shitting out a trigger happy new version of S.U.i.Z.i.D with Niklas Kvarforth pissing all over the vocals, Exodus having Rob Dukes completely ruin Bonded By Blood... I could go on for a while.
wow I had forgotten how shitty the re-recordings from the mid-2000s were. I think I had completely blocked that let there be blood record from my mind, thanks for reminding me.

Knucklehead

Post by Knucklehead » Thu November 5th, 2020, 4:26 pm

I generally have a policy against cover songs. And a band covering their own song (which is what a re-recording is, no?) doesn't meet the requirements of the policy.

melkor
AtlantaMetal Staff

Post by melkor » Thu November 5th, 2020, 6:24 pm

Knucklehead wrote:
Thu November 5th, 2020, 4:26 pm
I generally have a policy against cover songs. And a band covering their own song (which is what a re-recording is, no?) doesn't meet the requirements of the policy.
covers in general I'd put at 50/50. which puts them at around the same benchmark as originals, tbh.

I think the time between the original and the re-recording is of significance, too. if you have four demos within the span of a few years and they all share songs, that rings a bit more pure than re-hashing stuff from 20 years ago for the first time.

badcarburetor

Post by badcarburetor » Sat November 7th, 2020, 4:11 pm

I think the main reason bands re-record is so that they can use the new versions for product placement in games, movies, etc... In that case, I don't really care because it's going to be buried in a scene with a bunch of explosions or whatever and because I don't play games. Good on them for getting a bigger piece from a bad deal, I guess. The worst example I ever heard of this was Steven Tyler recording a bunch of Aerosmith songs solo so that he could license them. What a dirtbag, assuming this is true.

Sometimes, bands delusionally think that the fans are going to go buy the new version and they are going to make bank on it because they haven't signed everything away like they did when they were kids and made an iconic record. This usually backfires, like when Suicidal redid their first (and far and away best) album and the little bit I heard of it was straight crap.

Or bands claim that the sound was terrible back when and they want to update the sound with modern tech. The bands that do this seem to go for that hyper-compressed, triggered, sampled, blah, blah that just turns me off.

That terrible Exodus record really bummed me out because they claimed they did it honor Baloff, but I always wondered how his estate made up mechanical and performance royalties on a record he wasn't on. Also, it was just bad. Couldn't they have done a really nice re-release instead, maybe a remaster (not remix)? But, I guess I'm talking shit regardless because I'm not much of a fan of most expanded or otherwise spruced up re-releases. Give me one good LP on nice vinyl and I'm happy. Don't split it over two records. It just doesn't sound that much better and it takes up twice as much space. Still, going that route would seem to be more in keeping with what they were claiming they were doing.

TL/DR - Fuck re-recordings
"God created the devil? At least he did *something* cool." Homer J. Simpson

melkor
AtlantaMetal Staff

Post by melkor » Tue November 24th, 2020, 10:41 pm

diamond head covered "no remorse" and all I could think was "cannibal corpse did it better"

zla vydra

Post by zla vydra » Wed November 25th, 2020, 9:31 am

melkor wrote:
Tue November 24th, 2020, 10:41 pm
diamond head covered "no remorse" and all I could think was "cannibal corpse did it better"
It will be a sad day when you can say about any cover version, "Six Feet Under did it better..."

badcarburetor

Post by badcarburetor » Thu December 3rd, 2020, 4:16 pm

I liked the first single off the new SFU enough to preorder the album. Though, I'd never felt much for them before, I really dug that "Amputator" song. Then I heard the second single and cancelled my preorder. Pretty sure that keeps the number of SFU releases in my collection at a solid zero.
"God created the devil? At least he did *something* cool." Homer J. Simpson

melkor
AtlantaMetal Staff

Post by melkor » Thu December 3rd, 2020, 4:49 pm

badcarburetor wrote:
Thu December 3rd, 2020, 4:16 pm
Then I heard the second single and cancelled my preorder.
:lol: :lol: :lol: