BLIND GUARDIAN @ Masq 12/19

post your opinions about shows. A full event calendar is available.

Moderators: Brian, Metalfreak, MS_39455, AtlantaMetal Staff

Metalfreak

Post by Metalfreak » Mon December 20th, 2010, 12:24 am

I went to this. I had no intentions on spending $25 but I somehow had money to waste and time to spare! Lol

It was a good show though. The first band wasn't bad, the second band was horrible and Blind Guardian was fun. I don't own any of their material but I liked what I heard at least. It was fun watching them. They weren't uber cheesy so that was definitely a plus!

It was awesome seeing some of you folks too :P
They had you do a drug test and the forgot to test for drugs???

BlackRoija
WREKage Staff

Post by BlackRoija » Mon December 20th, 2010, 1:11 am

The setlist and sound from the 2006 show was waaaaay better. First opener had me in stitches at how lame they were. Holy Grail were one of those bands trying to bring back the 80s USPM sound without quite understanding what made those bands good in the first place.

The Masquerade really didn't do justice to BG's sound. God forbid they ever play that venue again. The top floor should just collapse and we can be rid of that place already.

Matt

Post by Matt » Mon December 20th, 2010, 1:26 am

i dont like the masquerade very much, but if not for that venue even more tours would skip atlanta. that shithole brings a lot of music that has nowhere else to play. obviously blind guardian cant play at lennys for example.
your church was turned into an abortion clinic and we use it all the time... sluts!!!

DrkLrdViper666

Post by DrkLrdViper666 » Tue December 21st, 2010, 7:36 am

Metalfreak wrote:I went to this. I had no intentions on spending $25 but I somehow had money to waste and time to spare! Lol

It was a good show though. The first band wasn't bad, the second band was horrible and Blind Guardian was fun. I don't own any of their material but I liked what I heard at least. It was fun watching them. They weren't uber cheesy so that was definitely a plus!

It was awesome seeing some of you folks too :P
It was GREAT seeing you too amanda!!!
I still CANNOT get that weird, hilarious, animated, head bobbing, muppet
guy out of my head!!! lmfao :lol:
That dude totally made my night!!!
That shit was hilarious!!!
The Dark Lord Of All Things Metal
& Lead Singer/Frontman www.I_LOVE_ZUCKERPENIS.com/jimi.newton.9
www.myspace.com/darkevillordviper666

DrkLrdViper666

Post by DrkLrdViper666 » Tue December 21st, 2010, 7:42 am

BlackRoija wrote:The setlist and sound from the 2006 show was waaaaay better. First opener had me in stitches at how lame they were. Holy Grail were one of those bands trying to bring back the 80s USPM sound without quite understanding what made those bands good in the first place.

The Masquerade really didn't do justice to BG's sound. God forbid they ever play that venue again. The top floor should just collapse and we can be rid of that place already.
Yep, dude I totally agree w/ you on that!
I SERIOUSLY DETEST & HATE THE MASQUERADE w/ a fuckin purple
passion!!! :evil:
Yep, they should've played The Tabernacle or Center Stage!
From that MASSIVE crowd sunday night, they could've EASILY sold out
either venue imho!!! :(
But alas, tis true so many shows & great Metal bands would skip us
altogether if not for that shithole unfortunately!!!
The Dark Lord Of All Things Metal
& Lead Singer/Frontman www.I_LOVE_ZUCKERPENIS.com/jimi.newton.9
www.myspace.com/darkevillordviper666

ratanda
AtlantaMetal Staff

Post by ratanda » Tue December 21st, 2010, 11:34 am

Setlist was decent I guess. Some other cities got songs I would have much much rather heard. Imaginations From The Other Side, Time What Is Time, Traveller In Time. Man.... Now those songs would have been awesome.

All in all it was a good show. The Bard's Song singalong was a lot of fun. Made it worth it to stand through 20 minutes of songs I didn't care about.

I really liked Seven Kingdoms but I hated Holy Grail.

DrkLrdViper666 wrote:Yep, they should've played The Tabernacle or Center Stage!
From that MASSIVE crowd sunday night, they could've EASILY sold out
either venue imho!!! :(
If that same crowd was in the Tabernacle it'd take up only like a little more than half the space. Same for Center Stage I'd imagine.

BlackRoija
WREKage Staff

Post by BlackRoija » Tue December 21st, 2010, 6:10 pm

ratanda wrote:Same for Center Stage I'd imagine.
Seeing how Helloween/Gamma Ray filled Center Stage and BG is easily more popular than they are (as well as Center Stage's capacity not being too much more than the masq's) I can't feel the same way. I think they got gypped.

Brian
WREKage Staff

Post by Brian » Tue December 21st, 2010, 7:58 pm

BlackRoija wrote:
ratanda wrote:Same for Center Stage I'd imagine.
Seeing how Helloween/Gamma Ray filled Center Stage and BG is easily more popular than they are (as well as Center Stage's capacity not being too much more than the masq's) I can't feel the same way. I think they got gypped.
That was because it was the ProgPower pre show so half the crowd was people who had flown into Atlanta for the show. BG didn't even sell out the Masq.

WREKage-Paul
WREKage Staff

Post by WREKage-Paul » Wed December 22nd, 2010, 1:24 am

Exactly. That crowd would have bounced around like a pea in a dryer if that show had been held at the Tabernacle.

While the Masquerade DOES have its flaws and they'd really LIKE to move to a new place (and weren't allowed to), it is THE venue in this town for sizeable-but-not-huge metal tours.
No Masquerade would = much fewer tours here.

Dan, I kinda felt the same way. I didn't hate Holy Grail but they weren't too impressive. Seven Kingdoms were MUCH better on this tour than when I saw them in Villa Rica, particularly Sabrina's voice, and since they had a better crowd reaction than Holy Grail, I'd say their buy-on for the tour has been pretty successful.
Community host for WREKage
www.wrekage.org
Friday night, midnight 'til we get tired, 91.1 FM