Iron Maiden 'Final Frontier' North American Tour...

post your opinions about shows. A full event calendar is available.

Moderators: Brian, Metalfreak, MS_39455, AtlantaMetal Staff

Azrael

Post by Azrael » Mon June 14th, 2010, 7:08 pm

Okay, well. Iron Maiden was great, beacause it's Iron Maiden but some things must be noted. They opened with 2 songs I was unfamiliar with, along with most of the crowd. Then Wraithchild, then like 8 more that were not great songs. I thought I was more familiar with their discography. Out of 15 songs only 6 were from really great albums. Finally at the end they played Iron Maiden, Running Free, Number of the Beast, Hallowed Be Thy Name and Fear of the Dark, and those songs ripped. They performed extremely well and Dickinson sounded great. No songs from Powerslave or Piece of Mind. There was a few I did'nt mind hearing from A Matter of Life and Death. It was'nt a very well balanced set, and the venue was pretty quite. Tommy and I could speak to each other with relative ease while they were playing. It did rule though, Iron fucking Maiden. I want to see them again, they need to come to Atlanta. A friend of mine told me today that the last time they played Atlanta was 1992 with C.O.C. and Testament, can anyone verify?

Also, note that I went to work at 6pm Thursday evening, worked until 4am Friday morning. Met Tommy and we drove 14 hours to Houston, watched Maiden and drove back to his parents in Mississippi. All in all, it took us 29 hours to get there, see maiden then get to beds, after a shift of work. Heavy fucking metal.

At Tommy parents the were some most metal moments of note as well including: The shooting of 9mm and .357 Magnum pistols, and 12ga and 4570 short barrel rifle (this thing was a killer, could have easily killed a wild boar), the destruction and burning of items with an axe and hatchet and the roasting of flesh over the charcoals of once massive bonfire.

lsaldana

Post by lsaldana » Tue June 15th, 2010, 3:35 pm

Azrael wrote: At Tommy parents the were some most metal moments of note as well
Tommy has parents!?

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Tue June 15th, 2010, 4:14 pm

lsaldana wrote:
Tommy has parents!?
Yeah, I thought he descended from Valhalla with the metal gods.
Diana wrote: God damn fuckin shit
The Crawling Chaos

VOEGTLIN

Post by VOEGTLIN » Tue June 15th, 2010, 5:24 pm

Azrael wrote:Okay, well. Iron Maiden was great, beacause it's Iron Maiden but some things must be noted. They opened with 2 songs I was unfamiliar with, along with most of the crowd. Then Wraithchild, then like 8 more that were not great songs. I thought I was more familiar with their discography. Out of 15 songs only 6 were from really great albums.
Yeah, this is their new "Modern Maiden" stance on setlists. Personally, I could give a flying fuck about anything post-Powerslave, so there's no way in hell I'm paying to see a show that doesn't acknowledge their classic material.

Those "banging" to anything post-Powerslave have got some aesthetic criteria that need alterin'. Yes, and Seventh Son... sucks too. Sorry.
Chaos wrote: hell satan
ScreamBloodyGore wrote:Not many people know this, but other bands play, Manowar kills.

lsaldana

Post by lsaldana » Tue June 15th, 2010, 5:50 pm

Nyarlathotep wrote:
lsaldana wrote:
Tommy has parents!?
Yeah, I thought he descended from Valhalla with the metal gods.
yeah, at least that's what wikipedia said.

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Tue June 15th, 2010, 5:52 pm

VOEGTLIN wrote:Yes, and Seventh Son... sucks too. Sorry.
That's when I stopped listening.
Diana wrote: God damn fuckin shit
The Crawling Chaos

Knucklehead

Post by Knucklehead » Tue June 15th, 2010, 6:21 pm

VOEGTLIN wrote:Personally, I could give a flying fuck about anything post-Powerslave, so there's no way in hell I'm paying to see a show that doesn't acknowledge their classic material.

Those "banging" to anything post-Powerslave have got some aesthetic criteria that need alterin'. Yes, and Seventh Son... sucks too. Sorry.
We're on the same page here, chief. I first saw Maiden way back in the day and they were kind enough to record a couple of shows on that tour, so that I could relive it ad infinitum. I just don't see how any contemporary show could live up to that.

And who is that extra guy, anyway?

(*puts teeth in the glass for cleanin' overnight*)

V-GER

Post by V-GER » Tue June 15th, 2010, 7:27 pm

I also agree! When I saw the setlist I was like, I don't know any of these songs. I heard Dance Of Death and it sucks. Fear Of The Dark I don't really like either. Why go to this? I also cannot stand Jannick Gers. What a horrible guitar player and useless member as far as I am concerned. I really hate when musicians get all acrobatic twirling and swinging their guitars around, jumping about in posers like he belongs in Unearth or some other shit band. Bunch of crap I say!
P.S. the new song El Dorado isn't all that bad but if you look at the songs lengths, they are all about 6 to 9 minutes long, ughhh!

VOEGTLIN

Post by VOEGTLIN » Wed June 16th, 2010, 6:50 am

V-GER wrote:[ I also cannot stand Jannick Gers. What a horrible guitar player and useless member as far as I am concerned.
Hear Hear! You have Dave Fucking Murray and Adrian Smith. What else do you fucking NEED?! That's like Judas Priest adding an axeman on tour...
Chaos wrote: hell satan
ScreamBloodyGore wrote:Not many people know this, but other bands play, Manowar kills.

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Wed June 16th, 2010, 9:26 am

Janick was brought in when Adrian wimped out and was in the band for nearly a decade before Smith decided it was worth his time again. Would have been a pretty dick move to just kick him out.
<a href="http://spewtilator.bandcamp.com">SPEWTILATOR</a> - Badass motherfuckin' street cops with nothing to lose who don't play by the rules and are out for blood.
Tricalibur wrote:I am looking for Skullcrusher and Dynamo.

MS_39455
AtlantaMetal Staff

Post by MS_39455 » Wed June 16th, 2010, 11:28 am

Huh, yes I too am mostly mortal. Maiden was totally worth the drive for a first timer like me. They're pushing a new album, so it was about what I expected. Lots and lots and lots of beer, furious headbanging, and general frightening of the throngs of average joe concert goers made up for the first half of the show. Totally righteous weekend.

Azrael

Post by Azrael » Wed June 16th, 2010, 2:03 pm

MS_39455 wrote:Huh, yes I too am mostly mortal. Maiden was totally worth the drive for a first timer like me. They're pushing a new album, so it was about what I expected. Lots and lots and lots of beer, furious headbanging, and general frightening of the throngs of average joe concert goers made up for the first half of the show. Totally righteous weekend.
Most certainly bro!!! It was a killer weekend.

V-GER

Post by V-GER » Wed June 16th, 2010, 5:21 pm

Any gig would be great with beer and Tommy!

ratanda
AtlantaMetal Staff

Post by ratanda » Thu June 17th, 2010, 3:44 pm

V-GER wrote:I also agree! When I saw the setlist I was like, I don't know any of these songs. I heard Dance Of Death and it sucks. Fear Of The Dark I don't really like either. Why go to this?
That's why I saw them on the Somewhere Back In Time tour in 2008! NO songs after Seventh Son!!!

V-GER

Post by V-GER » Thu June 17th, 2010, 9:52 pm

ratanda wrote:
V-GER wrote:I also agree! When I saw the setlist I was like, I don't know any of these songs. I heard Dance Of Death and it sucks. Fear Of The Dark I don't really like either. Why go to this?
That's why I saw them on the Somewhere Back In Time tour in 2008! NO songs after Seventh Son!!!
I have seen the Powerslave and Somewhere Back In Time Tours. The Powerslave show was just one of the best gigs I have ever seen!