It's early, but here's your '06 concert of the year

post your opinions about shows. A full event calendar is available.

Moderators: Brian, Metalfreak, MS_39455, AtlantaMetal Staff

holly
WREKage Staff

Post by holly » Mon January 16th, 2006, 5:07 am

Asrynth wrote:
holly wrote:
andyb wrote:
TheKshatriya wrote:I still dont understand why people think Opeth is so good, but to each his own.
i agree, ive heard so much shit about them, then i saw them, i was really let down, and my taste in music sucks.
If SOTU was the first time you saw them, yeah, it sucked.
Invest in a copy of Ghost Reveries and seeing them in February and you will not be disappointed.
Invest in a copy of Morningrise or Blackwater Park and you may be better off than Ghost Reveries. GR is rock with death metal vocals, their older stuff is real death metal, not that it makes it any better or worse Im just saying I think their new stuff is a bit too watered down.
Yeah, but it's probably the best thing for someone just getting into them to listen to.

Mike
WREKage Staff

Post by Mike » Mon January 16th, 2006, 5:20 am

Strangler wrote:Opeth is good but get boring after a while. Songs are way too long. And Kreator/Napalm Death tour > this tour. 8)
Part of the awesomeness is the long songs with different movements.

And Kreator/Napalm Death would've been cool in '87-'90.
Sure they're still pretty good but not tour of the year worthy.

Michael

Post by Michael » Mon January 16th, 2006, 5:27 am

I'll definitely be finding a way to get to this show, even if I have to drive to get there.

Greg
WREKage Staff

Post by Greg » Mon January 16th, 2006, 4:07 pm

There's a confirmed date for Orlando in March, hopefully that means an upswing through here on that leg of the tour.

Greg
WREKage Staff

Post by Greg » Mon January 16th, 2006, 4:19 pm

holly wrote:
Asrynth wrote:
holly wrote:
andyb wrote:
TheKshatriya wrote:I still dont understand why people think Opeth is so good, but to each his own.
i agree, ive heard so much shit about them, then i saw them, i was really let down, and my taste in music sucks.
If SOTU was the first time you saw them, yeah, it sucked.
Invest in a copy of Ghost Reveries and seeing them in February and you will not be disappointed.
Invest in a copy of Morningrise or Blackwater Park and you may be better off than Ghost Reveries. GR is rock with death metal vocals, their older stuff is real death metal, not that it makes it any better or worse Im just saying I think their new stuff is a bit too watered down.
Yeah, but it's probably the best thing for someone just getting into them to listen to.
In my opinion the Opeth hierarchy of albums goes like this:

if you want Opeth with a early Swedish twin-guitar sound and slight black metal vibe to it, listen to Orchid and Morningrise.

if you want Opeth with a death metal vibe, listen to My Arms Your Hearse, Deliverance, tracks 2 and 6 from Still Life, and tracks 1, 2, and 8 on Blackwater Park.

if you want Opeth with a very very heavy prog rock vibe, listen to Ghost Reveries, tracks 1, 4, 5, and 7 on Still Life, and tracks 4, 5, and 6 on Blackwater Park.

if you want "soft" Opeth, listen to Damnation and the various 1-2 ballads included on each album.

if you want to be blown away by the most well-produced and cd-quality sounding concert DVD out there right now, watch the Lamentations DVD.

When someone else can name me a band still playing that can encompass that many genres and styles of music into as many albums I'll be ready to relinquish Opeth's hold on my mind as the current best band in metal today.

TheKshatriya

Post by TheKshatriya » Mon January 16th, 2006, 8:35 pm

Greg wrote: When someone else can name me a band still playing that can encompass that many genres and styles of music into as many albums I'll be ready to relinquish Opeth's hold on my mind as the current best band in metal today.
LISTEN UP MOTHERFUCKER, IVE GOT SOMETHING I NEED TO SAAAAAAY...

Crotchduster

Matt

Post by Matt » Tue January 17th, 2006, 12:33 am

i wouldnt even consider opeths new stuff metal really.... i heard some of the new album and it was mostly all soft all the way through.....but i guess opeth is one of those bands you either like or hate.

holly
WREKage Staff

Post by holly » Tue January 17th, 2006, 12:46 am

Matt wrote:i wouldnt even consider opeths new stuff metal really....
You wouldn't.

ProstheticHead12

Post by ProstheticHead12 » Tue January 17th, 2006, 8:51 am

TheKshatriya wrote:
Greg wrote: When someone else can name me a band still playing that can encompass that many genres and styles of music into as many albums I'll be ready to relinquish Opeth's hold on my mind as the current best band in metal today.
LISTEN UP MOTHERFUCKER, IVE GOT SOMETHING I NEED TO SAAAAAAY...

Crotchduster
I'll second this motion.
Fuck it, Dude, let's go bowling.

Greg
WREKage Staff

Post by Greg » Tue January 17th, 2006, 11:58 am

Haha you're both right, I take it all back.

An Opeth/Crotchduster show would be the greatest thing ever since the last greatest thing ever.

fukrholestkhed

Post by fukrholestkhed » Tue January 17th, 2006, 12:04 pm

Neurosis has been going for 20 years now, and every single album is different and full of feeling in its own way. Also, you never know what you are going to get when a new Neurosis album comes your way, you know what to expect out of a new Opeth album.
play your gloom axe

ProstheticHead12

Post by ProstheticHead12 » Tue January 17th, 2006, 5:28 pm

fukrholestkhed wrote:
Neurosis has been going for 20 years now, and every single album is different and full of feeling in its own way. Also, you never know what you are going to get when a new Neurosis album comes your way, you know what to expect out of a new Opeth album.
point taken - best band in metal remains crotchduster
Fuck it, Dude, let's go bowling.

Michael

Post by Michael » Fri January 20th, 2006, 3:15 am

Unless they fly out of Atlanta, I view our chances of seeing them here as being fairly slim at the moment. I just don't quit see where they'd put us unless it's March 22nd or 23rd before flying to Greece. Then again, they could always come back and extend the tour.

ratanda
AtlantaMetal Staff

Post by ratanda » Fri January 20th, 2006, 2:01 pm

Personally the act I'd most like to see on this bill is the Devin Townsend Band, followed by Dark Transquillity since Opeth was just here not long ago at all. If it was just Opeth, if they played here or not on this tour, I wouldn't really care.

Strangler

Post by Strangler » Sat January 21st, 2006, 9:21 pm

Mike wrote:
Strangler wrote:Opeth is good but get boring after a while. Songs are way too long. And Kreator/Napalm Death tour > this tour. 8)
Part of the awesomeness is the long songs with different movements.

And Kreator/Napalm Death would've been cool in '87-'90.
Sure they're still pretty good but not tour of the year worthy.
Gets boring really quickly...

And Kreator/Napalm Death maybe old but I would rather see them than some Opeth. Opeth doesn't do much for me.