It's early, but here's your '06 concert of the year

post your opinions about shows. A full event calendar is available.

Moderators: Brian, Metalfreak, MS_39455, AtlantaMetal Staff

Greg
WREKage Staff

It's early, but here's your '06 concert of the year

Post by Greg » Thu January 12th, 2006, 12:24 pm

Opeth
Dark Tranquillity
Devin Townsend Band

Holy fucking shit! This is the lineup for the February tour that Opeth talked about back during their last show.

The closest date booked here so far is Raliegh NC on Feb. 15th, I don't know if there are any plans for a show here but that lineup is worth driving cross country for if you're a fan of this style of metal.

Asrynth

Post by Asrynth » Thu January 12th, 2006, 4:15 pm

I think the other two bands suck, but Opeth is classic for me, so If they come, I must go as always.

holly
WREKage Staff

Re: It's early, but here's your '06 concert of the year

Post by holly » Thu January 12th, 2006, 6:08 pm

Greg wrote:Opeth
Dark Tranquillity
Devin Townsend Band

Holy fucking shit! This is the lineup for the February tour that Opeth talked about back during their last show.

The closest date booked here so far is Raliegh NC on Feb. 15th, I don't know if there are any plans for a show here but that lineup is worth driving cross country for if you're a fan of this style of metal.
I'm in.
I will help with gas if you take me.
<3

Greg
WREKage Staff

Post by Greg » Thu January 12th, 2006, 8:30 pm

They're still booking dates for the tour so hopefully they can squeeze Atlanta in there, or at least somewhere one state closer.

TheKshatriya

Post by TheKshatriya » Fri January 13th, 2006, 7:28 pm

I still dont understand why people think Opeth is so good, but to each his own.

necroodin

Post by necroodin » Fri January 13th, 2006, 10:13 pm

Opeth is like emo for metalheads. esp. the newer material

Asrynth

Post by Asrynth » Sat January 14th, 2006, 1:13 pm

TheKshatriya wrote:I still dont understand why people think Opeth is so good, but to each his own.
I like Opeth because I think their song writing is creative and unique. Just a personal opinion.

andyb

Post by andyb » Sat January 14th, 2006, 6:25 pm

TheKshatriya wrote:I still dont understand why people think Opeth is so good, but to each his own.
i agree, ive heard so much shit about them, then i saw them, i was really let down, and my taste in music sucks.
hope you all fucking rot

ProstheticHead12

Post by ProstheticHead12 » Sat January 14th, 2006, 10:10 pm

I personally have always enjoyed mellow stuff, especially something that is more unique like Porcupine Tree and Opeth combines really good mellow passages with great metal. Heavy is much heavier when there's some actual contrast and dynamics. As much as I love Decapitated or stuff like that, I really appreciate a good metal band that can do what Opeth does.
Fuck it, Dude, let's go bowling.

Greg
WREKage Staff

Post by Greg » Sat January 14th, 2006, 11:13 pm

Opeth isn't a band that's gonna jump out and grab you with hooks and huge riffs and breakdowns. You have to invest some time in listening to them and just let yourself get swept away in their prowess and the emotion they play with. Metal is meant to be cold and ugly or fun and goofy, but they've found a way to make truly beautiful and haunting music album after album.

I'm with LFR Greg on this one - I love as much goregrind and death and black metal as anyone but Opeth are on a musical plane all by themselves.

Besides, if I can convince Holly to like them then I have a feeling I can convince anyone to like them. :lol:

Strangler

Post by Strangler » Sun January 15th, 2006, 1:42 pm

Opeth is good but get boring after a while. Songs are way too long. And Kreator/Napalm Death tour > this tour. 8)

Metalfreak

Post by Metalfreak » Sun January 15th, 2006, 4:41 pm

Greg wrote:Opeth isn't a band that's gonna jump out and grab you with hooks and huge riffs and breakdowns. You have to invest some time in listening to them and just let yourself get swept away in their prowess and the emotion they play with. Metal is meant to be cold and ugly or fun and goofy, but they've found a way to make truly beautiful and haunting music album after album.

I'm with LFR Greg on this one - I love as much goregrind and death and black metal as anyone but Opeth are on a musical plane all by themselves.

Besides, if I can convince Holly to like them then I have a feeling I can convince anyone to like them. :lol:
couldn't have said it better!
They had you do a drug test and the forgot to test for drugs???

holly
WREKage Staff

Post by holly » Sun January 15th, 2006, 6:23 pm

andyb wrote:
i agree, ive heard so much shit about them, then i saw them, i was really let down, and my taste in music sucks.
If SOTU was the first time you saw them, yeah, it sucked.
Invest in a copy of Ghost Reveries and seeing them in February and you will not be disappointed.

Asrynth

Post by Asrynth » Sun January 15th, 2006, 9:21 pm

holly wrote:
andyb wrote:
If SOTU was the first time you saw them, yeah, it sucked.
Invest in a copy of Ghost Reveries and seeing them in February and you will not be disappointed.
Invest in a copy of Morningrise or Blackwater Park and you may be better off than Ghost Reveries. GR is rock with death metal vocals, their older stuff is real death metal, not that it makes it any better or worse Im just saying I think their new stuff is a bit too watered down.

Matt

Post by Matt » Sun January 15th, 2006, 11:27 pm

necroodin wrote:Opeth is like emo for metalheads. esp. the newer material

glad someone else feels the same way, i fucking hate that annoying gay band.