Progpower review

post your opinions about shows. A full event calendar is available.

Moderators: Brian, Metalfreak, MS_39455, AtlantaMetal Staff

AmoebicDysentery

Post by AmoebicDysentery » Sat September 18th, 2004, 6:42 pm

Well, I actually didn't go to progpower and as I'm typing this it's not even over, but I'm sure DRIVE BY GRIND was by far the best band that played. For those of you that missed them, they played at about 4:30 on the sidewalk stage. It was a pretty quick, but memorable set. Sorry for everybody that missed us..er..them.

E.J. Diarrheaspray

Post by E.J. Diarrheaspray » Sat September 18th, 2004, 9:55 pm

Man, DRIVE BY GRIND sure was incredible! The crowd response was amazing. Hopefully DRIVE BY GRIND will appear somewhere else soon! :b4ldm3t4l:

dumpVokillist

Post by dumpVokillist » Sun September 19th, 2004, 3:39 am

will :m0nk3yp33:

ratanda
AtlantaMetal Staff

Post by ratanda » Mon September 20th, 2004, 3:42 pm

I went to Progpwer and had a pretty good time. It wasn't the best lineup for me, but all the bands were decent I guess. Pain of Salvation fucking ruled but I'm a fan of theirs anyway. Into Eternity were good, but their new singer couldn't quite cut it. He wasn't as good as the singer they had with them at that Dying Fetus show.

Kamelot was boring as hell and I found the whole John Oliva/Savatage thing uninteresting. Same with Edguy. Tad Morose and Wuthering Heights weren't bad at all. Neither was Brainstorm.

bid

Post by bid » Thu September 23rd, 2004, 12:34 pm

I wish I could be there to see the Drive By Grind. But kudos to you always.. you know who you are.
bidyut

E.J. Diarrheaspray

Post by E.J. Diarrheaspray » Thu September 23rd, 2004, 12:52 pm

Kudos are delicious! :3v1l:

WREKage-Paul
WREKage Staff

Post by WREKage-Paul » Fri September 24th, 2004, 5:53 am

Hahahahaha, I had a feeling that was y'all. :D :lol: ;)

That show was mentioned on the ProgPower Forum, too.

Sadly, it might have been eclipsed by Midnight (ex-Crimson Glory) and his totally impromptu acoustic solo set at 6am on the second-floor patio deck of the Fairfield Inn in front of 20-30 people. Christalmighty, can that little fucker SING! :m3t4l:

ProgPower was hella fun, hella tiring and hella expensive, but still great in its unique way. It's not every day you can shove a band from France into the back bed of a friend's pikup truck in the rain...and still have them thank you for taking them somewhere for food. :wh4cky:

Dan, glad you liked PoS. I won't say how much they cost me, but it was worth every penny. Request something from 'em on WREKage this week.

Brainstorm and Tad Morose were the "big buzz" bands this year. I really liked Into Eternity (and I was lined up to be a co-sponsor for 'em when PoS dropped into my in-box) -- new singer sounded close enough on the smooth vox that with my eyes closed, it'd be hard to tell the difference. Great to hear one truly heavy, extreme band at PPUSA. I liked Adagio's set a lot, too. New singer from Brazil had been in the band three weeks and acquitted himself very well, I thought.

I was totally surprised by Dreamscape -- I thought they were cheesy power-metal and instead they were pretty good prog-metal. Kamelot was okay but their opening/intro song was great. ("The Might of Rome" from the Gladiator soundtrack.)

Pics are up, at <a href='http://66.193.230.227/~paulcas/ppv.html' target='_blank'>http://66.193.230.227/~paulcas/ppv.html</a>

Community host for WREKage
www.wrekage.org
Friday night, midnight 'til we get tired, 91.1 FM

ratanda
AtlantaMetal Staff

Post by ratanda » Fri September 24th, 2004, 1:40 pm

Paul, I lovce Pain of Salvation. I became a fan after their performance in 2002. Been listening to them all week.

WREKage-Paul
WREKage Staff

Post by WREKage-Paul » Wed October 6th, 2004, 5:57 pm

Dan, I meant to play something from PoS for ya this past week on WREKage, but got distracted, etc. Maybe this coming Friday, if there's time. (I was eyeing "Inside" from One Hour....)

www.wrekage.org

ratanda
AtlantaMetal Staff

Post by ratanda » Wed October 6th, 2004, 5:59 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-WREKage-Paul+Oct 6 2004, 05:57 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (WREKage-Paul @ Oct 6 2004, 05:57 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Dan, I meant to play something from PoS for ya this past week on WREKage, but got distracted, etc. Maybe this coming Friday, if there's time. (I was eyeing "Inside" from One Hour....) [/quote]
Thanks. I have all their CDs so it's no big deal.

WREKage-Paul
WREKage Staff

Post by WREKage-Paul » Wed October 6th, 2004, 6:03 pm

LOL. If we only played songs from bands that listeners had NO CDs by, the show would be over in an hour.

"Hey man, play some Slayer!"
"Have your CDs been stolen lately?"
"Uh, no."
"Are you at home?"
"Yeah."
"You got a finger that can push the PLAY button?"

:D

www.wrekage.org

BoB

Post by BoB » Thu October 7th, 2004, 9:47 am

<!--QuoteBegin-WREKage-Paul+Oct 6 2004, 07:03 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (WREKage-Paul @ Oct 6 2004, 07:03 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> LOL. If we only played songs from bands that listeners had NO CDs by, the show would be over in an hour. [/quote]
I really doubt that. It's an interesting challenge tho! :D

ProstheticHead12

Post by ProstheticHead12 » Thu October 7th, 2004, 9:51 am

<!--QuoteBegin-WREKage-Paul+Oct 6 2004, 07:03 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (WREKage-Paul @ Oct 6 2004, 07:03 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> "Hey man, play some Slayer!"
"Uh, no."
"Are you at home?"
"Yeah."
"You got a finger that can push the PLAY button?" [/quote]
hahaha - if you really said that to a caller thats hilarious
Fuck it, Dude, let's go bowling.

ratanda
AtlantaMetal Staff

Post by ratanda » Thu October 7th, 2004, 9:56 am

Haha I used to have this one listener that every single goddamn week would call in and request Metallica's Fight Fire With Fire. You know he had to own that. He had the thickest redneck voice so one week when I announced what I played over the air I imitated his voice very sarcastically and he never called again.

Another guy always fucking requested Dog Day Sunrise from the 2nd Fear Factory. One day he called back asking how I liked the song in a very confident voice. I told him the song sucks and he never called again.

Just so there's no confusion, I'm glad they never called back.

WREKage-Paul
WREKage Staff

Post by WREKage-Paul » Sun October 10th, 2004, 9:34 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-ProstheticHead12+Oct 7 2004, 10:51 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ProstheticHead12 @ Oct 7 2004, 10:51 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> <!--QuoteBegin-WREKage&#045;Paul+Oct 6 2004, 07:03 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (WREKage&#045;Paul &#064; Oct 6 2004, 07:03 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> "Hey man, play some Slayer!"
"Uh, no."
"Are you at home?"
"Yeah."
"You got a finger that can push the PLAY button?" [/quote]
hahaha - if you really said that to a caller thats hilarious [/quote]
Nahhh, I'm too nice.

Damnit. :lol:

www.wrekage.org