Satan's Host 5/25 in Athens

post your opinions about shows. A full event calendar is available.

Moderators: Brian, Metalfreak, MS_39455, AtlantaMetal Staff

ProstheticHead12

Post by ProstheticHead12 » Sun May 25th, 2008, 5:20 pm

and daffodil - horrible and inappropriate choice for an opener, but they work at transmet or something like that. it'll be entertaining at least.

D & Q and Satan's Host are all that's important though. Early show with doors at 8 if anyone actually reads this before coming.
Fuck it, Dude, let's go bowling.

Metalfreak

Post by Metalfreak » Mon May 26th, 2008, 12:21 pm

ProstheticHead12 wrote:and daffodil - horrible and inappropriate choice for an opener, but they work at transmet or something like that. it'll be entertaining at least.
is there a guy named Conrad in that band? I think I know who you're talking about...if it is, yeah bad combination!

anyways, how was this?
They had you do a drug test and the forgot to test for drugs???

JMincemoyer

Post by JMincemoyer » Mon May 26th, 2008, 1:27 pm

The show went on, although it was delayed due to the opening band's tardiness, which forced both Satan's Host and Drawn & Quartered to play shortened sets. As I was told repeatededly, "The is Athens. And realize that this is a Sunday night." I find this attitude to be pathetic, but that is Athens in a nutshell. Daffodil sucked and I am not saying that because they put everything behind schedule. They were not good at all. I think I was more angry condisering the lack of respect shown to the travelling bands. It is obvious on many levels that Athenians have no concept of professionalism or artistic respect. Considering how late things got going, the music had to stop at midnight, Daffodil should have apologized, bowed out and allowed SH and D&Q to play full sets, but this concept was beyond them.

I cannot apologize enough to the couple that drove from South Georgia or the gentleman that drove from South Carolina to see the show.

Since there was no true sound board, the bands were playing through a PA, the sound was not what it could have been, but both bands were professional. I cannot speak highly enough about both bands and the fact that they were happy just for the opportunity to play. Considering that Satan's Host had lost their drummer three days prior, and were using D&Q's drummer, they handled themselves admirably.

I am glad this happened because it confirmed many things for me regarding Athens and any type of "scene," which I use loosely here. Funny, several musicians from local heavier bands did not even pay, but stayed outside in the bar area hanging out. I doubt they would have been there had there not been two metal bands playing so the fact that they did not support the show at the door (and thus support the bands playing), just goes to prove how lame Athens truly is.

I may try again in the future, but I am definitely going to have more control over things.

In closing, D&Q were kind enough to even state that they would play in Athens again, which in light of things, meant a lot.

E.J. Diarrheaspray

Post by E.J. Diarrheaspray » Mon May 26th, 2008, 4:40 pm

The show was awesome and totally worth the trip.

The opening band seemed like a joke, the drummer seemed like he was trying to break all his gear constantly. They seemingly played for about an hour even after partially setting up and then leaving for about 45 mins, which was lame.

I cannot thank both touring bands enough for being extremely professional even in this most difficult of circumstances. Satan's Host was amazing, considering the fact that they were using Drawn and Quartered's drummer that hadn't even practiced with them once and was playing their songs only by learning them while listening to their songs in the van.

JMincemoyer...ManBearPig would love to play in Athens

Metalfreak

Post by Metalfreak » Mon May 26th, 2008, 6:24 pm

that's terrible. They should have just started without Daffodil. Hopefully these 2 bands will come back...to Atlanta instead though!
They had you do a drug test and the forgot to test for drugs???

ProstheticHead12

Post by ProstheticHead12 » Tue May 27th, 2008, 7:26 pm

i enjoyed myself
Fuck it, Dude, let's go bowling.