Masquerade Metalfest 2005

post your opinions about shows. A full event calendar is available.

Moderators: Brian, Metalfreak, MS_39455, AtlantaMetal Staff

Fn Dan

Post by Fn Dan » Wed February 2nd, 2005, 6:16 pm

bobnoxious wrote: All day fests kinda suck.
Yes they do. ProgPower starts at 530 and that's pushing it for my nighly attention span. I even got tired at the UtterDestruction fest. I got to Breaker's at around 3pm I think, and by the time Burial Rites finished, I was ready to go home. I had planned to stay and see Arsis, but I physically couldn't.

My biggest piece advice concerning any "metalfest": QUALITY over quantity.

halcyonwayband@aol.com

Post by halcyonwayband@aol.com » Wed February 2nd, 2005, 10:48 pm

Hey guys - we've been talking to the guy at Breakers for the last couple of weeks about doing another show like Utter Destruction in the next couple months, but our thoughts were to cap it at about 6 bands.....if there's interest out there from some of the bands out there let me know so we can call him back....not sure of dates but I think the guy was looking at March.....email me at halcyonwayband@aol.com....

Later.....
Jon Bodan | Guitars | Halcyon Way
www.halcyonway.com

WREKage-Paul
WREKage Staff

Post by WREKage-Paul » Wed February 9th, 2005, 5:38 am

Fn Dan wrote:
bobnoxious wrote: All day fests kinda suck.
Yes they do. ProgPower starts at 530 and that's pushing it for my nighly attention span.
Same here. There have been several otherwise-good to great bands who have headlined the fest and suffered from sheer crowd exhaustion. Rage and Symphony X come to mind. (Edguy last year was an exception.) My ankles were too worn out before Savathingy headlined on Friday night, so they ended up being my "bye" band of the fest. Sheer exhaustion.
My biggest piece (of) advice concerning any "metalfest": QUALITY over quantity.
Absolutely. Case in point: OzzFest. Talk about an all-day endurance test! And, while I'm generally okay with a lot of the lineup most years, seeing bands play a 20-minute set at 10am is pretty lousy.

Asrynth

Post by Asrynth » Fri February 11th, 2005, 4:24 pm

Well, I tihnk if you cut it down to 4 or 5 bands it kind of takes the "fest" out of it. But I do think these "lets try and squeeze 40 bands in one day" things are rediculous. If you do it over like 2 or 3 days and put majorly attracting acts on each day then thats good. But for a one day fest. I side with Fn Dan, get 7 to 8 maybe even nine Quality bands that really express the "identity" your fest is trying to portray and then play it. I think 10+ is pushing the limit on most people and turns it into a low turn out thing, where very few people come to support all the bands, people are coming late, then leaving, coming early then leaving, you just never have a consistant, big crowd there for everyone.

TheKshatriya

Post by TheKshatriya » Fri February 11th, 2005, 7:01 pm

Exactly

BoB

Post by BoB » Fri February 11th, 2005, 11:26 pm

cutting it down to 5 or so bands per night but having two nights should still let you call it a "fest", if that's your thing. Make sure you have a couple good draws each night. Maybe even something like 5 locals and 1 national act type of arrangement. Then you can offer deals like $10 per night or $15 for both kinda package deals.

Diaspora

Post by Diaspora » Sat February 12th, 2005, 1:53 am

I still have yet to hear any news of a date that its getting rescheduled. They say it is, but I haven't heard a date set.

Death2all

Post by Death2all » Tue February 15th, 2005, 2:34 pm

You guys are not metal if you whiny and whimper about being at an all day metal fest. To me you sound like a bunch of pussies that should stay home and listen to your pop music because clearly you couldn't be a metal enthusiast.

AmoebicDysentery

Post by AmoebicDysentery » Tue February 15th, 2005, 3:33 pm

fo' real dood! word up!

Yo man, isn't that new slipknot album fucking the most brutalist CD EVER!!!!11

PEOPLE = SHIT!

Death2all

Post by Death2all » Tue February 15th, 2005, 5:13 pm

AmoebicDysentery wrote:fo' real dood! word up!

Yo man, isn't that new slipknot album fucking the most brutalist CD EVER!!!!11

PEOPLE = SHIT!
I wouldn't go as far as to say that

WREKage-Paul
WREKage Staff

Post by WREKage-Paul » Wed February 16th, 2005, 2:26 am

(lol)

And I wanna steal that avatar and drop it into ICQ, in place of that weird "three evil bald dudes with a SteadiCam" graphic they use when a message is being sent, 'cause it looks a lot like it....just with loads more blood.

Death2all

Post by Death2all » Wed February 16th, 2005, 8:34 pm

sounds great