Metallica/Slayer/Megadeth/Anthrax

post your opinions about shows. A full event calendar is available.

Moderators: Brian, Metalfreak, MS_39455, AtlantaMetal Staff

Generubin

Post by Generubin » Tue January 25th, 2011, 5:27 pm

It's more metal to have no progression in your music and sound exactly the same as you did 20 years ago on every CD you put out.
BlackRoija wrote:Cut your hair and worship Jesus

badcarburetor

Post by badcarburetor » Tue January 25th, 2011, 6:00 pm

There's progression and then there's sucking.
"God created the devil? At least he did *something* cool." Homer J. Simpson

stewvee

Post by stewvee » Tue January 25th, 2011, 8:14 pm

And sucking = NO CLIFF BURTON.
Brian wrote:dance, monkey, dance!!
http://chipsandbeermag.tumblr.com/

Knucklehead

Post by Knucklehead » Tue January 25th, 2011, 8:19 pm

stewvee wrote:And sucking = NO CLIFF BURTON.
(*nods sycophantically*)

Yet it's true!

Generubin

Post by Generubin » Tue January 25th, 2011, 10:49 pm

Knucklehead wrote:
(*nods sycophantically*)

Yet it's true!
truer than tr00

WREKage-Paul
WREKage Staff

Post by WREKage-Paul » Wed January 26th, 2011, 12:45 am

Meh. Sure, things would have been different if Kirk had been in that bunk instead of Cliff. but....
I really liked Jason Newsted -- he was always really cool to us -- and after about 1994 he was pretty much the only member of 'Tallica who gave a rat's ass about their fans....to the point where Lars and James made fun of him over it in a video. Fuck 'em. :evil:
Ryan wrote:dickmove
This.
Community host for WREKage
www.wrekage.org
Friday night, midnight 'til we get tired, 91.1 FM

Matt

Post by Matt » Wed January 26th, 2011, 4:35 am

Generubin wrote:It's more metal to have no progression in your music and sound exactly the same as you did 20 years ago on every CD you put out.

i really dont know about that, progressing as musicians and songwriters and selling out is two completely different things. but being metal means nothing to me. only liking metal matters to me
your church was turned into an abortion clinic and we use it all the time... sluts!!!

stewvee

Post by stewvee » Wed January 26th, 2011, 7:32 am

Generubin wrote:
Knucklehead wrote:
(*nods sycophantically*)

Yet it's true!
truer than tr00
There's nothing elitist about liking Metallica with Cliff Burton more than Metallica with Newsted.

The IRONY here is that Burton was anything but cool. The guy wore bellbottoms and rambled incessantly about ZZ TOP whenever given the chance. Those things may now find favor with a select group, but at the time, he was a fucking oddball. Not to mention he basically started the whole metalheads-love-Misfits purview.

So, sure, he may have been authentic. But in no way/shape/form was "troo."

Generubin

Post by Generubin » Wed January 26th, 2011, 9:43 am

Matt wrote:
Generubin wrote:It's more metal to have no progression in your music and sound exactly the same as you did 20 years ago on every CD you put out.

i really dont know about that, progressing as musicians and songwriters and selling out is two completely different things. but being metal means nothing to me. only liking metal matters to me

I'm not saying that I disagree with anything about Metallica or the old thrash bands. I'm just saying that it seems that some can't tell the difference between being just popular (still doing what you want with your music; just progressing and becoming more well-known) and selling out. It is almost like the second a band is popular there are others that are like *nah I can't dig them now they're selling out to be hip*. When really they're just trying to make money like any other band would do if they wanting to become successful.

V-GER

Post by V-GER » Wed January 26th, 2011, 10:18 am

7 dates for Europe and 1 for their birthplace, the US. Can't be only one!

Doomed Youth

Post by Doomed Youth » Wed January 26th, 2011, 12:42 pm

There is no way they are going to miss out on the fortune that would be made from a US tour. I think they're just billing it as one show to hype it up and make people fly from all over to CA. Classic move.

badcarburetor

Post by badcarburetor » Wed January 26th, 2011, 3:42 pm

Doomed Youth wrote:There is no way they are going to miss out on the fortune that would be made from a US tour. I think they're just billing it as one show to hype it up and make people fly from all over to CA. Classic move.
Yep. It'll go down something like this...

After the show, the evil little Danish troll will hold a press conference bedecked in a short-sleeved, designer brand, solid color t-shirt and an overlong, earth-toned hipster scarf. His hair plugs will have failed out yet again. The jist of his ego indulgent speech can be summarized as follows (make sure you add in your own guido worthy hand gestures and social worker sincerity): "The response, man, was just so overwhelming that, you know, we had to take this thing on the road, man, and do it again in every city (really it will be, like, 8 MAJOR markets or - even better - arenas that are central and travel convenient-ish to several major markets), you know, for the kids, man. This band has always been about the kids."

Meanwhile, I hope that Joey Belladonna has worked out percentage deal that hooks the brother up.
"God created the devil? At least he did *something* cool." Homer J. Simpson

Knucklehead

Post by Knucklehead » Wed January 26th, 2011, 4:34 pm

stewvee wrote:
Generubin wrote:
Knucklehead wrote:
(*nods sycophantically*)

Yet it's true!
truer than tr00
There's nothing elitist about liking Metallica with Cliff Burton more than Metallica with Newsted.

The IRONY here is that Burton was anything but cool. The guy wore bellbottoms and rambled incessantly about ZZ TOP whenever given the chance. Those things may now find favor with a select group, but at the time, he was a fucking oddball. Not to mention he basically started the whole metalheads-love-Misfits purview.

So, sure, he may have been authentic. But in no way/shape/form was "troo."
But that was thing about Cliff -- he was such an individual. I winced every time that I saw him in the bell bottoms. Yet he pretty much single-handedly introduced the Misfits to metalheads, by convincing James and Kirk that they were cool. He was simultaneously cool and deeply uncool.

"We're not trying to be anything big and f-fancy. We're just us, doing what we do."

nocommands

Post by nocommands » Wed January 26th, 2011, 9:42 pm

honestly ive never heard of anyone thinking they'll win kvlt points by denying bands like metallica or megadeth.. yeah they all put out some crappy material in the 90's but the albums that established them seem pretty undeniable if you like metal.

stewvee

Post by stewvee » Thu January 27th, 2011, 7:24 am

badcarburetor wrote: After the show, the evil little Danish troll will hold a press conference bedecked in a short-sleeved, designer brand, solid color t-shirt and an overlong, earth-toned hipster scarf. His hair plugs will have failed out yet again. The jist of his ego indulgent speech can be summarized as follows (make sure you add in your own guido worthy hand gestures and social worker sincerity): "The response, man, was just so overwhelming that, you know, we had to take this thing on the road, man, and do it again in every city (really it will be, like, 8 MAJOR markets or - even better - arenas that are central and travel convenient-ish to several major markets), you know, for the kids, man. This band has always been about the kids."
I can see that little putz doing/saying all of this and I hate you for making it real.