Clinging To The Trees Of A Forest Fire

post your opinions about shows. A full event calendar is available.

Moderators: Brian, Metalfreak, MS_39455, AtlantaMetal Staff

Stussey

Post by Stussey » Thu July 14th, 2011, 1:02 pm

5 shows is still at least 1/week. And I agree, there's not a punk/metal club/bar/hangout anymore. Jack's is the closest thing to it, but the parking is a pain and it's a neighborhood hangout so it can be packed.

I have to disagree on the locals doing a good job promoting. It's hit or miss at best. There are a few people,like Scott from In Ruins who still makes real flyers and hands them out. There are a few others, but it's rare. I'll see an event on fb and if it's a bigger show at the Masquerade I'll see people spamming to get cheat tickets from the band. Which is funny since everyone 'hates' the Masquerade so much and buys into the pay to play just to open for a bigger band.

I don't expect people to go to every show, I don't even go to every show. But if it's promoted and there's a couple bands on the bill I want to go see, I generally tend to go, even working 3 jobs.

There's another issue is that when booking shows, getting back to promotion, to know if there's already a show happening on a date they want to book. Take tonight,7/14, there's 3 shows, 2 metal type shows and a punk show. Since the scenes pretty much overlap, I would say it would hurt all 3 shows, but Big Business/Torche are playing, so that's going to draw. For those that are 21 and don't have $12-15, they'll probably end up at the free show at the Star Bar. Which means only friends of the bands are going to go to the Scaffolds/Palaces/FYN show at the Clermont. I know it's hard when booking touring bands, you're not really flexible on dates, but you have to make sure there's nothing else going on, especially for smaller bands. If there is, try to combine shows.

As far as online promotion, you have fb, here,which not everyone checks and a few others that even less check. Maybe somebody with some web building ability put up a site and get the word out to get every promoter to post their shows there, that way there's a current list,not like on a message board where somebody will post a show and if nobody replies just disappears until somebody posts. This city need all the help it can get.

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Thu July 14th, 2011, 1:28 pm

Stussey wrote:I have to disagree on the locals doing a good job promoting. It's hit or miss at best. There are a few people,like Scott from In Ruins who still makes real flyers and hands them out. There are a few others, but it's rare. I'll see an event on fb and if it's a bigger show at the Masquerade I'll see people spamming to get cheat tickets from the band. Which is funny since everyone 'hates' the Masquerade so much and buys into the pay to play just to open for a bigger band.
Agree. Though I wouldn't call playing the Masq "pay to play" as you don't have to pay for the tickets you don't sell... i'd call it more "pain in the ass to play."
<a href="http://spewtilator.bandcamp.com">SPEWTILATOR</a> - Badass motherfuckin' street cops with nothing to lose who don't play by the rules and are out for blood.
Tricalibur wrote:I am looking for Skullcrusher and Dynamo.

regurgitated death

Post by regurgitated death » Fri July 15th, 2011, 6:29 pm

Local bands do a shitty job of promoting but a lot of 'unknown touring' bands are worse because they make little effort to promote themselves before going on tour. The worst is when a show is announced here and you go to the bands webpage and there's no mention of it. That's just too lazy. I also think this town could use a local zine. Not so much as to find out dates but as a way for touring and local bands to promote themselves. Especially for those without regular internet.

Holiday Rambler

Post by Holiday Rambler » Sat July 16th, 2011, 4:42 pm

Some good ideas...

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Mon July 18th, 2011, 7:38 am

regurgitated death wrote:I also think this town could use a local zine. Not so much as to find out dates but as a way for touring and local bands to promote themselves. Especially for those without regular internet.
I fully agree about the zine. I know there are few hardcore zines that float around but a metal/punk/etc. zine would be nice. I've considered doing one in the past but I just don't have the time.
<a href="http://spewtilator.bandcamp.com">SPEWTILATOR</a> - Badass motherfuckin' street cops with nothing to lose who don't play by the rules and are out for blood.

Brian
WREKage Staff

Post by Brian » Mon July 18th, 2011, 7:48 am

Ryan wrote:
regurgitated death wrote:I also think this town could use a local zine. Not so much as to find out dates but as a way for touring and local bands to promote themselves. Especially for those without regular internet.
I fully agree about the zine. I know there are few hardcore zines that float around but a metal/punk/etc. zine would be nice. I've considered doing one in the past but I just don't have the time.
I've wanted to do one for a long time. There was even a topic about it on here a little while back. Just don't know what to write about.

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Mon July 18th, 2011, 8:45 am

Brian wrote:
Ryan wrote:
I've wanted to do one for a long time. There was even a topic about it on here a little while back. Just don't know what to write about.
Anything really... show reviews are always good. Reviews of any local band's records. Interviews are cool. If there's a touring band coming through that you dig you could write something up about them before they come through to promote the show or whatever. Local labels or venues. Random quotes n shit from people at shows. Articles about your thoughts on shit. You could always get other people to contribute writing or art or whatever. I can help with printing as long as the format is 8 1/2 x 11 folded in half and you're ok with black n white.

regurgitated death

Post by regurgitated death » Mon July 18th, 2011, 4:50 pm

What kind of printer are you using for black and white print cause unless the photos are professionally edited they look like shit on a zerox.

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Mon July 18th, 2011, 5:56 pm

It's a big xerox deal at one of my jobs. You can tweak it quite a bit so photos shouldn't be an issue.

regurgitated death

Post by regurgitated death » Tue July 26th, 2011, 12:41 pm

Yip Yip ride to the beach and paid hotel room. With a 90% CMD reunion. I love my GF.

regurgitated death

Post by regurgitated death » Mon August 1st, 2011, 11:06 am

Good turn out. Unfortunately show got canceled. See post about Transient. Saw the beach though.

putridterror

Post by putridterror » Tue August 9th, 2011, 12:22 pm

-
Last edited by putridterror on Sat April 11th, 2020, 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brian
WREKage Staff

Post by Brian » Tue August 9th, 2011, 12:37 pm

putridterror wrote:
Ryan wrote:
Brian wrote:
Ryan wrote:
Anything really... show reviews are always good. Reviews of any local band's records. Interviews are cool. If there's a touring band coming through that you dig you could write something up about them before they come through to promote the show or whatever. Local labels or venues. Random quotes n shit from people at shows. Articles about your thoughts on shit. You could always get other people to contribute writing or art or whatever. I can help with printing as long as the format is 8 1/2 x 11 folded in half and you're ok with black n white.
I think a zine is a great idea. I know a lot of people (including myself) who would like to go to shows more often but don't have a clue where the to start. It would really help to have a central place for all the information and would probably help bring more bands to Atlanta as well.
http://wrekage.org/events.php

Stussey

Post by Stussey » Tue August 9th, 2011, 12:51 pm

A zine would be great. It's sad that there's so many outlets now to get the word out about shows/releases,etc and they're not being taken advantage of. I tell bands/labels to send me tour dates/news etc and I'll announce it on my show to a worldwide audience. Most bands don't. I don't buy the 'I'm busy' excuse. I basically have 3 jobs, work 7 days/wk, have a g/f,host 2 radio shows and still have time not only to promote my show/video co. but make it to at least 1 show but usually more a week.

If the means of promotion are there, use it, quit being lazy and making up excuses.

Generubin

Post by Generubin » Tue August 9th, 2011, 4:05 pm

Brian wrote: But expecting people to go to every single show that happens in this city is nuts!
I actually told myself that I need to stop going to so many shows and start saving for more meaningful festivals because I'm sick of going to shows and hearing "Atlanta sux blah blah blah. There are better metal/punk scenes." Listening to who is lame and who isn't lame gets old fast.

If you look at it as if it could be better then no place is better unless you live in some place like California. Maybe it's because people forget that Atlanta really isn't all that big and it's main attraction is rap and hip-hop. Atlanta gets kids from New Orleans, Florida, Virginia, Tennessee, and touring acts from all over. Which is more than what most cities in the south will ever see. Even though we all think that the Masquerade blows it still gets acts like Amon Amarth, Destruction, Kreator, G.B.H., Buckethead, Exhumed, Obituary, Unleashed, Vader, etc etc

How many times has Cannibal Corpse and Megadeth been through Atlanta? when I saw Megadeth in New Orleans they told the crowd that this was a big deal for them because they haven't played in New Orleans in 15 years....(probably because no one in New Orleans can afford it, haha)
BlackRoija wrote:Cut your hair and worship Jesus