Sounds of The Underground Tour

post your opinions about shows. A full event calendar is available.

Moderators: Brian, Metalfreak, MS_39455, AtlantaMetal Staff

bid

Sounds of The Underground Tour

Post by bid » Thu March 10th, 2005, 3:28 pm

Last edited by bid on Fri March 11th, 2005, 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bidyut

Fn Dan

Post by Fn Dan » Thu March 10th, 2005, 3:49 pm

When Tim gets back in town (he's promoter reping for the Social D show in Birmingham), I'm going to ask him if he's ever heard of the people putting this show together. It worries me when someone wants to be an 18 band tour together, because that is a HUGE undertaking. I also get nervous about if there will really be enough money to go around...

Greg
WREKage Staff

Post by Greg » Fri March 11th, 2005, 2:22 pm

That is a damn sweet lineup though.

holly
WREKage Staff

Post by holly » Fri March 11th, 2005, 9:02 pm

Fn Dan wrote:When Tim gets back in town (he's promoter reping for the Social D show in Birmingham), I'm going to ask him if he's ever heard of the people putting this show together. It worries me when someone wants to be an 18 band tour together, because that is a HUGE undertaking. I also get nervous about if there will really be enough money to go around...
Most of those bands don't make very much money even when they headline anyway, so I don't think it's very big of an issue.

I don't think it'll be hard to draw in Atlanta at least - the big names will bring people out as it is.

TheKshatriya

Post by TheKshatriya » Sun March 13th, 2005, 5:29 pm

Atlanta is fucking awful for music anyway, but I love living here. Its sad only the huge name bring people out. When there are so many people who listen to bands that arent big and they still dont come out. Like when Cannibal Corpse comes to town its back, but with Cryptopsy or Suffocation comes its maybe half full. Atlanta one of the worst cities for metal in the world. There are so many good metal bands that wont come to Atlanta becaues of it.

Mike
WREKage Staff

Post by Mike » Sun March 13th, 2005, 8:13 pm

TheKshatriya wrote:Atlanta is fucking awful for music anyway, but I love living here. Its sad only the huge name bring people out. When there are so many people who listen to bands that arent big and they still dont come out. Like when Cannibal Corpse comes to town its back, but with Cryptopsy or Suffocation comes its maybe half full. Atlanta one of the worst cities for metal in the world. There are so many good metal bands that wont come to Atlanta becaues of it.
I really don't think that is true at all. The Masquerade thrives on having mostly metal/hardcore shows. There is usually a good turnout at most shows that I go to, and that is a lot. What bands won't play here because Atlanta sucks for metal as you claim?

How could Atlanta suck for metal if goddamn Mastodon is from here?

Fn Dan

Post by Fn Dan » Sun March 13th, 2005, 8:27 pm

I showed Tim the online posts that listed the promoters involved. According to Tim, this is definitely a legit tour, if the mentioned people are indeed involved.

holly
WREKage Staff

Post by holly » Mon March 14th, 2005, 2:51 am

Mike wrote:
TheKshatriya wrote:Atlanta is fucking awful for music anyway, but I love living here. Its sad only the huge name bring people out. When there are so many people who listen to bands that arent big and they still dont come out. Like when Cannibal Corpse comes to town its back, but with Cryptopsy or Suffocation comes its maybe half full. Atlanta one of the worst cities for metal in the world. There are so many good metal bands that wont come to Atlanta becaues of it.
I really don't think that is true at all. The Masquerade thrives on having mostly metal/hardcore shows. There is usually a good turnout at most shows that I go to, and that is a lot. What bands won't play here because Atlanta sucks for metal as you claim?

How could Atlanta suck for metal if goddamn Mastodon is from here?
I can't fully speak about the metal scene here, but there's no doubt in my mind that this city blows for shows. There are TONS of tours that skip Atlanta as far as hardcore goes. Have you noticed that Embrace Today is coming back in May for the first time since JANUARY 04? They've played fucking Augusta like 4 times since then.

It's definitely true that only big bands draw. I've been to so many shows, at the Masq and otherwise, where there's a perfectly awesome line-up and like less than 200 people (at the Masq - less than 50 at hardcore shows) show up. Prime example: there wouldn't be half the hardcore/metalcore bands that there are these days without Merauder. How many people showed up to that? Josiah told me like 15. The next night, over 400 people for Bane/Comeback Kid/With Honor. God Forbid draws like 100 people. There are tons of examples, I just can't pull any more out of my head at the moment.

Even the big shows that I go to that I happen to see in other cities (for instance, the last Hatebreed tour I saw here and in Dallas) - the other city is always better.

The turnouts here suck, the fans for the most part suck, and the clubs are sub-par. Blah.

BoB

Post by BoB » Mon March 14th, 2005, 10:35 am

well, I'd say it starts with the attitude 8)

We've discussed this pretty heavily in an old thread as well as a bunch of others - do some searching. From what I recall after all the bitching and ranting the lesson learned was: don't bitch and rant, instead go out and see some shows and don't be so down on the bands from your own city - there are a lot of good bands here, right now. A good scene isn't going to just spring up on its own and the one we have isn't so horrible.

Matt

Post by Matt » Tue March 15th, 2005, 9:56 am

actually neal the last cannibal corpse/napalm death show was no more crowded than the cryptopsy or suffocation shows. but the CC one with vile and exhumed was fairly packed. but i saw cryptopsy at the masq in like march/april 2002 with dimmu borgir and krisiun and it was pretty packed. also like the incantation/cannibal corpse show in like may 2002 was pretty packed. metal here is just inconsistant. its all hit or miss. you can never predict. i honestly cant tell whether its getting better or worse recently

TheKshatriya

Post by TheKshatriya » Fri April 1st, 2005, 1:15 am

The band show had like over 550 people turn out and I think that s what kept a lot of people going to Merauder. And there are a lot of tours that skip Atlanta, im really suprised King Diamond is going to be here in a few weeks. If you want me to list a bunch of metal bands that have toured the US and have never come to Atlanta once i will. But you cant say that Atlanta has a good metal scene. The only thing that keeps what little metal we have going is Deathgasm. I think if it wasnt for them there wouldnt be a lot of metal that we have.

But hardcore is kind of different. We have had local bands like Instilled, Fight Like A Brave, and Paid In Blood and every show they have played had so many people come out and everyone had a lot of fun and moved around. And when then the best local band from here (in my opinion anyway) Signs of Dying played, i cant remember when it was over like 75, at most, people standing around. And when some what bigger bands like Champion, Bane, and Since the Flood come there are always a lot of people there. Iv never seen a hardcore show out of GA but iv heard its a lot better, but if its better than this its has to be pretty damn good.

And Mastodon is good, but they arent that good. Signs of Dying kills them.

Matt

Post by Matt » Mon May 2nd, 2005, 11:23 am

it is because hardcore is trendy, neal. i havent seen instilled in about 2 years, so i wouldnt know. and i saw Paid in blood a couple of times and they never drew as much as these hardcore shows do now. ive never seen fight like a brave, i dont like hardcore at all. Mastodon is pretty good but even they dont draw, and never have. I saw signs of dying twice, and they ruled. hardcore brings out a bunch of trendies so of course they are all packed. none of them are there to appreciate the music, they are there to look fucking cool.

speaking of mastodon, i enjoy blood and thunder, and iron tusk. but aside from that some of the songs sound like really shitty alternative rock (stone temple pilots, bush, etc). I have been rocking out to remission a bit lately though.

holly
WREKage Staff

Post by holly » Mon May 2nd, 2005, 7:34 pm

TheKshatriya wrote:The band show had like over 550 people turn out and I think that s what kept a lot of people going to Merauder. And there are a lot of tours that skip Atlanta, im really suprised King Diamond is going to be here in a few weeks. If you want me to list a bunch of metal bands that have toured the US and have never come to Atlanta once i will. But you cant say that Atlanta has a good metal scene. The only thing that keeps what little metal we have going is Deathgasm. I think if it wasnt for them there wouldnt be a lot of metal that we have.

But hardcore is kind of different. We have had local bands like Instilled, Fight Like A Brave, and Paid In Blood and every show they have played had so many people come out and everyone had a lot of fun and moved around. And when then the best local band from here (in my opinion anyway) Signs of Dying played, i cant remember when it was over like 75, at most, people standing around. And when some what bigger bands like Champion, Bane, and Since the Flood come there are always a lot of people there. Iv never seen a hardcore show out of GA but iv heard its a lot better, but if its better than this its has to be pretty damn good.

And Mastodon is good, but they arent that good. Signs of Dying kills them.
Hardcore shows ARE better everywhere else.
It's really weird, but I mean, obviously, Northern shows are on a completely different level.

holly
WREKage Staff

Post by holly » Mon May 2nd, 2005, 7:36 pm

Matt wrote:it is because hardcore is trendy, neal. i havent seen instilled in about 2 years, so i wouldnt know. and i saw Paid in blood a couple of times and they never drew as much as these hardcore shows do now. ive never seen fight like a brave, i dont like hardcore at all. Mastodon is pretty good but even they dont draw, and never have. I saw signs of dying twice, and they ruled. hardcore brings out a bunch of trendies so of course they are all packed. none of them are there to appreciate the music, they are there to look fucking cool.

speaking of mastodon, i enjoy blood and thunder, and iron tusk. but aside from that some of the songs sound like really shitty alternative rock (stone temple pilots, bush, etc). I have been rocking out to remission a bit lately though.
What you're saying doesn't really apply to any of the bands he mentioned.
Maybe Since the Flood because they aren't a straight hardcore band, and the metalcore tends to draw out a few more kids.
But really, when you're talking "trendy" and "hardcore," the local bands at least certainly don't fit into that classification.

BlazeTSU
AtlantaMetal Staff

Post by BlazeTSU » Mon May 2nd, 2005, 11:05 pm

i wouldn't say that deathgasm is the only thing keeping the metal scene alive here in atlanta. i mean, DG helps and is a big part, but wrekage has been around keeping the metal scene alive here for decades.

one of the biggest problems with the metal scene here is that bands break up every time the scene gets some momentum. abwhore used to draw over 200 people a show and then broke up. in orcrist we were drawing 50-75 and only playing once every few months and then broke up. then a few years ago things were really starting to look up when we had signs of dying, ameobic dysentery, kshatriya, the souls unrest, withered and burial rites consistently playing shows with each other and drawing fairly well and then half of those bands broke up.

another problem is that bands that start getting noticed don't help out the rest of the scene. what has mastodon done for any metal bands here in atlanta? nothing, what has lilitu done for the rest of the scene here? nothing. there has always been good bands here but the problem is that we've never come together to really form a "scene"! everybody seems to go at it alone.