Iron Maiden june 23rd

post your opinions about shows. A full event calendar is available.

Moderators: Brian, Metalfreak, MS_39455, AtlantaMetal Staff

stewvee

Post by stewvee » Sun June 24th, 2012, 8:54 pm

Set up camp in WRONG gravel lot. Who knew there were two? Not me. Was next to Camp Jack's Pizza. Had 10 beered up microconversation with too-tall Rafay. Hugged the redneck guy in the Eddie mask. Peed on myself. Drank another 10 beers. Listened to anything but Maiden before going in. Threatened to fish for carp in sewage/creek next to venue. Had 26 beered up microconversation with Knucklehead. Never found him. Found Tommy and McGee. Peed on myself. Enjoyed Number, Phantom, Aces. Fished for carp in sewage/creek. Got skunked. Saw two fat dudes wearing headlamps and Maiden boot tees holding hands. Hugged redneck guy in Eddie mask. Went home.
Brian wrote:dance, monkey, dance!!
http://chipsandbeermag.tumblr.com/

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Mon June 25th, 2012, 7:34 am

Moloc wrote:@Ryan: you're a brave man moshing with your glasses on. I put mine in my pocket and they still got all bent up.
Haha I have NO idea how I kept them on my head. I never wear them in the pit but I was fucking BLASTED so caution was thrown to the wind. Best fucking night, Maiden was perfect, and the UfO intro made me grin from ear to ear.
<a href="http://spewtilator.bandcamp.com">SPEWTILATOR</a> - Badass motherfuckin' street cops with nothing to lose who don't play by the rules and are out for blood.
Tricalibur wrote:I am looking for Skullcrusher and Dynamo.

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Mon June 25th, 2012, 11:29 am

Knucklehead wrote:The high point of the show for me was definitely "The Number of the Beast."

I think I somehow missed a lot. For instance, I never saw Eddie. Don't remember "Run to the Hills". (Did they even play that?) Part of it is because I was on the edge of the pit, and I thought apparently thought it was more important to randomly grab Ryan by the lapels of his vest and shake him. The other part is alcohol.
Transplanting this... though all topics are Iron Maiden topics on this board haha.

I, too, have some gaping holes in my memory... which I will solely attribute to alcohol. I honestly wanted to avoid getting as wasted as I did because I knew I wouldn't remember everything but OH WELL. I remember Run to the Hills solely for my falsetto performance and air drumming whilst moshing and I am grinning pretty big right now thinking about plowing people over moshing with Todd and the random Scott grab-n-shake sing-a-longs. Man... I played a lot of air guitar in that pit haha. One of the best times of my life, glad to have shared it with all of you.

I don't remember Eddie either haha.
<a href="http://spewtilator.bandcamp.com">SPEWTILATOR</a> - Badass motherfuckin' street cops with nothing to lose who don't play by the rules and are out for blood.

stewvee

Post by stewvee » Mon June 25th, 2012, 11:31 am

Did Eddie come out for The Trooper or Run to the Hills? Have no idea.

ratanda
AtlantaMetal Staff

Post by ratanda » Mon June 25th, 2012, 11:36 am

Eddie didn't come out for the Trooper. It was probably Run To The Hills.

This was from Run To The Hills, which I think I took right before I took of the one of Eddie.

This was from The Trooper definitely, with Bruce waving the flag.

Matt

Post by Matt » Mon June 25th, 2012, 12:37 pm

eddie came out during run to the hills.
your church was turned into an abortion clinic and we use it all the time... sluts!!!

SlashAndThrash

Post by SlashAndThrash » Mon June 25th, 2012, 3:03 pm

:? :P :wink: :!: :cry: :x
Iron Maiden was the best big concert ive ever been to. They put on a hell of a show. It was killer partying with all of you too, before during and after. Truly one of the best days!
G.O.R.E.
Billy and Agnes wrote:JUST LIKE HAVING A WAAART REMOOOVED

GameFreac

Post by GameFreac » Mon June 25th, 2012, 6:29 pm

Glad I didn't get so drunk that I didn't remember the show but I did get fairly drunk. That was the first time I got drunk at a show ever and it's the same reason I met a lot of people I talk to on here every day and never said anything to before in person. :lol:

Parking lot ruled. Show ruled. Awesome day.

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Tue June 26th, 2012, 6:30 am

GameFreac wrote:Glad I didn't get so drunk that I didn't remember the show but I did get fairly drunk. That was the first time I got drunk at a show ever and it's the same reason I met a lot of people I talk to on here every day and never said anything to before in person. :lol:

Haha nice to finally meet you in person dude!!

Kaganator

Post by Kaganator » Tue June 26th, 2012, 9:12 am

Ryan wrote:
GameFreac wrote:Glad I didn't get so drunk that I didn't remember the show but I did get fairly drunk. That was the first time I got drunk at a show ever and it's the same reason I met a lot of people I talk to on here every day and never said anything to before in person. :lol:

Haha nice to finally meet you in person dude!!
Same here!

Knucklehead

Post by Knucklehead » Tue June 26th, 2012, 10:38 am

So I'm going to get all self-indulgent, for a minute.

My particular trajectory was Ozzy-era Sabbath --> Maiden --> Metallica. And then everything exploded from there. But there was probably a solid year and a half where I lived and breathed Maiden. In fact, Maiden was the first metal show that I went to. I was listening to those first five albums religiously, particularly Killers, The Number of the Beast, and Powerslave. As in, probably once a day, I was throwing one of them on. (Which explains the Maiden v. Priest conversation)

I had wandered on from Maiden between Powerslave and Somewhere in Time, so I don't know those songs very well, or much of them material that comes after.

I have been reluctant to see Maiden since, because that first show was a landmark for me. However, Saturday night was a ton of fun and it also reminded me how Maiden, for me, was some foundational shit. They were a soundtrack for certain segments of my life and those songs have been running through my head constantly since the show.

So, while this show didn't have the whole goose-bump-shivers-wide-eyed-slacked-jaw-awe of that first show, I'm really glad that I went and I'm glad I got to share it with you fuckers.

[/self-indulgence]

stewvee

Post by stewvee » Tue June 26th, 2012, 12:58 pm

Knucklehead wrote: But there was probably a solid year and a half where I lived and breathed Maiden. I was listening to those first five albums religiously, particularly Killers, The Number of the Beast, and Powerslave. As in, probably once a day, I was throwing one of them on.
[/self-indulgence]
Yup. Didn't enjoy this as much as the last time I saw Scorps or Priest: the setlist left a lot to be desired for a close-minded cave-dweller like me. But the moment the Churchill speech excerpt started, the show was worth every scrounged penny. Kinda like paying $30 to hear Slayer play one tune, "Angel of Death."

Moloc

Post by Moloc » Tue June 26th, 2012, 3:03 pm

This was my first (and probably only) time seeing Maiden and it was well worth every grimy penny. It was definitely a goosebump-inducing experience. Hanging out with all you crazy fuckers made it all the more enjoyable.

I missed all but one song of Alice. I missed "School's Out" because I was out dropping 22 bucks on a couple of beers.

I also spent 15 bucks on the jukebox at the Highlander before the show and only got to hear a few songs before the bus left. I probably shouldn't have selected "Rime of the Ancient Mariner."

I did enjoy the Heavy Metal Bus, but I missed seeing Tommy and Jake because of it. Too bad the bus didn't leave earlier.

Oh and this so-called "best fried okra in the city" at The Highlander was "unavailable" that day.

Reading this again makes it sound like a bitch-fest, but I really had the time of my life. As Jager Wolf said, this is something to scratch off my bucket list.

Disregard my petty ramblings... Every bruise is a priceless memento.

Knucklehead

Post by Knucklehead » Tue June 26th, 2012, 3:24 pm

Moloc wrote:I also spent 15 bucks on the jukebox at the Highlander before the show and only got to hear a few songs before the bus left. I probably shouldn't have selected "Rime of the Ancient Mariner."
And we even played "Exciter" (you know, off *that* album) for Sleyja.

sleyja

Post by sleyja » Tue June 26th, 2012, 9:28 pm

Knucklehead wrote:
Moloc wrote:I also spent 15 bucks on the jukebox at the Highlander before the show and only got to hear a few songs before the bus left. I probably shouldn't have selected "Rime of the Ancient Mariner."
And we even played "Exciter" (you know, off *that* album) for Sleyja.
Did this happen?