StrappingYoungLad, Agony Scene, Misery Signals, Reflux 4/29

post your opinions about shows. A full event calendar is available.

Moderators: Brian, Metalfreak, MS_39455, AtlantaMetal Staff

ProstheticHead12

StrappingYoungLad, Agony Scene, Misery Signals, Reflux 4/29

Post by ProstheticHead12 » Fri April 29th, 2005, 6:39 am

Anyone else going to this? I'm excited about SYL and Reflux.
Fuck it, Dude, let's go bowling.

bid

Post by bid » Fri April 29th, 2005, 8:22 am

The entire WREKage seems to be going for this one.
bidyut

Greg
WREKage Staff

Post by Greg » Fri April 29th, 2005, 10:00 am

Yeah, pretty much the whole current Wrekage crew is gonna be there.

Bob is gonna pick up our slack in the studio for anyone who isn't going and feels like taking a long, strange trip back into the early 90's with him on the radio.

holly
WREKage Staff

Post by holly » Fri April 29th, 2005, 10:40 am

*raises hand*
Greg, what time are we going?

bid

Post by bid » Fri April 29th, 2005, 1:57 pm

Just in case you were wondering.. I'm not going tonight.. I'm giving Hitchhiker more priority.
bidyut

holly
WREKage Staff

Post by holly » Fri April 29th, 2005, 4:03 pm

bid wrote:Just in case you were wondering.. I'm not going tonight.. I'm giving Hitchhiker more priority.
Nerd!
:p
<3

Mike
WREKage Staff

Post by Mike » Fri April 29th, 2005, 4:03 pm

bid wrote:Just in case you were wondering.. I'm not going tonight.. I'm giving Hitchhiker more priority.
I wanna hear how it was because I haven't heard good things so far. And I love that book. Be a shame to have an unclever, unfunny movie.

BlazeTSU
AtlantaMetal Staff

Post by BlazeTSU » Fri April 29th, 2005, 8:56 pm

WHY WASN'T THIS POSTED HERE SOONER????? i knew it was coming up, but i rely on these boards for my show announcements and now its too late for me to go! sucks......i'm going to have to start keeping up with show listings from the wrekage main site i guess.

ProstheticHead12

Post by ProstheticHead12 » Sat April 30th, 2005, 12:50 pm

I thought the show was pretty good. Reflux was badass, Misery Signals was forgettable, and the Agony Scene cancelled so SYL got to the stage sooner! Devin's guitar was way down in the mix (for good reason I suppose) and Gene Hoglan is a big dude. Awesome set though and the AC/DC tune to kick off the encore was funny.

After the show I got to preview some of the new Daath with Kevin Talley, Jim Malone's guitar solo and a few other tracks. It's fuckin awesome - I can't wait for the final product to come out.
Fuck it, Dude, let's go bowling.

AmoebicDysentery

Post by AmoebicDysentery » Sun May 1st, 2005, 1:22 am

Yeah, I never realized how big Gene was, either! fucking shit...how can he have such a high endurance!!

I didn't catch Reflux, but I thought the hardcore vs. metal showdown in the pit during uh...whatever the fuck that band was was pretty hillarious.

ratanda
AtlantaMetal Staff

Post by ratanda » Mon May 2nd, 2005, 12:39 pm

Strapping Young Lad was awesome. I didn't expect them to rock out as hard as they did. And playing the first 3 songs of City in a row was just awesome. And ending with Detox was even better. And of course the song SYL. It'd be cool if he could actually say "I fucking hate you" 8 times in a row like he does on the CD, instead of just "fucking hate"

WREKage-Paul
WREKage Staff

Post by WREKage-Paul » Mon May 2nd, 2005, 1:42 pm

Excellent show from SYL -- glad to see someone else agreed that Devy's guitars were low in the mix. Not sure if that's a good or bad thing, but (apropos of nothing :)) he told me after the show that he's imbibing a lot less on the weed now. Many thanks to Devy, and Tracy back at the home-office, for being extra cool.

The sign on the merch counter was almost funnier than Devy's infamous stage banter. :)

Fn Dan

Post by Fn Dan » Mon May 2nd, 2005, 4:10 pm

At times, it actually seemed like they had Devin's and Jed's guitars panned, hard, left and right. Especially when one of them played alone, it was very obvious to hear the guitars were panned. That is a HUGE no-no for live sound mixing, and I'm not sure who's idea that was. When they were playing together though, I couldn't really tell, but it seemed like I was mostly hearing Jed. I don't necessarily think it was because Devin was substanially lower in the mix, although I suspect it was some, but I think it was mostly because of the difference in Devin's and Jed's guitar tones. Jed was using a dryer tone, while Devin had more fuzz, and hence more highs (hehehehe), in his tone. Jed's tone was carrying better, which is always the case with a dryer tone (hint to all guitarists out there, dry out your tone if you want to be heard live!). My biggest complaint of the night was that they had Gene's snare up too high, and I didn't like the way it was EQed, but now I'm just getting nitpicky. ;)

Greg
WREKage Staff

Post by Greg » Mon May 2nd, 2005, 9:43 pm

I had a fucking blast at this show and my neck is still sore as hell. Devy's stomping around in tune with that wide-eyed look on his face with all the chaos going on behind him was one of the coolest things I've seen a frontman do in a while.

Wonder where he gets that energy from... must be from all that extra genitalia he has to lug around. :lol:

holly
WREKage Staff

Post by holly » Mon May 2nd, 2005, 10:23 pm

Greg wrote:I had a fucking blast at this show and my neck is still sore as hell. Devy's stomping around in tune with that wide-eyed look on his face with all the chaos going on behind him was one of the coolest things I've seen a frontman do in a while.

Wonder where he gets that energy from... must be from all that extra genitalia he has to lug around. :lol:
You just said "Devy," by the way.