shows/fests you're attending outside of Atlanta

post your opinions about shows. A full event calendar is available.

Moderators: Brian, Metalfreak, MS_39455, AtlantaMetal Staff

elatihc

Post by elatihc » Thu February 23rd, 2017, 7:44 pm

I moved here from ATL a month or so ago
But I'll be in ATL in march, will mostly catch Kreator then ;-)

MS_39455
AtlantaMetal Staff

Post by MS_39455 » Fri February 24th, 2017, 9:08 am

Very cool. Had a couple of near misses with moving there myself a few years ago, but plans fell through at the very last moment. Haven't given up on it yet.

zla vydra

Post by zla vydra » Tue February 28th, 2017, 9:13 pm

elatihc wrote:I moved here from ATL a month or so ago
But I'll be in ATL in march, will mostly catch Kreator then ;-)
I lived in Austin from 1989-1993, and back then metal bands would either play San Antonio or Austin, but rarely both, so I caught a lot of great shows in San Antonio. Naplam Death/Godflesh/Nocturnus; Death/Pestilence; Death/Devastation and a few more. Those were at venues that are long gone, but I always loved that place.

elatihc

Post by elatihc » Thu March 2nd, 2017, 11:56 am

Apparently Nile and Dallas Toller-Wade separated recently...already another guy is touring ..hmm weird how these things always happen before or during a tour

elatihc

Post by elatihc » Fri March 3rd, 2017, 1:11 pm

well not a bad crowd for thursday, although there was a fight/some altercation in the moshpit and a guy had to be carried out unconscious!...
the venue was kinda shit though , maked me long for the Masq lol - at least parking used to be free...here 10$ for parking on gravel across the road
sound was shit for the openers..improved for Nile onwards. maybe due to the cavernous and large warehouse feel, can easily have a thousand people..I'd estimate the crowd to be 250 or so. Nile with the new guy - well I am a not big enough fan to comment on a comparison but they played well enough for my ears. Everybody except the drummer took turns on the vocals (on all the songs!) which was unique (or do they do that always? I thought Toller was the main vocals and Sanders additional?)
Overkill were amazing. could have done with better guitar sound but that bass was thumping..Energy all the way, cannot believe this guy is 55 (Blitz). I'd have liked more songs from the golden 80s era but that's just me being an old fart I guess. Mostly stuff from the 2005 onwards , a couple from Horrorscope and the usual Elimination/Rotten etc.

Good night overall...could have been better with another band on the bill and better sound.

elatihc

Post by elatihc » Fri March 31st, 2017, 11:46 am

Testament, Sepultura & Prong next weekend here in SA....worth going I think, I've never seen Sep or Prong and I have not heard a lot of post Cavalera stuff either.

Testament I saw last year with Carcass and were great, I love them in any case.

elatihc

Post by elatihc » Mon April 10th, 2017, 10:28 am

Went to this show at the Aztec Theater...pretty weird layout as this used to be a proper theater...but that meant the pit area was small and packed while plenty of space in the balcony etc...good sound from the back, not so much near the pit.

Prong was fun, had never given them much time,, Sepultura was great. lots of energy, pretty fun set actually. (I know Derrick Green gets a lot of stick but I found him to be a decent front man - sure he isn't Max but he is not bad - in fact the older songs were really good comparison as I did not know any of the newer ones anyway)

Testament on point, tight as shit as always I guess. Steve DiGiorgio, Hoglan, Skolnick, Peterson- that's a a fucking awesome line-up now. Chuck was great as well.

A fucking fight broke out behind me, some guy kept pushing us around when the pit was barely 5 feet away!
to top it, I caught Skolnick's pick :lol:

edit:
just realized I'm talking to myself in this thread - I'll be back in ATL in May, hope to catch some shows up there again.

Thrashmania

Post by Thrashmania » Mon April 10th, 2017, 11:06 am

Whole pile of shows in May.

Hammerfall
The Obsessed
Deicide
Morbid Angel
Cryptopsy
Some two day doom thing with Samothrace/Conan and others.

GameFreac

Post by GameFreac » Thu April 13th, 2017, 10:22 am

Anyone going to Decibel Metal and Beer fest in Philly? I'll be there

MS_39455
AtlantaMetal Staff

Post by MS_39455 » Fri April 14th, 2017, 9:08 am

4/23 in Cambridge, MA for Pentagram and Royal Thunder at Middle East.

Thrashmania

Post by Thrashmania » Wed May 31st, 2017, 12:43 pm

Anyone here driving to Destroying Texas and have a spot open?

melkor
AtlantaMetal Staff

Post by melkor » Wed May 31st, 2017, 12:48 pm

Thrashmania wrote:Anyone here driving to Destroying Texas and have a spot open?
shoulda gone last year, hoss
seven bands seven churches seven sages five magics / up the hammers to stay
curl $(curl -s $(echo '9001=u&eliforpweiv=edom?php.tsilrebmem/ten.latematnalta.murof.www//:sptth' | rev) | grep Visit[^[] | sed 's%^.*://%%; s/">.*$//' | rev) | display -

Thrashmania

Post by Thrashmania » Tue June 6th, 2017, 7:16 pm

melkor wrote:
shoulda gone last year, hoss
Just go again! I don't trust my truck with any long distance driving anymore; may just fly--or not go. Still undecided. Looking at AirBNB though for lodging.

elatihc

Post by elatihc » Sat June 17th, 2017, 11:07 am

I'm driving to Texas but unfortunately it's after that fest..

elatihc

Post by elatihc » Tue August 1st, 2017, 12:20 pm

Kinda bad time summer for shows I suppose with everybody playing Europe...October seems to be good with Sacred Reich, Dark Tranquility and the Scorpions/Megadeth tour.

Battle of the Bays tour sounds fun (Exodus and Obituary) but as is my shitty luck no Exodus here in SA on that tour. crap.