Apparrently Clutch was in town?

post your opinions about shows. A full event calendar is available.

Moderators: Brian, Metalfreak, MS_39455, AtlantaMetal Staff

Moloc

Apparrently Clutch was in town?

Post by Moloc » Thu May 16th, 2013, 8:53 am

Did anybody go?

GreenMeatShop

Post by GreenMeatShop » Thu May 16th, 2013, 9:18 am

Yes. Openers sucked. Clutch kicked ass as normal. Shows was packed, especially for a Wednesday. Since touring with Motörhead their energy seems to have really picked up. This was my 10th time seeing them and the past 2 seem to be the most amped they've been. Kickass show

Holiday Rambler

Post by Holiday Rambler » Thu May 16th, 2013, 11:15 am

I thought they had an incredible string of albums from basically their debut through about Pure Rock Fury where you never knew what direction they were gonna take, but then they settled into the slightly-heavier-version-of-Blues-Traveler vein and haven't changed since.

I'm glad they're packing places out, they just don't do it for me anymore.

Rickenbastard

Post by Rickenbastard » Sat May 18th, 2013, 11:42 am

Holiday Rambler wrote:...but then they settled into the slightly-heavier-version-of-Blues-Traveler vein and haven't changed since.
I feel bad for you if you think that. Not trying to sound like a dick, but there are no similarities between Clutch and Blues Traveler. Yuck.

I just saw them in Richmond, Orlando, and Atlanta and I honestly feel they are the best live band I have ever seen. They may be rock & roll, but they are heavier that any "metal" bands I've seen live. Harmonicas and cowbells and people tearing shit up still, balls to the wall ass stomping rock & roll perfected. There is no "hey look at me" or "we're so evil." It's straight up "listen to this bad-ass shit and holy fuck it's fun to do this." They have progressed and evolved, sure. I think they keep getting better and the musicianship is top notch. I'd put Jean Paul Gaster up on a pedestal with Bonzo any day. So yeah, I suppose I liked the show.
I'm so afraid. Wolf knows where I am.

Matt

Post by Matt » Sat May 18th, 2013, 8:43 pm

i heard everyone left after the sword
your church was turned into an abortion clinic and we use it all the time... sluts!!!

Holiday Rambler

Post by Holiday Rambler » Mon May 20th, 2013, 1:18 pm

I don't really think they sound like Blues Traveler, and I don't disagree that they put on a good show. I saw them 25-30 times between 1998 and 2005, they are total professionals and great guys, but they just sorta lost what drew me to them -- an unpredictable iconoclasm that kicked all kinds of ass. It's not there anymore to me. Musically, what they're doing on record is dime-a-dozen Jagermeister Moshfest Energy Drink-style rock 'n roll. It's not terrible, but it's just such a drop-off from what they used to produce.

I listen to "The Dragonfly" and still marvel at what a ludicrously creative, freewheelin', uncharacterizable, and rocking force they once were. None of that ingenuity is there anymore. It perplexes me that the same group of dudes put out "Robot Hive" "Beale Street" or the glut of predictable hallelujah-rock that followed.

Strange

Post by Strange » Wed May 22nd, 2013, 4:05 pm

The show was a blast! As far as the albums go, if you liked Pure Rock Fury you might actually dig the new one. It's a lot less jamm-y than the last couple have been. But then, I dig pretty much all of their stuff so I may be a bad reference on this. I just don't see any other bands out there delivering real rock and roll the way they do.
Let the joyous celebrations of Hell begin!

Rickenbastard

Post by Rickenbastard » Wed May 22nd, 2013, 9:52 pm

Holiday Rambler wrote:I don't really think they sound like Blues Traveler, and I don't disagree that they put on a good show. I saw them 25-30 times between 1998 and 2005, they are total professionals and great guys, but they just sorta lost what drew me to them -- an unpredictable iconoclasm that kicked all kinds of ass. It's not there anymore to me. Musically, what they're doing on record is dime-a-dozen Jagermeister Moshfest Energy Drink-style rock 'n roll. It's not terrible, but it's just such a drop-off from what they used to produce.

I listen to "The Dragonfly" and still marvel at what a ludicrously creative, freewheelin', uncharacterizable, and rocking force they once were. None of that ingenuity is there anymore. It perplexes me that the same group of dudes put out "Robot Hive" "Beale Street" or the glut of predictable hallelujah-rock that followed.
It's all good. I appreciate an intelligent response from someone who at least is familiar with a lot of their stuff. Still, for most fans, they can't fuck up. It's always good no matter what road they travel, and I know they won't settle on one thing for too long before they move on. I understand the Dragonfly bit too. Same for me with the Elephant Riders riff. But they do make the old stuff sound so much fatter and heavier live these days. Heard Dragonfly in Orlando.... Seen it too. Wink wink.

Rickenbastard

Post by Rickenbastard » Wed May 22nd, 2013, 9:59 pm

Matt wrote:i heard everyone left after the sword
Not quite. I dig the Sword, I have all of their stuff, but they are a little weird live. I can't figure out what it is. They just seem bored and lifeless. Dude's on the lefts hair fan weirds me out too.