Pathfinder MetalFest VI

post your opinions about shows. A full event calendar is available.

Moderators: Brian, Metalfreak, MS_39455, AtlantaMetal Staff

pathfinder

Pathfinder MetalFest VI

Post by pathfinder » Wed July 3rd, 2013, 7:37 pm

yeah, I was trying something yet again... and yet again something went awry. This time my headliner - California triple-axe attack melodic metallers LEATHERWOLF - have bailed on us two weeks before the show. Ah well, the undercard was the draw anyway. All this does is save me potential substantial losses. *cough*THE LOFT*cough*

Anyway, here you go. Please consider coming out to Marietta on July 13th for what should prove to be a truly dynamic show with five amazing bands. We have a young act - INFECTIOUS - kicking things off with their debut CD release party... Chicago's melodic prog/power outfit DIVINITY COMPROMISED... Indiana's dark, symphonic, progressive DRAEKON making their return... Atlanta's heavy thrashers DEATH OF KINGS... and Pittsburgh doom-tinged heavy metal veterans ARGUS.

go to the I_LOVE_ZUCKERPENIS event page for links to each band: https://www.I_LOVE_ZUCKERPENIS.com/events/629420987073984/

for 12 bucks, you can't beat the talent on stage July 13th in Marietta! Hope to see you there! :)

Thrashmania

Post by Thrashmania » Wed July 3rd, 2013, 11:13 pm

I know nothing about any of the bands outside Death of Kings, anyone have insight?

TheKshatriya

Post by TheKshatriya » Thu July 4th, 2013, 1:56 am

Dont know any these bands are aside from death of kings, but this is just a show, not a festival.

Generubin

Post by Generubin » Thu July 4th, 2013, 7:37 am

I don't think even nine bands should be considered a festival. It's just a big show with nine band. The time that Raven played the turnout wasn't even large enough to be a festival.
BlackRoija wrote:Cut your hair and worship Jesus

pathfinder

Post by pathfinder » Thu July 4th, 2013, 8:39 pm

sorry this isn't your best friends' bands playing yet another weekend in east Atlanta.

If you don;t want to learn about some great regional acts that you may not come to know for a while longer, then stay at home.

who's to say how many bands make a fest? It's just a name. A show. An event. A fest. We're all just trying to have a great time with some dynamic metal acts who want to come to Atlanta and play for YOU.

ben

Post by ben » Thu July 4th, 2013, 10:33 pm

It's also some clever wording - you see that this band you kinda like called Argus is playing but it's a five-band bill with a bunch of bands you've never heard of, you'll probably groan and roll your eyes, and say to yourself "I'll just show up at the last moment" or you may even say "12 bucks to see argus and a bunch of no-name bands? Fuck it, I'll just stay home."

But if it's a FESTIVAL that FUCKIN' ARGUS is headlining and IT'S ONLY 12 BUCKS you may be a bit more inclined (I mean STOKED) to go...

..at least that's my take on the whole name situation (which I was a bit curious about looking at it originally, too). And mind you, these other bands could be great for all I know (and what I do know is little)

EDIT: I now see there are three out-of-state bands playing. So maybe that has something to do with it not being called a mere 'show'?
And I noticed that this is the SIXTH pathfinder fest. Maybe the first couple years had a lot more bands so it was easier to justify calling it a festival then, and now why would you change the name just because there are only five bands? (Was supposed to be six originally, which would make FOUR out-of-state bands)

..this always seems to happen when I try making a huge rebuttal on the Internet, haha

zekeyou

Post by zekeyou » Fri July 5th, 2013, 7:41 am

Would love to make it to Argus, but it's not in the cards. Their two full-length albums are excellent.

From the debut--
The Damnation of John Faustus
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJe4Zwh7JCw

From Boldly Stride the Doomed--
Wolves of Dusk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4YHfeeN4go

Knucklehead

Post by Knucklehead » Fri July 5th, 2013, 9:26 am

I'm pretty sure that we discussed this all before.

Dude wants to bring bands to ATL that wouldn't otherwise come here. (Fucking Raven!). More power to him, even most of the bands he brings don't match my taste. Music is bigger than words and wider than pictures. People come to these shows, so he is filling a need.

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Fri July 5th, 2013, 10:10 am

Argus is pretty rad.
<a href="http://spewtilator.bandcamp.com">SPEWTILATOR</a> - Badass motherfuckin' street cops with nothing to lose who don't play by the rules and are out for blood.
Tricalibur wrote:I am looking for Skullcrusher and Dynamo.

Thrashmania

Post by Thrashmania » Fri July 5th, 2013, 11:00 am

pathfinder wrote:sorry this isn't your best friends' bands playing yet another weekend in east Atlanta.

If you don;t want to learn about some great regional acts that you may not come to know for a while longer, then stay at home.

who's to say how many bands make a fest? It's just a name. A show. An event. A fest. We're all just trying to have a great time with some dynamic metal acts who want to come to Atlanta and play for YOU.
Ugh. I think I will stay at home. The bands might rule (not familiar), but you clearly don't.

pathfinder

Post by pathfinder » Fri July 5th, 2013, 3:47 pm

Thrashmania wrote:
pathfinder wrote:sorry this isn't your best friends' bands playing yet another weekend in east Atlanta.

Ugh. I think I will stay at home. The bands might rule (not familiar), but you clearly don't.
never said I did.

Brian
WREKage Staff

Post by Brian » Fri July 5th, 2013, 4:05 pm

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/IRtrVs9jL_0?version=3 ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/IRtrVs9jL_0?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

pathfinder

Post by pathfinder » Fri July 5th, 2013, 4:09 pm

Knucklehead wrote:I'm pretty sure that we discussed this all before.

Dude wants to bring bands to ATL that wouldn't otherwise come here. (Fucking Raven!). More power to him, even most of the bands he brings don't match my taste. Music is bigger than words and wider than pictures. People come to these shows, so he is filling a need.
thanks again for the compliments. Yes, I am trying. I find bands at other shows and fests that I believe would do well in a club environment and let them know they are welcome to come down when they are ready. After almost a year, ARGUS is finally ready.
At the same time they hit me up, Divinity Compromised from Chicago hit me up. And then Leatherwolf also asked me for a date in Atlanta. So instead of trying to promote three separate shows between mid-June and mid-July, I asked them all if they'd want to try a mini-metal-fest.
I asked Colossus from NC (veterans of The Drunken Unicorn) to be a part of this show. But the date we settled on did not appeal to their calendar. So I turned my attention to the local acts for added support. When the dust settled, all that remained (of about 7 total bands) was the five listed above. Draekon were the surprise hit of the show last July (with While Heaven Wept & Theocracy). So I asked them back since Colossus couldn't commit. Plus it would allow them to travel along with Divinity Compromised and perform a couple of shows on the way here (both have connections in the Carolinas). So you see, I try to watch out for the bands who perform with us here in Atlanta. ;)

anyway, I just thought I'd post the show in here for the couple or three folks who might enjoy this style of traditional/prog/power style metal, and of course the thrash element from Death of Kings - who are super-stoked to be a part of this. And I'm stoked to have them. I love working with those guys.

No, it's not a true 'fest' in every sense of the word. But we're gonna make it seem like one for a few hours that night. :D

by the way, I forgot to mention that there will be a 79 minute compilation cd given out to the first 150 people through the door. So that alone should be worth the $12 admission price.

since you referenced the prior fest thread concerning the Raven show at The Loft, let me share something with you. Some folks here on these forums (and only on these forums) have complained in the past about the 'glorified sports bar' I utilize in Marietta. So I tried something different last November by hosting a show in The Loft in midtown Atlanta. Doing that lost me literally 4 times as much money than if I'd kept it in Marietta. A harsh lesson learned indeed.

Knucklehead

Post by Knucklehead » Fri July 5th, 2013, 4:42 pm

pathfinder wrote:
Thrashmania wrote:
never said I did.
The problem is, you're sounding dismissive of a very robust local scene, which I am assuming that you didn't intend. Afterall, Death of Kings is on this bill.

TheKshatriya

Post by TheKshatriya » Fri July 5th, 2013, 5:34 pm

ben wrote:It's also some clever wording - you see that this band you kinda like called Argus is playing but it's a five-band bill with a bunch of bands you've never heard of, you'll probably groan and roll your eyes, and say to yourself "I'll just show up at the last moment" or you may even say "12 bucks to see argus and a bunch of no-name bands? Fuck it, I'll just stay home."

But if it's a FESTIVAL that FUCKIN' ARGUS is headlining and IT'S ONLY 12 BUCKS you may be a bit more inclined (I mean STOKED) to go...

..at least that's my take on the whole name situation (which I was a bit curious about looking at it originally, too). And mind you, these other bands could be great for all I know (and what I do know is little)

EDIT: I now see there are three out-of-state bands playing. So maybe that has something to do with it not being called a mere 'show'?
And I noticed that this is the SIXTH pathfinder fest. Maybe the first couple years had a lot more bands so it was easier to justify calling it a festival then, and now why would you change the name just because there are only five bands? (Was supposed to be six originally, which would make FOUR out-of-state bands)

..this always seems to happen when I try making a huge rebuttal on the Internet, haha
I dont see it that way at at all.

I wasn't saying fuck this show, just saying that it isnt a fest.