KING DIAMOND - Oct 11

post your opinions about shows. A full event calendar is available.

Moderators: Brian, Metalfreak, MS_39455, AtlantaMetal Staff

Diana

Post by Diana » Fri June 27th, 2014, 5:31 am

These tickets go on sale at 10. So of course my annual review is at 9:30.

I have set my iphone alarm for 10 so that if this meeting runs over, "Pest Teufel Apokalypse" will helpfully remind everyone that my time is very valuable.

GameFreac

Post by GameFreac » Fri June 27th, 2014, 9:10 am

I have at break at work starting at 10am every day so it worked out for me. Got it.

Diana

Post by Diana » Fri June 27th, 2014, 9:23 am

I got it!! Now to use the executive color printer...

Knucklehead

Post by Knucklehead » Fri June 27th, 2014, 10:51 am

I don't get it. I just listened to Abigail, in an attempt to understand why everyone is so hyped about KD. This is the third time that I've sampled KD: the first back in the day, when Don't Break the Oath was just released; a couple of years back, when people here were talking about KD; and just now.

All I heard was riffs ripped off from Maiden or Motley Crue, with laughably horrible vocals. Like make-the-muscles-in-my-lower-back-began-to-contract-and-my-teeth-began-to-grind-in-a-bad-way horrible. I just don't understand the attraction to KD or MF. There is some cool imagery and, I understand, some great story-telling, but the music is pretty underwhelming. And those vocals. Jesus.

I think I'll listen to DMDS, next, to purge.

Diana

Post by Diana » Fri June 27th, 2014, 3:39 pm

I was around 13 years old, watching "Night Flight" or whatever that thing was called, sleeping over at my friend's house. I was pretty much just really excited about being up past midnight. My friend fell asleep first, so I was awesome.

And then suddenly there appeared on the television a shrieking demon in facepaint, dancing through a fake looking cemetery, if I remember correctly, just wailing and cavorting and worshiping the devil, taking it all very seriously. Too stunned to even wake my friend up, all I could do was gape.

I was raised Catholic. My thoughts, in order:

1. Holy shit, what is this?
2. Wait -- is this why my parents make me go to bed early?
3. Is he worshiping the devil?
4. In a cape?
5. Fuck it, I'm in. Sign me up. Forever. Screw jesus.

And as the video credit popped up:
6. King Diamond. Don't forget that name. King Diamond. REMEMBER IT.

I never did get into his later music, but I love the shit out of some Mercyful Fate. And even if I hated Fate, I would still want this cat to have all my money, just for dancing around the cemetery in a cape and rewiring my brain.

KD 4 LYF

PS: My friend's name was Melissa, and I am not making that up. Coincidence? I THINK NOT.

Azrael

Post by Azrael » Fri June 27th, 2014, 6:00 pm

Knucklehead wrote:I don't get it. I just listened to Abigail, in an attempt to understand why everyone is so hyped about KD. This is the third time that I've sampled KD: the first back in the day, when Don't Break the Oath was just released; a couple of years back, when people here were talking about KD; and just now.

All I heard was riffs ripped off from Maiden or Motley Crue, with laughably horrible vocals. Like make-the-muscles-in-my-lower-back-began-to-contract-and-my-teeth-began-to-grind-in-a-bad-way horrible. I just don't understand the attraction to KD or MF. There is some cool imagery and, I understand, some great story-telling, but the music is pretty underwhelming. And those vocals. Jesus.

It's finally happened, Scoot loses points

melkor
AtlantaMetal Staff

Post by melkor » Fri June 27th, 2014, 6:41 pm

Knucklehead wrote:I don't get it. I just listened to Abigail, in an attempt to understand why everyone is so hyped about KD. This is the third time that I've sampled KD: the first back in the day, when Don't Break the Oath was just released; a couple of years back, when people here were talking about KD; and just now.

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/4kRTASg9sh8?version=3 ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/4kRTASg9sh8?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
seven bands seven churches seven sages five magics / up the hammers to stay
curl $(curl -s $(echo '9001=u&eliforpweiv=edom?php.tsilrebmem/ten.latematnalta.murof.www//:sptth' | rev) | grep Visit[^[] | sed 's%^.*://%%; s/">.*$//' | rev) | display -

Knucklehead

Post by Knucklehead » Fri June 27th, 2014, 7:15 pm

Azrael wrote:

It's finally happened, Scoot loses points
I'm surprised I fooled you this long.
Last edited by Knucklehead on Sat June 28th, 2014, 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

stewvee

Post by stewvee » Fri June 27th, 2014, 10:25 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Brian wrote:dance, monkey, dance!!
http://chipsandbeermag.tumblr.com/

Brian
WREKage Staff

Post by Brian » Sat June 28th, 2014, 8:37 am

You going, Stew?

Knucklehead

Post by Knucklehead » Sat June 28th, 2014, 12:31 pm

While you all are enjoying the King, Stewart and I will be at 97 Estoria, slamming beer and doing shots.

TheKshatriya

Post by TheKshatriya » Sun June 29th, 2014, 2:54 am

Theres no way this sold out already... Just looked and said tickets werent available.

zekeyou

Post by zekeyou » Sun June 29th, 2014, 4:17 am

TheKshatriya wrote:Theres no way this sold out already... Just looked and said tickets werent available.
I just checked and tix were still available.

Azrael

Post by Azrael » Sun June 29th, 2014, 6:53 am

I just went and there were tickets

TheKshatriya

Post by TheKshatriya » Sun June 29th, 2014, 7:09 pm

Just looked again and they were up. Going to the box office to avoid the ridiculous fees though.