MDF XIV

post your opinions about shows. A full event calendar is available.

Moderators: Brian, Metalfreak, MS_39455, AtlantaMetal Staff

Thrashmania

Post by Thrashmania » Tue May 31st, 2016, 5:33 pm

Now that I've mostly recovered, had plenty of coffee and read my Amazing Spider-Man comics that were waiting for me, allow me to elaborate on my vague one liners from ye ole I_LOVE_ZUCKERPENIS

It was a good year--a HOT year (Sunday excluded, rain N all).

Thursday: Got good and drunk, thoroughly enjoyed the hell out of Crypt Sermon. Putrid Pile was good too, they (he) were (was) the only set we saw at Soundstage. We spent the majority of our time drinking and eating pizza in the little area outside of Rams Head. Watched a few songs of Bongripper, watched most of Goblin. Goblin was okay.

Friday: Got to Edison Lot first thing for Horrendous and Centinex. Promptly got my pina colada and went to the stages. Horrendous would have fared better not in the open air--the solos and harmonies were lost to the wind. Centinex was fantastic and deserved to play at a later time, zero reason they should've played at 3:30 in the goddamn afternoon.

Sat and rested my dogs for Novembers Doom, they were Novembers Doom. Wormed was also okay (would have been better inside--which they actually played at Soundstage on Saturday as well to cover for Discharge bailing at the last second. I missed that set), good enough for me to stand and watch them.

Sat for most of Khold, until they covered Troops of Doom--then I went up to the stage.

Sinister had flight cancellations left and right and couldn't make it to MDF (Were there a record number of cancellations this year? I think so.) so Gruesome took their spot. They were great. Scream Bloody Gore era Death version 2.0 basically, I'm okay with Matt just forgetting about Exhumed and doing this full time.

We left after this, got food, took a dump in the hotel and made it to Rams Head for Svarttjern. They were my favorite of the day. Front man was half funny half creepy, he would do shirtless belly jiggle air humps then drool his drink on himself and rub it down and stick his hand in his pants. This did not happen just once, this happened over and over during the set. Those antics aside, fucking killer set. Secrets of the Moon was surprisingly enjoyable for me, I've never listened to them before because I'm bias against band names like that. Reminded me of a slightly less interesting Emptiness. We decided to leave for Soundstage, based that we're going to be seeing Angelcorpse in Chicago, to go see Repulsion. They were Repulsion and were good.

Saturday: Didn't make it til half way through Tulus--spent most of my time in line for another pina colada and was happy to hear them cover Slowly We Rot. Hirax was good, another old thrash band I can cross off my list, Atrophy was better. Ratanda put it pretty well, "They're not so much killing it, as doing really good at just being okay". Hail of Bullets sans Van Drunen was a very average experience. Was good, could have been better.

We ate chicken on a stick while watching Impaled Nazarene, they were also good but we left after the chicken disappeared from the stick because I wanted to watch General Surgery. Fucking loved General Surgery.

We went from that set over to Rams Head for Auroch--it was about this time that the whiskey became like water for me. I was so incredibly excited to see Auroch, but they were too loud which caused a jumbled mess of instrument sounds. Even broke down and shoved some tissue in my ears. It was still alright, but could have been way better. I watched a few songs of Saturnalia Temple, then went outside to drink way more. Saw some naked lady butt dancing on a bar, that was nice. Then went in for Grave Miasma. They murdered everything and stole the show of the day for me. My lady liked them the most of the whole fest. Dragged into Sunlight was good, Craft was good.

Sunday: I missed Denouncement Pyre and Nocturnal Graves completely, didn't manage to show up until Desaster, but did have delicious biscuits and gravy. I really enjoyed Desaster but wish more of the setlist was off A Touch of Medieval Darkness. Bongzilla was very Boringzilla, which was a bummer. I had no clue who Interment was, Snoddy said they were 'Swedeath', so I watched, and they were. It was good. Incantation went on and played in true Incantation style, which is all awesome all the time. Their set is when the rain started coming, it never got too bad, but enough to keep you pretty moist.

Then Demolition Hammer happened. And everything was destroyed. And I blew my goddamn brains out and loved every second of it. I was very impressed and happy with their set. Was a mix of half Tortured Existence and Epidemic of Violence. Naturally my favorite of the whole weekend. Loved it. Then Satan played and were good, but when you're immediately following Demolition Hammer for me, good luck--I was still riding out the high from Demo Hammer.

We bailed to go catch Mitochondrion. They ruled. Zhrine was okay--we zonked out before Mystifier even took stage :*(.

Cancellations:
Destroyer 666
Thulcandra
Sinister
Discharge
Svartidauadi
Malignancy
Lord Belial
Dopethrone
Infernal Revulsion
Serpent Throne

and I'm sure there are others I can't think of
Last edited by Thrashmania on Tue May 31st, 2016, 10:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Thrashmania

Post by Thrashmania » Tue May 31st, 2016, 5:34 pm

Knucklehead wrote:I've read on FB that Craft were disappointing. The thought seems to be that they aren't really a live band, but a bunch of nerds that are playing live.
Pretty accurate...still good and worth watching.

melkor
AtlantaMetal Staff

Post by melkor » Tue May 31st, 2016, 5:59 pm

I'm happy you gave us food and drink updates as much as bands.

You should go for Thursday for Metal Threat to see D666 for real.
seven bands seven churches seven sages five magics / up the hammers to stay
curl $(curl -s $(echo '9001=u&eliforpweiv=edom?php.tsilrebmem/ten.latematnalta.murof.www//:sptth' | rev) | grep Visit[^[] | sed 's%^.*://%%; s/">.*$//' | rev) | display -

Thrashmania

Post by Thrashmania » Tue May 31st, 2016, 6:31 pm

melkor wrote:You should go for Thursday for Metal Threat to see D666 for real.
We are.

elatihc

Post by elatihc » Tue May 31st, 2016, 9:00 pm

Thrashmania wrote:Then Demolition Hammer happened. And everything was destroyed. And I blew my goddamn brains out and loved every second of it. I was very impressed and happy with their set. Was a mix of half Tortured Existence and Epidemic of Violence. Naturally my favorite of the whole weekend. Loved it. ..
:x
Hopefully I can catch DH sometime this year though..somewhere..

ratanda
AtlantaMetal Staff

Post by ratanda » Thu June 2nd, 2016, 8:20 pm

Thursday
As soon as we checked into the hotel Eric and I got wasted on a goddamn pirate boat that circled the Inner Harbor. Then saw Dehumanized who completely ruled. Then we ate or something and caught Goblin were great. I think I saw a different Goblin in Atlanta, and I liked this one more. Saw a little of Jungle Rot and Buzzov*en.

Friday
Ate lunch at the Cross Street Market in downtown Baltimore/Inner Harbor area. It's similar to the Sweet Auburn Market here in Atlanta. It's not quite crab season yet but they did have soft shelled crab. Not bad. Every time I order I think it'll be great but I'm underwhelmed every time.

Walked to Edison and caught Horrendous who weren't bad. Much more prog than I expected. I was really looking forward to Centinex and seeing them at 3:30 in the afternoon kind of sucked. Solid set though. Wormed were very good. Gruesome were great, I had heard of them but didn't know what to expect. Nice cover of Open Casket. The Haunted was good when they played the 3 or 4 songs I knew. Paradise Lost was awesome and my favorite of the day. They played mostly older stuff and stuff from the newest album. I watched some of Samael, and it was ok. Caught a song or two of Mayhem. Didn't really care since they just played here.

Made it to Sound Stage and caught the last couple of songs of Rotten Sound, and wished I had seen more. Caught all of Repulsion's set where they played all of Horrified plus covered Hammered by Motorhead. Great set. Saw some of Angelcorpse and it was good. Then proceeded to party it up.

Saturday
Arrived for Hirax who were really good. Katan had awesome energy and great stage presence. Atrophy were good. Not awesome, but good. A little kid participated in the circle pit. Hail of Bullets was just ok and I blame that on Dave Ingram. Was really hoping for Inferno at the Carpathian Mountains, but we got Ordered Eastward which was good.

Unfortunately only caught a bit of Impaled Nazarene so we could make our way to see General Surgery who were very good. Caught a bit of Auroch but the sound was not good at all. Caught all of Haemorrhage who played a good, fun set. Their sound also lacked at first but seemed to get better as the set progressed.

Walked back to Edison to catch about four songs of Testament playing songs I’ve seen before, which were good. Walked back to catch some of Grave Miasma. Saw a bit of Dragged Into Sunlight. I might have saw some of Craft. Back to the hotels for more drinking and hanging out.

Sunday
Finally crawled out of bed around 1 or 2 and grabbed lunch at an awesome nearby brick oven/sandwich shop in Little Italy. Napped away the hangover a bit more and made it to Edison to see Interment. Good, but would be far better if they put these Swedish death metal bands later in the day. The rain didn’t help. Headed to Sound Stage for Putrescence who were good and fun with selections like, “Kill Yourself and Shit Your Pants.â€Â￾ Took an Uber back to Edison for DEMOLITION HAMMER. Fantastic set. Like Cody said, a good mix from both albums (I don’t count the third). They were super tight and Steve Reynolds never forgot to remind us how sick we were or ask to confirm how long we’ve been waiting for this.

Satan played right after and started with Trial By Fire, the song I most wanted to see. After another song or two we headed to Rams Head for Phobocosm who were awesome. I liked what I had heard previously so it was great that they lived up to it live. Caught some of Tragedy and it was good. Only heard one or two songs I recognized and then we headed back to Rams Head for Mitochondrion. The sound sucked which was very unfortunate since I like what I’ve heard and was looking forward to them. More like Mito-yawn-drion really.

Back to Soundstage for Doom who killed it. Really awesome set. They covered Symptom of The Universe which put it over the top for me. Then back to the hotels for a little more subdued partying and goodbyes to everyone.

theRothstanator

Post by theRothstanator » Fri June 3rd, 2016, 3:46 pm

Sounds like Dan had a good time :lol:

Ugh forgot about Saturnalia Temple. My wallet is glad I didn't go, though.
"Other than shame and guilt I am fine." - Melkor