Maryland Deathfest -- MDF 2020

post your opinions about shows. A full event calendar is available.

Moderators: Brian, Metalfreak, MS_39455, AtlantaMetal Staff

melkor
AtlantaMetal Staff

Re: Maryland Deathfest -- MDF 2020

Post by melkor » Mon May 30th, 2022, 2:03 pm

awe-some and ex-awe-sting. also killer to see a good showing from the atl folx

major hails to dr scholls orthopaedic insoles and compression stockings. no swollen feet this year (but still plenty of soreness)

a word on sound: I was really impressed all around with the pa sound quality at all venues. the edison lot stages especially had great sound if you were up front. go back and it would be hit or miss. the indoor venues were great all around as well. no major issues except for when the complete left side of the pa went out twice during hypocrisy's set

favorites of the weekend in chronological order: rottrevore, demolition hammer, autopsy, triptykon, impaled, and "hellhammer"

of course, nearly as awesome sets from the following: malformity, putrid pile, mortiferum, the frizzi set, acid witch, mortician, panzerfaust, pink mass, cardiac arrest, imprecation, cancer, coroner, "the cavalera experience," divine eve, demilich, destruction, hypocrisy, scorched, profanatica, and birdflesh.

there was a large number of shit I missed out on either due to conflicts or needing a sit down break: pyrexia, ruins of beverast, squash bowels (tho saw them in 2019), ghoul, necrophobic, "pungent stench," deicide, exhorder, dark fortress. maybe next time

absolutely no disappointments but there were some sets I which I would have enjoyed more. it was noted that the current live lineup is really "kelly schaefer & the atheists" (steve flynn was not present) and while they played a tight and energetic set, it was hard to get excited for. same with onslaught; tho nige was apparently present at the fest, he was not on stage with the band. so no original members were actually on stage playing the songs.

there were some "unspeakable acts" that occurred during autopsy's set. they were photographically and videographically documented. I suggest you search for them if you are unaware

there's also a story about will rahmer being will rahmer but I'll save that one for someone else to tell
seven bands seven churches seven sages five magics / up the hammers to stay
curl $(curl -s $(echo '9001=u&eliforpweiv=edom?php.tsilrebmem/ten.latematnalta.murof.www//:sptth' | rev) | grep Visit[^[] | sed 's%^.*://%%; s/">.*$//' | rev) | display -

Knucklehead

Post by Knucklehead » Sat June 4th, 2022, 12:10 pm

I had a fantastic time at MDF — because of a snafu I missed Demo Hammer Friday night. We bought tickets late and only had passes for Edison. In retroepect, I don’t know that we would have made it to the other venues. It’s not that there weren’t bands I wanted to see — I would have loved to see Pat playing with Profanatica or Sacramentum. But there were either conflicts or we were just done by the time Edison was over.

We caught the first act Saturday morning, which was Cardiac Arrest and stayed all the way through. Highlights were Cardiac Arrest, Enforced, and Triptykon.

Sunday we caught brunch with a friend at Miss Shirley’s Cafe, so missed Nunslaughter. Standouts were Demilich and, of course, “Hellhammer”. It made the trip entirely worth it.

In fact, I caught Covid there (vaxxed and double boosted) and have zero regrets.

melkor
AtlantaMetal Staff

Post by melkor » Sat June 4th, 2022, 2:11 pm

Knucklehead wrote:
Sat June 4th, 2022, 12:10 pm
In fact, I caught Covid there (vaxxed and double boosted) and have zero regrets.
yeah I noticed going in on thursday that the cdc had marked baltimore as a "high" transmission area (orange). "luckily" I had already had it a month previously. no fun at toll

oh yeah, also saw ross sewage hock a loogie in some chick's mouth during impaled's set. nice. meanwhile, dr. jason (at least I think it was him) was all masked up onstage and also playing a steinberger
curl $(curl -s $(echo '9001=u&eliforpweiv=edom?php.tsilrebmem/ten.latematnalta.murof.www//:sptth' | rev) | grep Visit[^[] | sed 's%^.*://%%; s/">.*$//' | rev) | display -

zla vydra

Post by zla vydra » Mon June 6th, 2022, 3:46 pm

"nige was apparently present at the fest, he was not on stage with the band. so no original members were actually on stage playing the songs."

Seriously? What the fuck? I like that new-ish album. Singer has the pefect thrash voice.

melkor
AtlantaMetal Staff

Post by melkor » Mon June 6th, 2022, 7:28 pm

zla vydra wrote:
Mon June 6th, 2022, 3:46 pm
"nige was apparently present at the fest, he was not on stage with the band. so no original members were actually on stage playing the songs."

Seriously? What the fuck? I like that new-ish album. Singer has the pefect thrash voice.
yeah. there was some explanation but I forgot what it was. like he was injured or something

Knucklehead

Post by Knucklehead » Tue June 7th, 2022, 11:00 am

melkor wrote:
Mon June 6th, 2022, 7:28 pm
zla vydra wrote:
Mon June 6th, 2022, 3:46 pm

yeah. there was some explanation but I forgot what it was. like he was injured or something
I didn't catch it, either. It was a little strange.

But he did come onstage at one point, because he was presented with induction into the Heavy Metal Hall of Fame. I didn't know there was one or who that dude was.