WREKage host tree

discuss the radio show WREKage

Moderators: Brian, Metalfreak, MS_39455, WREKage Staff

soulvoid

Post by soulvoid » Tue October 19th, 2004, 2:57 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-ho!!y+Oct 19 2004, 05:42 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ho!!y @ Oct 19 2004, 05:42 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> <!--QuoteBegin-soulvoid+Oct 14 2004, 01:15 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (soulvoid &#064; Oct 14 2004, 01:15 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> ...killed everyone on Friday's with the entire Victory Records catalouge... [/quote]
Ha, sounds like a man after my own heart. [/quote]
Yeah, you would have loved Kevin. But ALL HC isn't the way to run a 6 hour shift , even you could admit that.

holly
WREKage Staff

Post by holly » Wed October 20th, 2004, 1:04 am

<!--QuoteBegin-soulvoid+Oct 19 2004, 02:57 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (soulvoid @ Oct 19 2004, 02:57 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> <!--QuoteBegin-ho!!y+Oct 19 2004, 05:42 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ho!!y &#064; Oct 19 2004, 05:42 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> <!--QuoteBegin-soulvoid+Oct 14 2004, 01:15 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (soulvoid &#064; Oct 14 2004, 01:15 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> ...killed everyone on Friday's with the entire Victory Records catalouge... [/quote]
Ha, sounds like a man after my own heart. [/quote]
Yeah, you would have loved Kevin. But ALL HC isn't the way to run a 6 hour shift , even you could admit that. [/quote]
Truth!
I love the 'core, but, truth be told, I've been listening to metal for a longer time.
I dunno what it is about hardcore that reeled me in so deep...

DeathfareDevil

Post by DeathfareDevil » Tue December 14th, 2004, 6:56 am

During the reign of Jonathan and Sam, Jim "Lamentations Of The Flame Princess" Raggi would host in the same capacity that Paul does now -- sort of a part-time proggish/powerish-metal thing. 'Twas his selections that introduced me to Devin Townsend, something for which I could never be grateful enough. (There was a strange and even starker contrast in those days, eg: Luca Turilli's hymns to elves immediately after two solid hours of Lividity, Anal Blast, Pyrexia, Dying Fetus, et al. Of course, such was good for Jonathan and Sam's "editorializing.")

Speaking of "those days," didn't someone drive a nail through his own hand/arm during a broadcast?

Should Exterminator Tim read this: Was it you who used the phrase "tonight we have a veritable buttload of metal"? My earliest memories of WREKage somehow involve this odd refrain. God I miss those days. :b4ldm3t4l: Well, wait. I was in high school then, so maybe I don't miss them too much.

Oh, and WREKage stories? Yes, please.

bid

Post by bid » Tue December 14th, 2004, 4:13 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-DeathfareDevil+Dec 14 2004, 06:56 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (DeathfareDevil @ Dec 14 2004, 06:56 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Speaking of "those days," didn't someone drive a nail through his own hand/arm during a broadcast? [/quote]
Yeah that happened soon before I got the show.
bidyut

WREKage-Paul
WREKage Staff

Post by WREKage-Paul » Thu December 16th, 2004, 7:42 am

Jim's role was more like Steve Cannon's current role with the show, since, like Steve, Jim never actually worked the control board, but showed up some weeks and brought things to play. Usually it'd be during my part of the show, since I was a bit more...umm...lenient than Jonathan or Sam. Jim's online LotFP Forum -- and listener complaints about the show's format back then -- was directly responsible for my taking an active role as a community host (i.e., working the control console) during the early spring of 1998, where I've been ever since.

Interesting that Jim was the one who introduced you to Devin Townsend back then. Years later, he and I were Devy's co-sponsors for ProgPower USA back in....umm...2002. And that was an ad-hoc thing, since the original plan was for us to co-sponsor Opeth. It almost happened, too.

Ah, yes, the Screw Guy incident. I have one remaining photo of the actual arm and/or screw. A friend of ours ("King Kong" for those who might know him by his production-name) took more photos in the studio that night, but I've never seen 'em. THAT would be a fun archive tape to have.

There are a lot of WREKage stories, some of which can now be told, since the statute of limitations has expired. :o Who can forget the Night of Narcolepsy, featuring homemade pyrotechnics (okay, maybe not -technics), a rather surprised (and certainly flammable) copy of Creative Loafing, and the dumpster outside the old building entrance? :lol:

Community host for WREKage
www.wrekage.org
Friday night, midnight 'til we get tired, 91.1 FM

bid

Post by bid » Wed December 22nd, 2004, 11:13 am

How about the one with Bobnoxious running after me with a broom becuz I wanted to quit early :P
bidyut

DarkWolfen

Post by DarkWolfen » Wed December 29th, 2004, 12:36 pm

What will it do to the tree when Greg leaves in April? Who will fill his shoes?

Bid, since you left the show what have yuu been doing?

bid

Post by bid » Thu December 30th, 2004, 4:42 pm

DarkWolfen wrote:Bid, since you left the show what have yuu been doing?
Working like a slave. Pretty much. But I did try and dropped by a couple of times. In fact in a few cases I managed to be there for an hour or so. I miss those days, but it would have been har dto continue anyways.
bidyut

WREKage-Paul
WREKage Staff

Post by WREKage-Paul » Fri December 31st, 2004, 5:11 am

Besides, Bid's got a nice new ride. :P

exterminator-x

Post by exterminator-x » Thu August 18th, 2005, 3:23 pm

DeathfareDevil wrote: Should Exterminator Tim read this: Was it you who used the phrase "tonight we have a veritable buttload of metal"? My earliest memories of WREKage somehow involve this odd refrain. God I miss those days. :b4ldm3t4l: Well, wait. I was in high school then, so maybe I don't miss them too much.
lifetime ago, nearly...

BTW... to complete your host tree, in 1988 I took over from Carl Carlsson and "Diamond" Mike Tucker. As far I as I know, Carlsson and Tucker started the show, but I could be wrong.

Diamond Mike

Yep, that'd be us

Post by Diamond Mike » Tue September 19th, 2006, 8:19 am

Just found this site and the official WREKage site by accident. Man has it brought back some great memories of hosting the show and some icky memories of dealing with WREK management *coughKincaid!*. Carl "Bon Jovi" Carlsson actually took over Night Reign from the two-toned hair dude (can't remember his name) and I became co-host soon after. We were fired after a spicy interview with Zeus Cosmos, leader of the Nudist Christian Church and 3rd coming of Christ (he was here in 70 A.D. but we missed it). ACLU stepped in and GM Ashley Slappy (that's his real name, I swear) caved and we were brought back about 6-8 months later. Carl had had enough by that point and I did the show solo for a while but couldn't behave myself. I was suspended again for searching for backward messages in R.E.M. records (yes, we were still spinning records then) and had had enough myself at that point. Tim took over and WREKage was that much better for it.

One thing I'd forgotten about until seeing this thread was the fun we used to have with the rap show that was on before us on Thursday nights. DJ JD was pretty damn talented with the turntables and we did a couple of experiments with the transition between the shows. He zeroed in on Tommy Araya either screaming or shouting "DEATH" and did some awesome scratching and mixing with it. Hell with Aerosmith and Run DMC. DJ JD was the first with this crossover.

Thanks again for bringing back some fun memories.

Metalfreak

Post by Metalfreak » Tue September 19th, 2006, 10:14 am

this is pretty damn cool to read. I knew that Wrekage has been on for a looong time but I didn't know all this. Only recently have I found out that my show has been on for about 5 or 6 years and that there have been only 4 main hosts before me.

Haha I would like to see pictures of the 'screw guy incident!'
They had you do a drug test and the forgot to test for drugs???

WREKage-Paul
WREKage Staff

Post by WREKage-Paul » Fri September 22nd, 2006, 1:29 am

Metalfreak wrote:this is pretty damn cool to read. I knew that Wrekage has been on for a looong time but I didn't know all this. Only recently have I found out that my show has been on for about 5 or 6 years and that there have been only 4 main hosts before me.

Haha I would like to see pictures of the 'screw guy incident!'
I thought I had at least one pic of that memorable ( = weird) night.....I'll try to dig it out.

withered

Post by withered » Tue May 22nd, 2007, 9:49 am

wow, this makes me feel old. A flood of memories came back when paul mentioned Narcolepsy. I started coming around the station when my first band in high school, Necroflesh, made our first 2 song demo in '94-ish. Shawn was a great dude. Really good to us 16 year olds. We used to come out with narcolepsy on a semi-regular basis when the WREK room was kickin strong and the scene was fun. I miss the old station/building.......and the "ALT" "ESC" (that was it, right?) vending machine. That machine treated my 17 year old liver well.

Ahhh.....good times.

Mike

WREKage-Paul
WREKage Staff

Post by WREKage-Paul » Thu May 24th, 2007, 9:09 am

hahahaha, the fabled vending machine.

Good times indeed!