New to the Area

open forum for any and all conversations

Moderators: Brian, Metalfreak, MS_39455, AtlantaMetal Staff

Valhalla awaits

New to the Area

Post by Valhalla awaits » Thu July 14th, 2011, 11:14 am

Just moved down here to atalnta from MA, was woundering if there are any metal oriented clubs/bars i should check out. any suggestions?
"We are complicated things, and the world, is a fucking complicated place. im surprised i dont have a bloody nose from just thinkin bout it."

Mangled

Post by Mangled » Thu July 14th, 2011, 11:40 am

jacks pizza has a good juke box, but lately has had a pretty lame/hip crowd. Cheap drinks there though, solid place to meet some people i would say.

Odinson666

meh...

Post by Odinson666 » Thu July 14th, 2011, 1:35 pm

there used to be a metal bar here called 9 lives , but its now just a restaurant, check on here for postings of shows is your best bet, other than that i would say the closest thing to a metal bar in town is the highlander,

slut rag

Post by slut rag » Thu July 14th, 2011, 1:37 pm

i remember 9 lives.

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Thu July 14th, 2011, 1:54 pm

Yeah, Jack's is as close to a metal bar as this city gets but the jukebox is rad (other than most songs costing a dollar) and they've got $1 drafts and good/cheap pizza and wings.

As far as venues:

Masquerade: Popular and/or big name metal bands. They have decent shows on occasion but most are overpriced and/or stupid and alcohol is ludicrously expensive... like $5 for a 24oz PBR. http://masq.com

Drunken Unicorn: Smaller club that is pretty rad. Decent alcohol prices and decent to good shows of the metal variety which are reasonabely priced. Revocation just played there the other night. http://thedrunkenunicorn.net

Wonderroot: House that operates as a non-profit art space upstairs with shows in the basement. They have all kinds of shows but when metal/punk shows happen there they're usually good and packed cuz it's tiny. They sold $1 beers there before but it's kinda BYOB at the same time and I haven't been in a minute so I dunno what it's like now. Shows are usually cheap. http://wonderroot.org

Theres more but I'm slammed at work... ugh. Come out to the Coffin Dust show July 22nd at Wonderroot and say hey, there should be a gang of people there.
<a href="http://spewtilator.bandcamp.com">SPEWTILATOR</a> - Badass motherfuckin' street cops with nothing to lose who don't play by the rules and are out for blood.
Tricalibur wrote:I am looking for Skullcrusher and Dynamo.

Odinson666

hells yes

Post by Odinson666 » Thu July 14th, 2011, 2:00 pm

my buddy ted use to run the place , of course now most of you know him as the land lord at thunderbox , my old band use to play 9 lives almost once a week and ted always took care of the bands,

it atlanta is one of the few big cities that doesn't have a metal bar,

the metal travel lists this for the masquerade
The club isn't exclusively Metal, but any medium sized Metal tour that comes to Atlanta will most likely play here. It's an old factory, so the acoustics are not ideal, but other than that it's a decent place. Just check their website for upcoming events, ...

the fail to include that it mainly caters to the mall metal crowd

nocommands

Re: hells yes

Post by nocommands » Thu July 14th, 2011, 2:34 pm

Odinson666 wrote:my buddy ted use to run the place , of course now most of you know him as the land lord at thunderbox , my old band use to play 9 lives almost once a week and ted always took care of the bands,

it atlanta is one of the few big cities that doesn't have a metal bar,

the metal travel lists this for the masquerade
The club isn't exclusively Metal, but any medium sized Metal tour that comes to Atlanta will most likely play here. It's an old factory, so the acoustics are not ideal, but other than that it's a decent place. Just check their website for upcoming events, ...

the fail to include that it mainly caters to the mall metal crowd
masq does definitely cater to more of a mall metal crowd. When a band like deicide or morbid angel rolls through town though, thats most likely where they'll play

Acidic Consumption

Post by Acidic Consumption » Thu July 14th, 2011, 3:19 pm

yep..9 lives was the best bar we ever had. Ur in Marietta, u've got "The Local" inside Sidelines that has shows and right down the road from there u have definitely one of the best wing resturant's around- Wild Wing Cafe. I'm about to move to the Falls at Sope Creek next mth so i'll be visiting both quite frequently. Welcome to the ATL man...we've got a pretty good scene here, alot of us are just spread the fuck out around the area. This forum is a damn good resource so u came to the right place.

Metalfreak

Post by Metalfreak » Thu July 14th, 2011, 5:41 pm

Welcome to Atlanta! Yeah, like others said, just check out the concerts section of this forum. I also moved here from Mass...back in 1995. Haven't been back there since 2008. I'm actually gonna be moving to Tallahassee next month for grad school. I'll be back up for good shows and stuff though.

Shane mentioned we're spread out...that is so true! There's seems to be small clusters of metalheads in various places. Atlanta ofcourse, Marietta, Jonesboro, Kennesaw (which is close to Marietta) and some people live way in the middle of nowhere. But when there's a show, we will all be there!

Like Ryan said, Definitely check out the show at Wonderroot on the 22nd.

So what brought you here to the dirty south? :wink:

Metalfreak

Post by Metalfreak » Thu July 14th, 2011, 5:47 pm

I also remember 9 Lives. That place closed when I was almost 18. My dad was friends with Dave (the owner) so consequently from the time I was 15-17 I hung out there ALOT. I also used to live in Little 5 during that time too. I became friends with the afternoon crowd and the evening crowd. I met Skully there along with a few other people. Yeah that place was pretty awesome but there was lots of dope...I'm sure that's why Dave lost the place. He wound up selling it for stupid cheap. Since I was so young, I was always sober, sitting at the bar drinking coca cola lol I got drunk there only a few times when friends would buy me drinks yeah Dave never let me drink but that's probably for the better! I saw tons of bands there too...I couldn't even begin to tell you who I saw. There were so many. Great times :P

aaron

Post by aaron » Thu July 14th, 2011, 7:45 pm

Ryan wrote:Yeah, Jack's is as close to a metal bar as this city gets but the jukebox is rad (other than most songs costing a dollar) and they've got $1 drafts and good/cheap pizza and wings.

As far as venues:

Masquerade: Popular and/or big name metal bands. They have decent shows on occasion but most are overpriced and/or stupid and alcohol is ludicrously expensive... like $5 for a 24oz PBR. http://masq.com

Drunken Unicorn: Smaller club that is pretty rad. Decent alcohol prices and decent to good shows of the metal variety which are reasonabely priced. Revocation just played there the other night. http://thedrunkenunicorn.net

Wonderroot: House that operates as a non-profit art space upstairs with shows in the basement. They have all kinds of shows but when metal/punk shows happen there they're usually good and packed cuz it's tiny. They sold $1 beers there before but it's kinda BYOB at the same time and I haven't been in a minute so I dunno what it's like now. Shows are usually cheap. http://wonderroot.org

Theres more but I'm slammed at work... ugh. Come out to the Coffin Dust show July 22nd at Wonderroot and say hey, there should be a gang of people there.
Didn't Revocation bail on that show? Made me a little less sad that it was 18+

Odinson666

otp

Post by Odinson666 » Fri July 15th, 2011, 7:46 am

well your best bet is coming intown to find metal , once you get out side of 285 you turn back the clock about ten years ,
i always joke that i stay inside 285 because when i venture out of it i realize i'm in georgia,
most of the clubs i have played otp - outside the perimeter the bands are in a time warp and are trying to sound like spineshank

aside from the highlander i'd say alot of metal heads also hang at el myr , though they also seem to frequent little 5 pizza, and the flat iron in east atlanta
probably heard the most metal played in tattoo shops like sacred heart and 13 roses

most places in town have internet jukebox, however i have boycotted corner tavern's because they managers have the juke box set so metal can not be accessed until after a certain time
some friends of mine and i used to have brunch every weekend at corner tavern in little five but then they did this saying it scared the families away

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Fri July 15th, 2011, 8:52 am

aaron wrote:Didn't Revocation bail on that show? Made me a little less sad that it was 18+
Did they? Glad I didn't go then. Phil called me but I was busy and didn't get a chance to call him back. I saw something saying David had pneumonia or some shit and they had to cancel one of the next nights so probably the same deal. That sucks, being sick on the road is the worst.
<a href="http://spewtilator.bandcamp.com">SPEWTILATOR</a> - Badass motherfuckin' street cops with nothing to lose who don't play by the rules and are out for blood.
Tricalibur wrote:I am looking for Skullcrusher and Dynamo.

Valhalla awaits

Post by Valhalla awaits » Fri July 15th, 2011, 12:11 pm

Acidic Consumption wrote:yep..9 lives was the best bar we ever had. Ur in Marietta, u've got "The Local" inside Sidelines that has shows and right down the road from there u have definitely one of the best wing resturant's around- Wild Wing Cafe. I'm about to move to the Falls at Sope Creek next mth so i'll be visiting both quite frequently. Welcome to the ATL man...we've got a pretty good scene here, alot of us are just spread the fuck out around the area. This forum is a damn good resource so u came to the right place.
ha i live 30 seconds down the street from the falls in plantation ridge n my buddy works at wild wings.
"We are complicated things, and the world, is a fucking complicated place. im surprised i dont have a bloody nose from just thinkin bout it."

Valhalla awaits

Post by Valhalla awaits » Fri July 15th, 2011, 12:21 pm

thanks you've all be a great help, and im most likely going to be checkin out that show at the wonderroot so hopefully ill get a chance to meet some people

n what brought me to the dirty south metalfreak was the shitty ass cold, tightly packed north and all the bullshit that goes along with it lol