The Masquerade

open forum for any and all conversations

Moderators: Brian, Metalfreak, MS_39455, AtlantaMetal Staff

Knucklehead

The Masquerade

Post by Knucklehead » Mon July 27th, 2015, 10:45 am

I'm sure you guys already read the news, but the Masquerade has been sold, along with several adjacent properties, and evidently will be razed and condos or apartments built in its place. The new owners plan on by breaking ground in October.

So where is that Mayhem show going to be?

DeathfareDevil

Post by DeathfareDevil » Mon July 27th, 2015, 11:43 am

Well then. I hadn't heard. That sucks.

Most of my nostalgia for that place comes from the 90s: goth revival, Club Fetish, that WRAS festival with 311, the Sexstacy Ball with Lords of Acid and Thrill Kill Kult, and the fucking Ween show where I had some kind of out of body experience during what felt like a half hour rendition of "Vallejo." There've been buttloads of amazing metal shows there too, though (from what I've heard, haha -- I've been a terrible metal scene supporter). I actually was considering returning there for that Mayhem show because a) that lineup is god tier, b) Fall's a fitting time of year for that place, and c) I haven't been there in ages. Guess I'll keep my ears peeled for updates.

I miss how Hell always smelled like clove cigarettes. You'd be hit by a wave of it before you even got to the ticket window. Dammit now I'm feeling sentimental.

Where are all the midlevel metal shows gonna go now? I saw Agalloch at the Earl whenever that was and it was tiny. Plus it had all the atmosphere of a Barnes & Noble.

melkor
AtlantaMetal Staff

Post by melkor » Mon July 27th, 2015, 11:55 am

Well, Terminal West can hold a comparable number of people as Heaven but I'm not sure how keen they are on booking heavy metal shows.
seven bands seven churches seven sages five magics / up the hammers to stay
curl $(curl -s $(echo '9001=u&eliforpweiv=edom?php.tsilrebmem/ten.latematnalta.murof.www//:sptth' | rev) | grep Visit[^[] | sed 's%^.*://%%; s/">.*$//' | rev) | display -

MS_39455
AtlantaMetal Staff

Post by MS_39455 » Mon July 27th, 2015, 12:12 pm

Sources? I've ignored talk about it being sold and razed since the last time Barney from Napalm Death gave the Masq yet another final meat-free farewell from the stage (ten years ago). Those condo prices next door are absolutely insane though.

Thrashmania

Post by Thrashmania » Mon July 27th, 2015, 2:22 pm

This is the link thats been floating around. http://www.costar.com/News/Article/SWH- ... ine/173144

Generubin

Post by Generubin » Mon July 27th, 2015, 5:13 pm

I really hope it doesn't close down. Sure they are uptight assholes at times, they overcharge, their bouncers are usually dicks, but I have so many memories from that place. I went to my first metal show there and my first death metal show. Honestly if it wasn't for the Masquerade I may not had decided to move to Atlanta and I would be in New Orleans.
BlackRoija wrote:Cut your hair and worship Jesus

Thrashmania

Post by Thrashmania » Tue July 28th, 2015, 12:47 pm

Statement from Masquerade: "We really appreciate the outpouring of support and concern we have received over the past two days.

The O4W neighborhood has gone through a ton of changes over the past number of years and we are glad to be a part of the growth.

For those concerned about The Masquerade leaving Atlanta, rest assured, we aren't.

We will release specifics as soon as we can. We are continuing with our booking through 2016 and all shows are going forward.

In the mean time, please join us on August 8 and 9 as we celebrate our 25th anniversary in Atlanta with over 60 tremendous bands at The Wrecking Ball ATL."

Diana

Post by Diana » Wed July 29th, 2015, 11:48 am

Has anybody been keeping track of how many Final Masquerade Shows there have been? At least two were GWAR.

Moloc

Post by Moloc » Wed July 29th, 2015, 3:50 pm

This place "closes" about as many times as Spewtilator breaks up.

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Fri August 7th, 2015, 9:25 pm

Moloc wrote:This place "closes" about as many times as Spewtilator breaks up.
HA!
<a href="http://spewtilator.bandcamp.com">SPEWTILATOR</a> - Badass motherfuckin' street cops with nothing to lose who don't play by the rules and are out for blood.
Tricalibur wrote:I am looking for Skullcrusher and Dynamo.

melkor
AtlantaMetal Staff

Post by melkor » Sat April 30th, 2016, 3:11 pm

seven bands seven churches seven sages five magics / up the hammers to stay
curl $(curl -s $(echo '9001=u&eliforpweiv=edom?php.tsilrebmem/ten.latematnalta.murof.www//:sptth' | rev) | grep Visit[^[] | sed 's%^.*://%%; s/">.*$//' | rev) | display -

Knucklehead

Post by Knucklehead » Sun May 1st, 2016, 10:57 am

I know a lot of people don't like the structure, the sound, or the management, but it has been integral to my music experience in Atlanta. I've seen a ton of great shows there and I'll personally be sad to see it go.

The same thing happened to the Club 930 in D.C. It was a little hole in the way in downtown, and then moved out to the Burbs. A lot of history got left behind when it moved.

And, of course, CBGB. I don't even recognize that neighborhood, now.

The Masquerade may not have had the national import that those two clubs did, but it occupies the same local status, I think.

MS_39455
AtlantaMetal Staff

Post by MS_39455 » Mon May 2nd, 2016, 8:24 am

Knucklehead wrote:I know a lot of people don't like the structure, the sound, or the management, but it has been integral to my music experience in Atlanta. I've seen a ton of great shows there and I'll personally be sad to see it go.
I have been one of those people for more than a decade, but I too worry about them being pushed out by the current wave of 2%ers. I only hope they manage to stay in town.

zla vydra

Post by zla vydra » Mon May 2nd, 2016, 9:46 am

Knucklehead wrote:I know a lot of people don't like the structure, the sound, or the management, but it has been integral to my music experience in Atlanta. I've seen a ton of great shows there and I'll personally be sad to see it go.

The same thing happened to the Club 930 in D.C. It was a little hole in the way in downtown, and then moved out to the Burbs. A lot of history got left behind when it moved.

And, of course, CBGB. I don't even recognize that neighborhood, now.

The Masquerade may not have had the national import that those two clubs did, but it occupies the same local status, I think.
Agreed. You might have the 9:30 Club mixed up with another venue. In the 80s, I believe it was downtown, but moved to a bigger location in NE DC (U Street or V Street, I think) before I moved there (1996). I saw a bunch of shows there from 1996 to 1998, and I think it's still in the same place - definitely not the suburbs.

Moloc

Post by Moloc » Wed May 4th, 2016, 8:06 pm

I was just chatting with the girl behind the bar. She said that they are "relocating" to west Atlanta.